PDA

View Full Version : My new Melting pot.....Wok Burner!

finishman2000
06-10-2009, 05:18 PM
I just finished new pot project. Started with a 10" steel pipe and 1/4" plate welded to bottom. 1/2" gate valve screwed onto a welded 1/2 black nipple.
The burner is a wok burner that I found online for $30. The picture made it look small but when it came in i couldn't believe how much there is for the money. I welded bolts to the burner then welded the other end to the bottom of the pot. 1/2" nipple into the burner, welding hose bringing in the propane from the bbq tank.

It works like a champ, not bad on gas and holds alot of lead. It's 10" which is maybe a little to tall since I don't think I will put that much in at a time. May cut it to 6" which is wasier to skim.

zxcvbob
06-10-2009, 05:26 PM
Do you think the gate valve will hold up? What kind of packing does it have?

finishman2000
06-10-2009, 06:00 PM
nah it won't. I don't like it anyway. I have another type in mind but wanted to get going. I forget what it's called but should work better. I will try a street 90 first, it may be easier to use.

JeffinNZ
06-10-2009, 06:03 PM
MOTHER that's a big smelter. For casting you could fill her in January and cast till December!

finishman2000
06-10-2009, 06:39 PM
i did 3 5gal pails this afternoon, stepson helped sort through the weights and i poured and cleaned. then I melted down about 100lb of the stick on weights. I keep those sepperate.
I may be buying some range trap lead, just have to wait and see what they want per pound. I told them that id the price is right I'll take 10,000 pounds. Figure buy some tin and never run out of good hard boolits!