PDA

View Full Version : Survey

NSP64
06-10-2009, 10:31 AM
Has the current situation with powder/primers caused you to change your shooting habits? Answer with a 'yes' or 'no' and how if it has affected you.

NSP64
06-10-2009, 10:34 AM
YES, It has affected me. I have been doing far less informal plinking and load development. I am not out of either one but have been holding on to what I have. I used to shoot 200-300 rounds a week I now only shoot 200 a month.:(

sqlbullet
06-10-2009, 10:47 AM
no

My shooting frequency has reduced in coincidence to the shortage, but coincidence only. I just haven't been getting out as much due to pressure at work and home.

jhrosier
06-10-2009, 11:00 AM
Yes

I have a decent supply of components, but have been conserving them by shooting .22, of which I have a better supply.

Also the cost and scarcity of jacketed bullets has caused me to limit my shooting to calibers that I am set up for casting boolits.

I also had a rifle rebarreled in 30-221, strictly for cast boolit shooting and bought a new .22 target rifle to get the most out of the .22s.

Jack

Down South
06-10-2009, 11:19 AM
Not really, I don’t get as much opportunity to shoot as I used to with the work schedule that I have now. my plan is to shoot as much as I want to till I get down to a certain amount of components then I’ll start shooting only as needed.

dragonrider
06-10-2009, 11:31 AM
No it hasn't I have had a sufficient supply to continue

NSP64
06-10-2009, 11:41 AM
I haven't been hoarding componants I like to keep 1000 of shotgun,LP,LR on hand. as they get down to 500 I usually buy 1000 to bring them back up.

Trey45
06-10-2009, 12:02 PM
Yes,
I am shooting a lot more 22lr than centerfire. I'm shooting less than 200 centerfire a week, it used to be more. I have enough powder for years to come, primers for maybe 2 years if i shoot conservatively, like I've been doing. I replace what primers I can, when I can, which isn't as often as it has been in the past. I did have a stroke of good luck, I went to a gunshop for large and small pistol primers, all they had was rifle primers, I bought a brick of large rifle, figuring I may be able to trade my brick for a brick of pistol primers. At this point in time I was only reloading and casting for handguns. Since then, I have acquired a set of 7.62x39 dies, with M die and shell holder from a board member here, and I'll be borrowing a .315 spire point mould from a friend. My mini mausers bore readings dictate a mould of this size. It seems those primers I bought will come in handy afterall! :)

JDFuchs
06-10-2009, 12:09 PM
yes and no. Ive never been to big of a shooter, maby averaged 50 rounds of centerfire a month. But after I found the joy of my newer (to me) 38spl and 32 H&R its picked up to 150 rounds a month. But both of thoes are small pistol and I only have 400 primers left that i was able to get form a store that dose extream rationing and has not run out yet. So just as my shooting was picking up Ive had to bring it back down so im not out =/

Wayne Smith
06-10-2009, 12:15 PM
Not yet. My opportunity to shoot is limited to going to a range 45min away. What with responsibilities at work and home that is limited to maybe one trip a month. I have adequate primers and powder and .22 for that level of shooting. If the Boy Scouts call me I'll have to find some more .22's though. Not for this time but for the next.

Kraschenbirn
06-10-2009, 11:30 PM
Not a lot. Last fall, before the election, I put in a fairly (for me) large order for powder and primers from Grafs. Not any special foresight on my part, just a general restocking of supplies so that I could get ahead on my reloading over the winter. (I'd much rather spend my free time on the range than at the reloading bench when the weather's good.) While I've made a pretty good dent in my ammo supply since the weather broke, I've still got enough on hand to shoot for another couple of months and enough components on hand for another year or so at my present rate of consumption.

Bill

runfiverun
06-10-2009, 11:34 PM
nope.
learn't my lesson when clinton went in.
unless this lasts more than 3 years.

MT Gianni
06-10-2009, 11:39 PM
No, I have been aware of inventory since the Brady Bill.

oso
06-11-2009, 12:07 AM
Yes,
using the situation to get my gal to dry fire more!

briang
06-11-2009, 12:16 AM
No, I don't get to shoot as much as I'd like anyway. I can find enough components to satisfy my relatively low rate of use.

tommag
06-11-2009, 12:36 AM
Profit is way down for me (refrigerated trucking), so I had to start running into the N.E states. Now, I no longer carry anything wrth me, so no more shooting along the way.
I suffered during the early years of the Clinton admin, so I stocked up a bit last year. I have enough to last me a while, if I could ever find the time to get home and shoot.
So, I guess the answer is no, the shortage hasn't affecting my shooting habits, economics are.

