PDA

View Full Version : Win. M1885 .45-90 Creedmoor BPCR sold out - no more to be made

texasmac
06-07-2009, 11:44 PM
Just thought I'd update anyone interested that Davidson's (the distributor) sold the remaining Win. M1885 Creedmoor .45-90 BPCR. These have the 34" Badger barrels. Both Davidson's and Winchester has indicated they have no plans to make more. There was a total of 251 rifles made in two batches. So these are going to get hard to fine as time passes, just like the original Browning Creedmoor's, which the Winchester was a copy of.

GunBroker and GunsAmerica have a couple listed so if you've been considering one I suggest you don't wait much longer.

Wayne

cajun shooter
06-08-2009, 08:21 AM
Saw them yesterday on Gun Broker. The drool was impossible to stop but the BA will not take any gun buys at this time.

Gussy
06-08-2009, 11:57 AM
Mine will be shot at the Quigley shoot in one week (starting practice then anyway) the shoot is at the end of next week. I'm almost done loadng 500 rounds. I hope I don't bring any home!!

RMulhern
06-12-2009, 01:29 PM
Just their way of getting more of your $$$$$$ in the long run!! They've been 'juicing' this old capitalistic method for a while now! When the producers of said item get this juiced enough...they'll make another run!

Buy you a Shiloh '74 Sharps, a piece of history and then you won't need an engineering degree or special tools to clean or make minor repairs! The accuracy is world record type!!

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b67/Sharps110/BPCR%20SHOOTING%20RELOADING/th_18ecae75.jpg (http://s17.photobucket.com/albums/b67/Sharps110/BPCR%20SHOOTING%20RELOADING/?action=view&current=18ecae75.jpg)

Here's 14 shots I fired day before yesterday from 800 yds. off the sticks using PP! First sighter hit at the top of the mainframe; the rest went pretty much where I intended for them to go!!

BPCR Bill
06-12-2009, 09:02 PM
Mine will be shot at the Quigley shoot in one week (starting practice then anyway) the shoot is at the end of next week. I'm almost done loadng 500 rounds. I hope I don't bring any home!!

Well Gussy, you can see my picture on my profile. Introduce yerself, I'll be there too. Not till Friday Morning, though.

Regards,
Bill

boommer
06-13-2009, 12:14 AM
fpmIII THUMP YOUR CHEST SO YOU FEEL SO MUCH BIGGER and don't understand other shooters are interested rifles THAT ARE NOT SHILOH and how do we really know you didn't fire that group at 50 feet ! DON'T put down other interest

45r
06-13-2009, 08:53 AM
Glad I got my 45-70 sporter from Davidson's.It shoots real well with the scope on it and doesn't kick too bad with the pac pad on it.Sure is easy to clean and don't have to take it apart to do it.I'm going to use it deer hunting this fall.Would like to get a real fancy one someday but this one is has got plenty good quality and plenty accurate.

cajun shooter
06-13-2009, 09:34 AM
FPM111, While there please put one down range for me. Like others on this forum the economy has put me down bad. The wife and I own a blueprint business for the design of new homes. The Sharps rifle and Quigley are a Dream that this 62 year old will never see. I'm very happy for those who are and have been going since it's start. If this Damn dream of mine had started 12 years ago I'd already been. Have a good time and enjoy that life's pleasures!!! Later David PS Talk about having a dream; read the SPG book from cover to cover again yesterday and when sleeping last night ; I was there.

RMulhern
06-13-2009, 11:03 AM
fpmIII THUMP YOUR CHEST SO YOU FEEL SO MUCH BIGGER and don't understand other shooters are interested rifles THAT ARE NOT SHILOH and how do we really know you didn't fire that group at 50 feet ! DON'T put down other interest

Dear boomer

You don't....other than the fact that I'm NOT A DAMN LIAR!! It just so happens that I grew up within a generation that got their azzes kicked if caught in a lie....unlike the present younger generation today!! As for 'other interest'....you can shoot a 105MM howitzer for all I care! I made a post that was along the lines of my experience with BOTH MAKES of rifles....so if you don't like it....you can stick it where the sun doesn't shine!!

montana_charlie
06-13-2009, 01:04 PM
and how do we really know you didn't fire that group at 50 feet !
"The liar's punishment is not in the least that he is not believed, but that he cannot believe anyone else.”
--George Bernard Shaw

Over the years, Mr. Mulhern has posted pictures of enough different groups fired at that target...and of visitors shooting at it with him...I would trust any claims he makes about it.

