PDA

View Full Version : Crescent Butt Plate

HEAD0001
06-08-2009, 05:02 PM
The only part of my Browning Low Wall that I do not like is the crescent butt plate. The bottom of the plate is a little sharp. And occasionally it digs into my shoulder.

I am going to order a leather butt plate cover from Levergun Leather Works. He asked me to send him an outline of the stock.

Has anyone here ordered one of the butt plate covers?? Does it help with the sharper lower end of the metal crescent butt plate?? Should I order the cover with the crescent shape?? Or should I straighten the back edge--and use a filler inside the leather cover to fill in the crescent?? If I should fill the crescent, then what should I fill it with?? Thanks, Tom.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o223/HEAD0001/HOOKS/IMG_0583.jpg

August
06-08-2009, 05:56 PM
Yes get a butt cover. It makes a lot of difference. Please don't alter that beautiful gun.

Check out Kirkpatrick, call Rachel and see what she has to say.

Taco Belly
06-08-2009, 07:18 PM
I have one of those covers on my Low Wall and like it very much. Like you said, I had to draw an outline and send it in. The cover fits perfectly. The rear piece of leather is may 1/8-1/4 inch thick, and does smooth out the crescent line a bit. Recommended.

Treeman
06-09-2009, 12:28 AM
Can anyone explain WHY the crescent buttplate ever became popular/ standard on so many19th century designs? Having "enjoyed" the pain inflicted by those instruments of torture they no longer appear beautiful to me. I'm a happy stock hacker.

C A Plater
06-09-2009, 06:38 AM
Back then, rifles were mounted more to the arm instead of the shoulder with the point going just under the armpit. Mounted that way is far less uncomfortable to shoot but it takes some getting used to.

Bret4207
06-09-2009, 08:02 AM
I covered the crescent buttplate on my 44 mag Puma. I cut a piece of dense foam to fit and put the cover over that. Works fine.

Yup, the crescent isn't supposed to fit in the shoulder, it fits out on the ball of the arm/shoulder junction. It's much nicer with low recoiling rifles than with the big guys.

45r
06-09-2009, 10:31 AM
I'd get the pad as soft as possible.I got the sporter model with the Pac pad on my Win 45-70 and it really helps with the heavy loads.

docone31
06-09-2009, 10:41 AM
I do not like covering butt pads.
That is the plains style butt pad. Possibly, a different "school" type might fit better.
It will be a bit of work, but that rifle is purty enough to make it worth while.
You might call Track of the Wolf, or Dixie gun works.
They are easy enough to finish up.

redneckdan
06-09-2009, 01:38 PM
My buffalo classic has the crescent butt with metal plate. The plate is border line sharp, you can shave your finger nail with the edge. At first I used a couple layers of cardboard between me and the rifle. Recoil would cut through the layers in about 5-6 shots. I got one of the bob allen shotgun sissy pads when walmart had them on clearance. Doesn't do much for recoil but at least it keeps me from getting cut up.

kirb
06-09-2009, 01:49 PM
I had and old gel bike seat from one of the kids still around cut a strip just a little smaller than the buttplate works great
Lirb