PDA

View Full Version : Primers in Redding Equipment

August
03-11-2006, 03:20 PM
I have had two issues in my short relationship with redding equipment. First, the redding primer seating device on the T-7 press I purchased would not fit through the opening on the RCBS shell holder that I had for 45-70 cases from my old press (an RCBS). I had to order a shell holder of Redding manufacture.

Second, the primer pick-up tube that came with the Slide Bar Automatic Primer system gets bound up every time I attempt to load primers into it. I am using federal primers (215M). The binding is so bad that I have to use a cleaning rod and mallet to get the primers out. (yes, I'm wearing my safety glasses).

Can anyone advise me about this situation?

Thanks.

utk
03-11-2006, 06:53 PM
Did you ask Redding?

StarMetal
03-11-2006, 07:22 PM
I talked to RCBS about the same problem with there primer seater and using other brand shellholder....the lady said give me the calibers you reload and I'll send you shellholders for those...free. Anyways I guess RCBS's shellholder has a larger funnel portion in the bottom and I modified my other brands to work with it.

Joe

j4570
03-12-2006, 10:45 PM
I have had no problems using LEE or Lyman shellholders with my RCBS equipment, or with my Lyman press.

versifier
03-13-2006, 04:09 PM
August,
This may seem at first like a wiseass answer, but I mean it seriously. Put your Redding primer system in its box and sell the worthless *** on evilbay. Then you can get one that works properly all the time. Although they limit you to CCI or WIN primers, Lee AutoPrime and the even better and more versatile Lee AutoPrime2 are the quickest and most hassle-free units on the market. Most other priming systems that I've seen and tried over the years have been awkward, difficult to use, and not worth the powder to blow them to hell. RCBS's APS system is OK, but it's #3 on the list. The AP2 is press mounted, with a built-in flip tray, it uses regular shell holders, and isn't picky about which brand, either (I have Lyman, RCBS, & Lee). You don't touch the primers, you can see when they're running low, there are no opaque metal pickup tubes to waste time filling or other unwieldy solutions from the Kludge School of HalfAssed Engineering. And it costs less than a package of primers. Mine sits on one corner of the bench, mounted on one of their small Reloader presses (got it free with the Lee manual) that I also use for sizing boolits with push-through dies, but you can put it on any single stage machine, including the turret of your T-7, too. (I have had four other priming tools gathering dust for between 10 and 35 years). It's made with some plastic parts, yes, but there have been well over 10,000 rounds primed on mine so far with no signs of wear. I swear by it instead of at it, and I highly recommend it.