PDA

View Full Version : Interarms Mark X?

dk17hmr
06-08-2009, 09:39 AM
Just picked up a Mark X in 243 Super Rockchucker, basically a 6mm-06. It is wearing a Fajen Benchrest stock, a 30" Hart barrel, and a 20x Weaver. I dont know if I am sold on the Fajen stock, it has a funny feel to me, and kind of want to go with a synthetic varmint/tactical style stock.
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f208/dk17hmr/243.jpg
Th Interarms Mark X is suppose to be a Mauser style action. Anyone know if a 98 stock with fit it? I see there are more stocks for a 98 Mauser out there than a Interarms Mark X.

This 243 Super Rock Chucker is a pretty neat round. Right now I am pushing a 75gr hollow point at 3750fps and the accuracy is just starting to come in. At 3500fps it was shooting about 1.5" at 100 yards, at 3750fps it shrunk down to .460" c-t-c for 5 shots, which is good but not good enough.

Charlie Sometimes
06-08-2009, 10:00 AM
Man, that looks like a nice shooter!
If it has been "accurized" with that stock (1/2 moa @ 3750fps), then why start all over with a synthetic? I love the laminate stocks- not only do they function well, but when they look good and shoot good too, you fell better for it. JMHO.

"Mauser-style action" can mean a lot of different things- don't think a Mark X would be interchangable with a 98, though.

Heavy lead
06-08-2009, 10:02 AM
Doug, myself I would keep that stock. I've got a 6mm-06 and it is a smokin' round. As far as what fits it, yes a 98 Mauser stock will fit it, you will just have to rasp a bolt handle notch as most come without that inlet.
What twist do you have in that?

docone31
06-08-2009, 10:12 AM
They are Mausers. You have to measure the front ring of the reciever.
I had a MKX that was a Swede Mauser in .338 Win Mag.
There are a lot of stocks to fit it. My wonder is why? Like was said, if it is bedded and prints, why start over?
Laminates do not move much in weather. They are pretty stable, and heavier than wood, or plastic.
Who knows, you might get used to it.
I would keep it that way for a while, just to see.

BPCR Bill
06-08-2009, 10:18 AM
A synthetic stock will lighten it up considerably, but recoil will increase as a result. Most varmint / benchrest folks like their rifles as heavy as they can get them, alot steadier on a rest. A laminate stock is every bit as durable as a synthetic, so unless you are carrying that rifle for great distances over rough terrain, why bother? I have a M70 375 H&H with a Boyds laminate. It weighs in at 10 pounds, and I carry it Elk hunting. It is steady and accurate, and at the end of the day, that is what counts.
The Mark X action has the commercial trigger safety. M98's and the FN Belgian Mauser actions have the bolt shroud safety.
Most actions that are advertised as "Mauser Style" have two things in common. A claw extractor, and a combination bolt stop / ejector mechanism that allows bolt removal.
You state that .460" at 100 yards is "Not Good Enough", but I think that is pretty darned good. How many rounds have been through that barrel? How many have you put through it? If you want "extreme" accuracy, have you adressed what the Bench Rest shooters do to their rifles? Like having the locking lugs and recesses lapped? Benchrest dies? If you want 5 shot "Bug holes" at 100 yards, then changing the stock will probably get you further away from that goal, not closer.

Regards,
Bill

dk17hmr
06-08-2009, 10:29 AM
Maybe I will just do some sanding on it to make it fit me better. It needs to be sanded and refinished anyway. If I cant get use to it I will look for another stock and sell that one.

The barrel is a 1:10. I was given some ammo and the load the guy had for it. I shot the ammo the other day at the range and **** canned the load as half of the ammo burned through the primer.

I am using Hornady 75gr Hollow Points, H4831SC, Winchester Large Rifle Primers, and sized and trimmed Federal 270 Win Brass. At 3800fps this bullet only needs 6.5 MOA to hit 500 yards. I used 240 Weatherby Max loads for a starting load for this.