S.R.Custom
06-11-2009, 12:59 AM
No, handloading and shooting habits have stayed the same. Unless you count swearin' and cussin'... That's gone up by an order of magnitude.

ronterry
06-11-2009, 01:35 AM
NO, Just my normal slow down in winter, but starting to get to the range between two & four times a month as it warms up around here. I average about 300-500rds per visit.
Lucky for me this big run on primers & powder peaked in my off season :) I buy my supplies in bulk every year to year in a half, and had no urge to stock up during this hoo-haa.

rhead
06-11-2009, 05:20 AM
No. I keep enough supplies on hand to ride out situatuons like this.

My decsion to enlarge my garden and put up more food this year slowed me down through reduced time. I have also set back a box full of components that are designated as Tiis won't get shot at paper. New gun purchases are down for me also.

Jim
06-11-2009, 06:23 AM
NO, Just my normal slow down in winter, but starting to get to the range between two & four times a month as it warms up around here. I average about 300-500rds per visit.
Lucky for me this big run on primers & powder peaked in my off season :) I buy my supplies in bulk every year to year in a half, and had no urge to stock up during this hoo-haa.

My cinnamons exactly.:-D

Bret4207
06-11-2009, 06:52 AM
No, but for me it's a matter of time. I thought, ( HAH!!!), that my retirement would allow me more leisure time. It's just the opposite. I get 45 minutes-1 hour to my self after the kids and wife leave for school. Other than that I'm straight out till 8-9:00PM except for meal breaks and babysitting duty. Who has time to shoot?

Leadforbrains
06-11-2009, 07:05 AM
Yes I have slowed down some what. I Have been a little more frugal at the range lately. Im' try to make what I do have last a long time.

bullshot
06-11-2009, 07:31 AM
A couple years before I retired I startd to mass loading components. Thought with limited income it would be the wise thing thing to do. One time I was wise and have plenty to ride this and maybe my life span out.

gnoahhh
06-11-2009, 07:50 AM
No, not really. You wouldn't believe (well, most of you here would!) how much extra powder, primers and bullets a pack rat can acquire in 40+ years of pursuing this hobby. That plus lucking into 3 bricks of RWS LR primers (2500/brick) a year ago (@$25/brick) has allowed me to weather the storm for now and the into the future. This has been an impetus for me to shoot a couple of muzzleloaders more of late though.

In terms of nudging me back toward the basics, maybe this whole component "shortage" has an upside.

DLCTEX
06-11-2009, 09:04 AM
No,I had been compiling components for years so I had a pretty good stockpile. My shooting has been curtailed by demands of work and family, so I've been shooting less. I hope to rectify that soon.

Hurricane
06-11-2009, 10:41 AM
Yes, I don't waste ammo any more. I shoot enough to keep in practice and to develop loads. After that I shoot more 22LR and airgun to fill in the recreational needs. As a result I will get all the practice I want and be a better shooter in the long run.

siwel
06-11-2009, 11:09 AM
No. I got back into reloading two months ago. I had 1800 primers and have bought 20K as they became available. I had less than 2# of powder and found an 8# keg @ PV.

I shoot 300-500 round per week.

I've also started casting in that time. I'm glad not to have to buy bullets.:mrgreen:

mold maker
06-11-2009, 11:38 AM
No, but for me it's a matter of time. I thought, ( HAH!!!), that my retirement would allow me more leisure time. It's just the opposite. I get 45 minutes-1 hour to my self after the kids and wife leave for school. Other than that I'm straight out till 8-9:00PM except for meal breaks and babysitting duty. Who has time to shoot?

I also had planed for retirement and thought the time I had always spent at work would suddenly be mine. Boy did I ever get fooled. How in the heck did we ever find time for the range before???? I have lots less time now than ever before. Now where did I put that honey do list????
It's a sure thing, I haven't time to be bored.

NSP64
06-14-2009, 08:29 PM
I traded off my .45 that wasn't being shot for a shotgun(plenty of primers available) and a .22 pistol and plan on taking up 'Skeet' shooting weekly.:drinks:

Catshooter
06-14-2009, 09:00 PM
Nope. I'm shooting way more now than the last ten years. I saw this coming.

Cat

Heavy lead
06-14-2009, 09:12 PM
No, the current "shortages" haven't slowed me, I've been lucky with a quick mouse, keyboard and credit card to find what I've needed. The work life has slowed me from shooting as much as I'd like though. Been the busiest first 6 months of the year I've ever had, I'm blessed, hope it keeps up.

stubshaft
06-14-2009, 09:14 PM
YES, I find myseld shooting alot more pistol and less and less rifle loads.

softpoint
06-14-2009, 09:22 PM
Not yet, Like others here, I had started to stash away for retirement, and had/have quite a bit of supplies. Being self employed, Iwas one of the first to see a work slowdown, so I'd have liked to have bought a few more supplies, but I probably have enough for 5-8 years, and could make do a lot longer if I had to.:brokenima

billyb
06-14-2009, 09:52 PM
Like others here as I approached retirement knowing money would be a little tighter until I learned how to function on a pention, I stock piled primers and some powder. Bill

captaint
06-15-2009, 10:07 AM
Haven't had to change my shooting habits - but I did drive drive 4 hours round trip to buy 3 thou LPP - at a very good price. Wouldn't normally do that!!!!

