PDA

View Full Version : a few more 8mm questions

jballs918
03-11-2006, 03:26 AM
hey guys these should be quick. first one, can i use a winchester 32 special expander dye on the 8mm. they are both .323. also does anyone out there in tv land have a good over all lengh for the cartiage. i need to make sure my bullets are long enough. im using a rcbs 32-170-fn. and im using 30-06 brass and im getting crinkles on my shoulders. i this normal it did it all on them. and when they get fired will they streighten out. thanks guys

Buckshot
03-11-2006, 08:28 AM
hey guys these should be quick. first one, can i use a winchester 32 special expander dye on the 8mm. they are both .323.

...............With a .323" expander the casenecks will spring back to a smaller ID. That probably won't do your cast boolits a bunch of good. I hate to suggest a heavy taper reamed into the casemouth unless you've been around the block a few times. It's easy to do too much. But it can help funnel the slug in, in an otherwise expanded casemouth.

...............If you're boolits mike .323" you want the caseneck ID to be about .321" for a good grip. In order to keep from messing up the slug or crumpling the casemouth the mouth needs to be flared to just over the boolit OD. Maybe about .325" or so. The Lyman M die for the 8mm does this.

also does anyone out there in tv land have a good over all lengh for the cartiage.

................Not offhand, as I'm at work and not home. Check seating depth first of all via your magazine in the rifle. That is assumeing you're wanting to strip them out of the magazine? Gently go to chamber one. You might have to seat the slug deeper. If not and it chambers and extracts, then THAT is a good seating depth because you have it out as far as it will go and still feed.

i need to make sure my bullets are long enough. im using a rcbs 32-170-fn. and im using 30-06 brass and im getting crinkles on my shoulders. i this normal it did it all on them. and when they get fired will they streighten out. thanks guys

...............Your 'crinkles' might be lube dimples. I take it they run up and down the shoulder? Means you're using a tad more lube then you have to. However, I'd sure rather have minor lube creases (yes, they'll blow out) then to stick a case in the die! I like Imperial sizing lube, especially for case forming. Just a little dab'll do ya!

..................Buckshot

Junior1942
03-11-2006, 08:32 AM
Take a fired case and neck size it just a tad down the neck just far enough to barely hold a bullet. Then start a bullet. Then chamber the round and let the bolt seat the bullet into the case and against the beginning of the lands. Eject it and measure the C.O.A.L. You will then know the COAL to the lands.

See if the round will feed from the magazine. If it does, set your seating die for that COAL or a little less.

The COAL to the lands in my Turk 38 with the same RCBS cast bullet is 2.916".

charlie45
03-11-2006, 06:26 PM
Two good suggestions there. I read, way back in the old post some where to place cases in a zip-loc bag and use two light squirts of lube. Mix well and there you go. I also keep a clean paper towel handy and wipe off any that have excss lube on them. They just need to be slick not wet. Size and enjoy!