I also picked up some Serria 70gr Match Kings to try but havent done anything with them yet. Nosler 70gr Ballistic tips did pretty well, I only had 8 left over from my 243 win days. I am working to get a good load for this quickly as we are going to Montana at the end of the month on a p-dog shoot. Between this and my 25-06 I think we can get our 1000 yard dogs. The way it looks the 75gr Hornady will be my bullet, they are fairly cheap and seem to be accurate. Im sure I wouldnt have a problem killing big game with it also.

Recoil wouldnt be a problem with this no matter what stock is on it. It weighs in at 15 pounds as is right now, plus I have a Harris Bi-pod for it.

GabbyM
06-08-2009, 11:00 AM
If you're going after 1000 yard dogs I'd go with the 87 grain Hornady V-Max ballistic tip. The BC is a respectable .400. Ability to shoot higher BC bullets is where you'll have an advantage with the big 06 case over the 243's. I shoot the 87's in my 243 Ackley. If I want a light bullet I shoot my 223 with 50 gr Sierra green tips. It's good to 450 yards on dogs. Have made a 554 meter kill after about seven shots. About three to get on target then a few in a nice group until one connected. I saw a P dog shot once at over 700 yards on the second shot. With a 243 Win.

BPCR Bill
06-08-2009, 04:49 PM
I find with my 257 AI that Reloader 15 and slower powders work best for the lighter varmint boolits. I use the 4831SC for the 120gr big game loads. Where are ya going shooting dogs in Montana? I'm from there and will be doing the same thing next week. 1000 yards is a pretty fair challenge for prairie dogs, especially when that plains wind starts to pick up. Last year it was snowing in June, so I bagged that plan. Have fun, good luck!

Regards,
Bill

dk17hmr
06-08-2009, 05:01 PM
We will be in the Grass Range area. We shoot on the same dog town ever few years for a couple days. No one else shoots this town and the Rancher tells us every time we are out there that we cant come back if we dont get them all. The town is about 1/2 mile wide and 2 miles long. We ussally only do a few hours in the morning and a few hours before dark off the benches, the rest of the day we walk around shooting off hand and in field positions, with AR's, 22 rifles, and handguns.

Leadforbrains
06-08-2009, 05:16 PM
Beautiful looking rifle.
I wouldn't change a thing!

BPCR Bill
06-09-2009, 11:54 AM
We will be in the Grass Range area. We shoot on the same dog town ever few years for a couple days. No one else shoots this town and the Rancher tells us every time we are out there that we cant come back if we dont get them all. The town is about 1/2 mile wide and 2 miles long. We ussally only do a few hours in the morning and a few hours before dark off the benches, the rest of the day we walk around shooting off hand and in field positions, with AR's, 22 rifles, and handguns.

Grass Range and the Winnet area are great P-dog areas. I have a rancher friend I grew up with out of Harlowton, I get on several places up there without even asking. Don't forget to pop a few coyotes. I'm heading back there next week. Stop to bag a few dogs and gophers, then on to Forsyth for the Quigley match. Hope it isn't snowing again.

Regards,
Bill

runfiverun
06-09-2009, 01:12 PM
Doug..... it's probably the length that's bothering you. and 1/8th or quarter inch makes a big diff.
look at the recoil pad area first, then slide the scope back or forth to suit you.

Four Fingers of Death
06-10-2009, 03:43 AM
I have one in 3006 with the pLastic stock. It is affectionately known as 'ol' painless.'

Great rifle, but I'm pretty sure they are a bit different in the stock.

At one stage the plastic MkXs were like b ums out here, everyone had one.

There' keepers

Houndog
06-10-2009, 08:20 PM
If I were going after dogs and yotes at 1K yards with a 6-06, I'd be looking at either the 107 Match King, a Berger in the same weight, or a 115 Clinch River bullet. Any of these bullets will stay supersonic at 1K, unlike the 75 or 87 grain bullets you mentioned. The transition from supersonic to subsonic does some wierd things to bullets at that range, and none of it is good! Talk to some other 1K benchrest shooters and see if they don't tell you the same thing.

OBXPilgrim
06-10-2009, 09:30 PM
My 30-06 MKX with Bell & Carlson fiberglass stock works all the time, everytime. Killed lots of deer since I put it together from a barrelled action in 1987. Doesn't seem that long ago in terms of firearms, but it's a good one.

I've never had to readjust zero due to it moving - only if I'd changed loads in it.

