PDA

View Full Version : I may regret selling that mold .......

Jack Stanley
06-10-2009, 05:07 PM
Once upon a time I sold a nearly new H&G four cavity that made slugs for nine millimeter pistols . Since I rarely used it and wasn't likely to get a pistol to use the bullets in I sold the mold to a fella very happy to get it . And now you think ya know how this story ends ..............................[smilie=1:

Well , as it turns out , my oldest brother who hasn't used a pistol since he left the army years ago got hooked . :roll: It seems he enjoyed shooting his sons S&W model M&P so much , he went out and bought one chambered in nine millimeter :drinks: Much to the chagrin of his anti-gun wife .

Of course , since he is retired with a small income , just guess who is trying to help him out now ? Of course , there is this little thing I found at a gun show ..... big ol' heavy thing , had six holes in it ............ Said something about "Hensley & Gibbs" and "California" on it .

I might be able to help out big brother ...... just maybe :castmine:

Jack

Gunslinger
06-10-2009, 05:39 PM
Have been hearing a bit about those H&G molds, never seen one though. And the chance of getting a hold of one around these parts is pretty slim.

Jack Stanley
06-12-2009, 09:54 PM
I bought several Hensly & Gibbs molds through the years but all of them came from Oregon . Oddly enough , when I cleaned this one up it has San Diego stamped on it and the handle seem to be a bit smaller than my other six cavity molds .

I got a chance to warm it up the other night and cast about twelve pounds through it . Once it got up to temperature it worked rather well .

Jack

hammerhead357
06-13-2009, 04:57 PM
Jack sounds like you found one made before they moved to Oregon. I have several H & G moulds but I think all of mine were made when Wayne Gibbs owned the company and was in Oregon. I am sure that this mould will be as good as any made in Oregon. I think Wayne did do a few things to improve the moulds thru the years. I used to visit with him on the phone occasionally and he was a wealth of information. Usually could count on talking for quite sometime and learning a lot while enjoying it greatly.
Last I knew Wayne was a member here but I don't think he stops by anymore and that's to bad because he had a huge store of knowledge about making moulds.....Wes

jdgabbard
06-17-2009, 05:14 PM
I wish I could find a good h&g swc mold for .358 cal. I got to play with a wadcuter mold once, seemed that it was the Cadillac of molds... Very nice.

Jack Stanley
06-21-2009, 10:08 AM
Got a chance to warm it up a second time the other day and cooled about twenty pounds of lead into those dinky little holes . It started making good bullets much quicker this time than the last time I put heat to it .

Still I haven't had time to lube , size or load ammo for him . Wouldn't ya know it I got him scheduled to be here on the range thursday . Ah well , I was able to secure a few boxes of the CCI Blazer brass cased ammo so we can feed his new pistol .

jdgabbard , Keep a very cloase watch on the sale board here or even ask around a bit . I sold a six cavity wadcutter mold some time back both a .38 and a .44 I was the first to pounce on a mold for the .45 Colt round . The stuff is there , ya just don't see it a lot . I think there are some guys here that have some serious connections to these types of molds , try a few PM's and see what happens .

Jack