The fact that it comes so easily to your mind that he might be prevaricating makes me wonder if your group pictures and distance claims could be trusted.

CM

Kenny Wasserburger
06-13-2009, 05:38 PM
MC,

Funny you mention that, I was kinda thinking the same thing. Rick is a top notch Rifle shooter, a past Texas State high Power Champion, I have no doubt he shot that group at 800.

He has posted plenty of pictures over the past few years of fine groups. And not so fine groups also.

The Lunger
KW

RMulhern
06-13-2009, 06:47 PM
MC,

Funny you mention that, I was kinda thinking the same thing. Rick is a top notch Rifle shooter, a past Texas State high Power Champion, I have no doubt he shot that group at 800.

He has posted plenty of pictures over the past few years of fine groups. And not so fine groups also.

The Lunger
KW

KW

"And not so fine groups also"

You got that right Kenny! I pulled my hair out for 3 years before I 'turned the corner' with this 110!! Dang near sold the bull barrel rifle one day but something...a little voice way back in the back of the medulla region said...."Not yet"!! And the miracle that has occurred with the Sporter #1 Shiloh is that even with a lighter barrel.....it shoots right in there...if not better than the bull barrel 110 with either PP or greasers!! As for some of those 'not so good groups'....I've got this 'thing' about 'helping new shooters'....guess that was 'ingrained into my soul' early on while with the MTU. I was taught so much by the older heads with the Army Team when I was a young 20 year old that part of what they did teach, besides marksmanship was to GIVE FREELY of any info or experience that you've been taught to others and this was 'ingrained' even farther into all those of us that taught in the Small Arms Firing Schools at Camp Perry. My point? I post photos on occasion to give the novice or 'newbie' some idea of what might be possible with these BPCR if patience and persistence are applied! I've posted photos...some not so good on occasion....just to show that 'things' don't always come up roses in this game!!

FWIW!!:drinks::castmine:

guninhand
06-20-2009, 05:00 PM
What is the diameter of the black circle?

RMulhern
06-20-2009, 05:04 PM
What is the diameter of the black circle?

This is the current Creedmoor target that is used for competition. It's 44" overall diameter and the raised plate in the middle is the 10 ring which measures 20". Used in 800, 900, and 1000 yd. matches. Fired with Hoke rear tang sight and Distant Thunder aperture front sight.

guninhand
06-20-2009, 08:39 PM
This is the current Creedmoor target that is used for competition. It's 44" overall diameter and the raised plate in the middle is the 10 ring which measures 20". Used in 800, 900, and 1000 yd. matches. Fired with Hoke rear tang sight and Distant Thunder aperture front sight.

Thanks for the reply. When I shoot best, the front aperture hole is just a bit bigger than the black circle image, so that when the sights are lined up properly, the diffraction of the light comming in from the target evens out on the circumference so that it's like the diffraction cancels itself out, and everything is dead nuts on. Is that how you see it to get that group?

RMulhern
06-20-2009, 10:21 PM
guninhand

The mistake that most people make when shooting with aperture sights is that they think if they use a front aperture that closes down very tightly around the bullseye that it will be more accurate. NOT SO! If done...it's almost impossible for the eye/brain to pick up any sighting error. Personally I like a front aperture size that will give my vision a ring of white around the bull that occupies at least 2/3 more area than the bull occupies and in this manner the eye/brain find it very easy to see any error! To cut down on bright light being emitted from the face of the target on bright days I use dark glasses but NOT A POLYCARBONATE lens as it's very difficult to grind these lenses so as not to have a distorted view! Rather I use glass lenses which can be more perfectly ground! And also it is a big assist when using a rear tang sight to 'smoke' the aperture to do away with any glare. I then use a toothpick to stick into the rear aperture hole to do away with any soot or trash!:drinks::castmine:

docone31
06-20-2009, 10:50 PM
Those danged aperature sights!!!
Back when I first used them, they were the cat's meow! I mean, point, put the bead on the sight and clean the clock.
Then the clock ticked.
Now, when I look at the target through the sights, I am guaranteed to miss! My eyes got older and my mind had not recognised it. I got rid of the circle front sight, and went to the post stamping for the front globe. Meantime, the reciever sighted, front MilSurp sighted "clunkers" were out shooting the fancy schmancy Palmas I had built for my wife and myself. I went with the hunting rear aperature also.
So, with the hunting aperature, and front stock post, I get on paper. I like the toothpick trick. In all my aperatures, it seems like fuzz in the opening. I never thought of toothpicks!
My eyes are not at all like they used to be. I got new glasses for work, and everyday. My eyes do not see that well yet with them. I can see clearly, but, it is like everything is out of perspective. It'll take time yet.
I will remember the visible target ring though. Might come in handy some day.