Should work well for you.

Ben
06-10-2009, 11:16 PM
The bottom metal on a Mark X is not the same dimensions as a K - 98. The front tang is shorter.

Stocks are not 100% interchangeable between a Mark X and a K - 98.

Ben

Four Fingers of Death
06-11-2009, 10:21 AM
The bottom metal on a Mark X is not the same dimensions as a K - 98. The front tang is shorter.

Stocks are not 100% interchangeable between a Mark X and a K - 98.

Ben

You are o nthe money there Ben, I couldn't remember the difference, thanks,

Four Fingers.

6pt-sika
06-11-2009, 11:42 AM
I have a pair of Interarms Mark X "Whitworths" they both started life as 375 H&H MAG barreled actions and were purchased new by the father of a friend .

He stocked one in french walnut and his oldest son stocked the other in a Pacific Research (I think) synthetic stock .

The walnut one is still a 375 but the other before I took possesion I had them rebarrel it to 416 REM MAG .

Now granted these aren't deer rifles and much less prarie dog guns but they shoot VERY VERY VERY WELL !

So I can't imagine your 6mm-06 doing anything but great if whomever put the rifle together did a good job !

Marine Sgt 2111
07-09-2009, 10:50 PM
The first Mark X that I bought was in 1974 when I was 18 and with handloads it would put three shots into 1.25" at 150 yards. The only drawback was that the rifle had a sporter barrel and after the barrel warmed up from repeated shots...the groups would open up. So foolishly I sold it.

The second Mark X was made up from a long magnum action that someone ordered from me and never returned to pick it up. So after three years, I put a Shaw barrel on the action, in .375 H&H, picked up a used Withworth stock from Sarco and I now had a large varmint rifle. I would not hesitate to recommend to anyone an Interarms Mark X rifle.

Hardcast416taylor
07-10-2009, 02:11 AM
I had a Mark X in 7 Rem. mag., one of the first sold to dealers. Wouldn`t eject fired brass correctly, drop the case on the magazine before hitting the ejector. To lighten your stock try the old gunsmith trick of removing the recoil pad and having several 5/8" or 3/4" holes drilled 6" or more in length in the butt stock. Dab some linseed oil in the raw wood holes and reinstall the recoil pad. Wood can also be removed in the forearm where there is no contact with the barrel bedding. Robert

Four Fingers of Death
07-10-2009, 09:09 AM
About the only negative I have ever heard is that care is needed when changing barrels. They have been known to twist the actions sometimes, but if you know about this and proceed carefully, there is no problem. There are thousands and thousands of them doing good work in Australia, they were very popular.

Four Fingers of Death
01-30-2011, 07:41 PM
I have one in 3006 with the pLastic stock. It is affectionately known as 'ol' painless.'

Great rifle, but I'm pretty sure they are a bit different in the stock.

At one stage the plastic MkXs were like b ums out here, everyone had one.

There' keepers

A bit different to the standard Mauser I meant, apart from the trigger assembly from memory, but I can't remember what th edifference is.

One issue with the MkXs (pronounced Mark ten, actually a Serbian made rifle, currently marketed as the 798 Remington) used to be that the barrels were very tight (probably fitted pneumatically or similar). If rebarreling, care had to be taken, most come off with a fair bit of slowly applied force, but some damaged the action if removed carelessly, so the story goes according to my gunsmith that built lots of custom rifles on them.

Old painless is fitted with Conertol Projectionless mounts and rings (custom altered to fit the gun exactly without any overhang and an old 2-7VariX11 Leupold scope sight, nice outfit) ended up being my son's rifle, but her let his license lapse some years back and had actually forgotten about it and the Ruger M77 Mk2 220Swift that are in my safe.

I was given a hundred or so 30/06 hunting rounds and about 60 brass cases that I loaded for a friend's father 10 or more years ago. They have Nosler Ballistic tip bullets fitted. That load was dyn-o-mite! in my rifle and worked well in the old guys gun as well. That brings the number of rounds I have for the 3006 up to I don't know what, it is definetly in four figures, but about a third of the way to four figures I suppose. My license plates are SP3006! I guess I will shelve plans to buy a 270 for the moment and burn up some thirty ought six!