PDA

View Full Version : star bullet sizer questions...

TriggerHappyAndy
06-08-2009, 05:07 PM
Hello everybody!
Andy from Sweden here, new on the forum and not yet a very experienced bullet caster. After reading on this forum I want to get rid of my RCBS LAM II and get a star bullet sizer instead. Does anyone know where to get one? Or perhaps even has one for sale? And is it possible to use the add-ons for a magma on a star press?

Really great forum, I´ve been sitting here for six hours now reading posts!

KYCaster
06-08-2009, 06:04 PM
Welcome Andy.

Magma is the current manufacturer of the Star sizer. That would be the place to order one, but I don't know if they export.

All the accessories will fit the new machines and should work with the old ones as well, since there has been very little change in the design over the years.

Two members here, Buckshot and Lathesmith will make sizing dies for the Star to your specs and at a much lower price than Magma.

Jerry

HeavyMetal
06-08-2009, 06:09 PM
Welcome Aboard!

KY has it right, I also wouldn't get rid of the RCBS unless you need to cash to fund the Star!

I have two Stars and found when I got my pointed semi wadcutter GB molds that I needed a push pull type sizer to get them to lube and size with out deforming the nose.

So sit on it if you can you may find a need or a great trade later on down the road!

TriggerHappyAndy
06-09-2009, 12:34 PM
Thanks for the info guys! I found one for sale in excellent condition that I am buying now. Here are some pictures, any feedback and comments on it would be appriciated. I payed $250 for it. That is the same price as a new magma star, but I understand that they don´t ship over seas.
http://i.ebayimg.com/15/!BTwnuF!CGk~$(KGrHgoH-DsEjlLl1JwPBKKF+!IqHg~~_1.JPG
http://i.ebayimg.com/02/!BTwnskQCGk~$(KGrHgoH-D4EjlLlzw8!BKKF-3Yji!~~_1.JPG

runfiverun
06-09-2009, 01:42 PM
looks like the new ones.
you need a sizer,a punch and some lube.
there is a bit of a learning curve to get it running right but once you do it flies through the boolits and does a good job on them.
apparently midway sells a heater base that will fit these now.

Norseman
06-22-2009, 08:05 AM
Hello Andy!

They sure ship overseas, but then Norway is much nearer USA than Sweden [smilie=1:

My Magma sizer is silver coloured where your is blue.

But be sure to order your sizing dies from Lathesmith. He delivers excellent quality.

TriggerHappyAndy
06-22-2009, 02:09 PM
Hello neighbor, I have already ordered three dies from lathesmith. Visited våpendepotet lately?

Dale53
06-22-2009, 05:54 PM
TriggerHappyAndy;
Congratulations on your purchase. I have had a Star for many, many years and tens of thousands of bullets sized with MUCH satisfaction.

HeavyMetal:
I have two Stars and found when I got my pointed semi wadcutter GB molds that I needed a push pull type sizer to get them to lube and size with out deforming the nose.

I, long ago, converted to nose first sizing with the Star with COMPLETE satisfaction. It works with all of the GRoup Buy moulds that I have purchased plus all of the various calibers that I load for. I DO prefer the RCBS and LYMAN for gas checked bullets (I expecially like the gas check seater with the Lyman). I keep black powder lube in my RCBS, also.

Dale53