PDA

View Full Version : how to cleam mold after use?

finishman2000
06-08-2009, 06:20 AM
After I cast I have some thin lead on the top of mold and on the bottom of the sprue cutter. How is the best way to remove it? I tried a razor blade but doesn't seem to get it all. is is possible to get it off?
Thanks, cas

Hickory
06-08-2009, 06:45 AM
I have found that if you use a propane torch to heat the mould
and sprue cutter , and while wear gloves wipe the areas with an
old heavy cotton towel. Be careful the towel dose not come in contact
with the torch flame.
Works for me.

Bret4207
06-08-2009, 07:30 AM
Steel wool (4/0) will work if you rub the mould while still warm.

44man
06-08-2009, 07:39 AM
My secret is to never allow any lead there in the first place. Let the sprue cool more.
I have tried many times to solder aluminum and iron for some reason or other and it is about impossible yet lead sticks to a mold???? [smilie=1:

cajun shooter
06-08-2009, 07:44 AM
That is the work of them little Gremlins 44 Man. I can try all day to throw a bait through a small loop of line but let me go by it and the line will snag it; work of them Gremlins

mroliver77
06-08-2009, 08:09 AM
My pal tells me Murphy has different laws foe each application.
On subject. I bought a 3 piece set of small brushes at Wally World. A plastic, a bronze and a stainless wire. I use the bronze for mold cavity cleaning/prep and the stainless for cleaning the outside when the mold is hot.
Jay

44man
06-08-2009, 08:13 AM
That is the work of them little Gremlins 44 Man. I can try all day to throw a bait through a small loop of line but let me go by it and the line will snag it; work of them Gremlins
You should see me with a fly rod! :bigsmyl2: WHAT TREE?? They creep close to the water when I get there!

Horace
06-08-2009, 08:45 AM
Pull the mould apart and rub another lead bullet aginst the areas as you would an eraser the mould doesn`t have to be warm. horace

Cloudpeak
06-08-2009, 08:52 AM
Good tip from Horace. I also use "Scotchbrite" scouring pads or just a cotton wash cloth while casting to wipe off smears if I get to going too fast. I also have a clean, brass bore brush on a handle that I use for cleaning any lead from the mold half surfaces while casting.

And, I get to be the first one to say it, if you use "Bullplate sprue plate lube" on the top of your mold and bottom of your sprue plate (and on your locater pins, set screws, pivot screws) life will be better:-D http://bullshop.gunloads.com/new%20bullshop__3_008.htm

A little bottle will last forever as you don't use very much. Do a search and you'll get a lot of info on this "best thing for casting, ever" item.

Le Loup Solitaire
06-08-2009, 01:42 PM
This works-hot or cold. Take an ingot and use one of the corners to rub-- with pressure- the smear. the corner of the ingot absorbs.....actually the smear sticks to it. Works on top of the blocks, the faces of the blocks and on the underside of the sprue cutter. When the corner of the ingot gets too dull, switch to another corner. LLS

finishman2000
06-08-2009, 03:30 PM
wow all great stuff guys....thanks.
i think I may be rushing the cut. I got my magma caster and it really is nice but i find myself trying to go faster than it can cool. I will be doing a mini review soon for those who haven't seen one work
thanks again, cas

BD
06-08-2009, 03:59 PM
Add another fan if you want to speed up the cooling.

BD

MtGun44
06-08-2009, 09:10 PM
Use BullShop's BullPlate Lube and you will not get any lead on there to worry about.

I would say that anyone not lubing their molds with this is missing out big time.

Bill

finishman2000
06-08-2009, 09:19 PM
Use BullShop's BullPlate Lube and you will not get any lead on there to worry about.

I would say that anyone not lubing their molds with this is missing out big time.

Bill
and where does one kind this lube?? thanks

Cloudpeak
06-08-2009, 09:21 PM
From post 9::-D
And, I get to be the first one to say it, if you use "Bullplate sprue plate lube" on the top of your mold and bottom of your sprue plate (and on your locater pins, set screws, pivot screws) life will be better http://bullshop.gunloads.com/new%20bullshop__3_008.htm

A little bottle will last forever as you don't use very much. Do a search and you'll get a lot of info on this "best thing for casting, ever" item.

whisler
06-09-2009, 08:22 PM
Scroll down to the bottom of the page. "the Bullshop"

SciFiJim
06-09-2009, 09:47 PM
I got my magma caster.......I will be doing a mini review soon for those who haven't seen one work

Please include pictures and if possible a video. I learn better by seeing something done than reading a description.

shotman
06-09-2009, 10:37 PM
well try Kroil see posts