PDA

View Full Version : another one of those things i should have bought years ago.

Lloyd Smale
06-08-2009, 03:42 PM
Just got a dillon motorized trimmer and dies for 223 and 308. To say this thing is fast and accurate is the biggest understatement of my life. You can trim and champer your brass as fast as you can feed it into a press. comparing it to my motorized rcbs trimmer is like comparing a model A to a porche!!!

JesterGrin_1
06-08-2009, 10:21 PM
Come on now Lloyd do not hold back tell us how you really feel about your new Whiz Bang Gizmo lol. :)

garandsrus
06-09-2009, 12:34 AM
Lloyd,

Does the Dillon trimmer chamfer the case now? It didn't in the past.

I have read where some people got away without chamfering by using a Lyman M die to expand the case neck a little. This would allow the bullet to be seated without scratches from the case mouth. This could of course be done right after trimming on a spare station in the tool head.

John

Slow Elk 45/70
06-09-2009, 03:04 AM
Hullo Loyde , sounds like you have a winner there.

Slow Elk 45/70
06-09-2009, 03:06 AM
Lloyd sorry I misspelled your handle , I must be slipping.....again[smilie=1:

JesterGrin_1
06-09-2009, 03:08 AM
Yep sounds like a real Weiner lol. :) If you can not beat them join them Slower Elk lol. :)

Lloyd Smale
06-09-2009, 06:52 AM
its cutter is at an angle so when it trims it inside champers. It cut so cleanly that outside champering isnt even needed. Only downfall is it isnt cheap but my grandkids pitched together and bought it for me for an early fathers day gift. I had mentioned before the fire that i wanted one and doubt if i would have bought it myself right now as i have other prioritys but after using it im sure glad they bought it for me.
Lloyd,

Does the Dillon trimmer chamfer the case now? It didn't in the past.

I have read where some people got away without chamfering by using a Lyman M die to expand the case neck a little. This would allow the bullet to be seated without scratches from the case mouth. This could of course be done right after trimming on a spare station in the tool head.

John

auzzie101
06-09-2009, 09:45 AM
Lloyd, is this the trimmer you are talking about? Dillon's Rapid Trim 1200B Case Trimmer

garandsrus
06-09-2009, 10:41 AM
Lloyd,

Thanks... I have a combination Gracey and Giraud trimmer for .223 and 30-06. It is faster to run the case through the trimmer than it is to measure it to figure out if it needs to be trimmed. You should be in the same boat.

John

jmorris
06-09-2009, 10:41 AM
They are fast but Dillon could have found a motor that didn't make so much noise.

runfiverun
06-09-2009, 12:03 PM
i hooked up the vacuumn tube to mine the little 5 gal shop vac is louder.
i wear earmuffs when zipping through a bunch of brass.
oh yeah the dillon sizer puts about 5 thou neck tension on a bullet it is nice to have if you got a cae full of h-414 and don't want the bullets to back outta the case.

Kevin Rohrer
12-01-2010, 02:17 PM
I am in the market for a power trimmer and am seriously looking at the Dillon 1200B.

My question is: As I don't want to use it in conjunction with a resizing die, can I attach it to any other die (possibly one of Dillon's powder dies) on another press w/o a problem? That part is a bit vague when reading the description on Dillon's site.

jmorris
12-01-2010, 02:27 PM
You are obviously going to size some how before trimming, I do this on station one of a 650. The trimmer has it’s own proprietary size die that it mounts to. I adjust this die so it doesn’t resize the case but will hold it in place to trim, this is on station #3. On #5 I put another size/deprime/expander die to make sure everything is well ironed out.

Kevin Rohrer
12-02-2010, 01:39 PM
And if you adjust the die to not size, how do you adjust the trimmer to trim to a certain length?

And more importantly, I plan on mounting it either on a 12-station Hollywood Universal Turret or an 8-station Hollywood Senior Turret. Will there be enough room to do this amidst all the other dies that will be mounted on the turret?