KY_Camper
06-15-2009, 10:21 AM
I have slowed way down, but not because of the shortage. Owning my own business takes up a lot more of my time than being an employee did.

mike in co
06-15-2009, 10:56 AM
no for the most part.
i have one lot of 223 target ammo that will have to wait for primers.

mike in co

ktw
06-15-2009, 11:21 AM
No.

I was well stocked up on components prior to 2007. My shooting activity is dependent on time (work, kids) rather than component supply.

-ktw

Junior1942
06-15-2009, 11:36 AM
No it hasn't I have had a sufficient supply to continueSame here.

Old Ironsights
06-15-2009, 11:58 AM
No,I had been compiling components for years so I had a pretty good stockpile. My shooting has been curtailed by demands of work and family, so I've been shooting less. I hope to rectify that soon.

Same boat.

PatMarlin
06-15-2009, 01:42 PM
It' great to see most are not slowing down. Viva La America....!!

Hip's Ax
06-15-2009, 02:13 PM
No, not at all. I shoot a match or practice almost every weekend and will continue to do so with no worry about supplies.

I stay WELL stocked on all consumables. Always have.

Now everyone who always laughed when I told them how much of something I bought at one time is not laughing at all. Just got home from a shoot and a lot of guys were being aweful nice to me asking how much powder and primers I had on hand. [smilie=1:

2ndAmendmentNut
06-15-2009, 03:00 PM
Yes. I have started to shoot, reload, and buy more powder & primers then ever. Rounds that used to be cheap and available are now expensive if you can find them at all. I have got more friends into handloading and casting then ever before. I am casting and loading for 9mm and many other calibers that before I had never considered worth it. So my answer without any doubt is YES my habits have changed to suit these times of change.

August
06-15-2009, 05:23 PM
No, we went through this about fifteen years ago and I learned my lesson then. Two years minimum on hand. If you shoot competitively, you have to be prepared for all contingencies. I will, however, be relieved when I'm able to replenish the stock.

9.3X62AL
06-15-2009, 05:38 PM
I've posted previously that I slowed my shooting down since the Hoard-In Of 2009 got started, but in looking over my brass accumulation on the loading bench.......maybe not. Shooting habits and practices have altered, though--lots less paper punching, and lots more hunting these days. Yes, being a ground squirrel or jackrabbit is a VERY TOUGH occupation these days. And, did I EVER go through the 8 x 57 cast loads at NCBS. Hijo la!

leadman
06-15-2009, 08:38 PM
I am shooting and loading a little slower than last year, but not due to the hoarding.

Big Boomer
06-15-2009, 09:10 PM
No, the current situation has not changed my habits at all. My move to southern Ky. changed things a good bit because I don't know of a good shooting range like I had when I lived in southern Ohio and was a member at NorthEast Kentucky Fish and Game Club.

However, over the years I stocked up on powder and primers and have a lifetime supply. In my case, that's not hoarding. I just bought the things I was going to need while I had the money. Glad now that I did!

The only thing I have purchased in the last few years was 1,000 LPP a few weeks back. I didn't like the price at all! Like 4 times what I was paying when I made most of my purchases ($ 40 compared to $ 10). 'Tuck

BOOM BOOM
06-18-2009, 01:04 AM
HI,
I am doing more careful research before I buy.
Shooting my K-22 more, by this time in the summers past I would have shot 500+ 7mm/06 & 600+ 357 . This summer I have shot maybe 200 -357 in load development. Will do the same research later for the 44mag .
In the past I would have shot 1000-7MM/06,1000-357, & 1000-44 before the deer hunt starts.

JIMinPHX
06-18-2009, 01:51 AM
Yes I shoot a lot less. No I haven't stopped any of the shooting that is actually important to me.

WILCO
06-18-2009, 02:14 AM
Ammo shortage caught me with my pants down as I'd been out of formal shooting for a spell. Am now spending money I don't have to get what I need and remain afraid to shoot what I get stashed away.................The ammo game will end one of two ways:

1) The bubble bursts and supply catches up with demand.

2) Those of us with items in demand will be huddled in darkened basements awaiting daylight. :(