RMulhern
06-20-2009, 11:22 PM
docone31

Don't know your age but betwixt 50 and 60 years of age...I went through about 5 different changes in lens for shooting! Each time I made a change....it was to keep the front sight as near in focus as possible WITHOUT TOTALLY making the bull disappear! It's a trade off here in that the bull does not have to be seen clearly when aiming; rather if one is using their vision correctly...the bull should not be in focus...only the front sight because at shot break the vision should be ON THE FRONT SIGHT! The main problem older shooters have is (transitional in nature) that they were not suffering from presbyopia when they were younger and their eyes had the ability to run from infinity to close-up instantly, but as the eye ages....this goes the way of the wild goose! The eye muscle no longer can contract as when young and therefore we're either far-sighted or near-sighted! Shooters....SERIOUS COMPETITIVE SHOOTERS must keep a constant check on their vision through the use of a good eye Doc!!:drinks::mrgreen:

cajun shooter
06-21-2009, 08:35 AM
FPM111, I for one being every bit a neophyte enjoy your post and I draw knowledge from them. Please continue. I'm 62 and as posted above have that dream of going to the Q People such as your self and Kenny are a valuable asset to the shooting sports. Through the kindness of Kenny I was able to talk with another fine gentleman by the name of Jim Terry. I hope that I also will be able to pass something down in time. Thanks for being here. Later David PS I don't know if the fuzz I'm seeing can be taken care of with a tooth pick; HA!! HA!! I think I'm due for that eye appointment.

Freightman
06-21-2009, 09:44 AM
I have a Shiloh, it is accurate more so than I am, I fell and (boy I hate to tell this) bent the front bumper of a car with my head (don't laugh) and shook something loose in my eye (right). The Optometrist and I haven't figured it out yet, so I am in the process of learning to shoot left handed as the vision in it is 20/20 and the vision in my right is basically leagley blind. The Shiloh is accurate, beautiful and well made, but until I get it down with my left eye will not be winning any shooting matches. By the way I had my 70th birthday the 6th of the month.
FPMIII is right Shiloh's are well made and accurate and there quality is the same from rifle to rifle.

cajun shooter
06-22-2009, 09:10 AM
Frieghtman, Why don't we put together a shooter spotter team. When I had my sniper training, we always have two man teams. One spotter and one shooter. When you are "on the gun" as we would say, you can only hold this for so long and then you trade off. Each man getting time "On THE GUN" You are only a Days drive away for me. Ther I go dreaming again!! Ha!! Ha!! Later David

Freightman
06-22-2009, 09:21 AM
Thanks for the offer, but I have been telling Dale over in the east part of the Panhandle I was going to come to see him for a year and haven't got there yet. I wish our range was larger as 200 yds is as long as we can shoot and the city has us surrounded on all four sides. When they built the range it was 12 miles from town now it is another three to the edge of town.
I have a place in N.M. I can shoot but might as well go to the Whittington Center in Raton as there. Wish I knew where the years went and hope the next few do not go as fast.

Idaho Sharpshooter
07-03-2009, 12:56 AM
Mulhern and Kenny,

you two varmints going east to the Sage Shoot August 22-23? I got blindsided again at the Quigley. Last year Carmen took all my $$$ and sent he home with a 77. This year Steve Rhoades put a like new 3 barrel set (22lr, 40-65, 45-70) on a CPA in front of my nose on Monday. I figure I'll be safe at Harlan's match, no money left in the sock.

Rich
Shiloh

RMulhern
07-03-2009, 01:13 AM
Mulhern and Kenny,

you two varmints going east to the Sage Shoot August 22-23? I got blindsided again at the Quigley. Last year Carmen took all my $$$ and sent he home with a 77. This year Steve Rhoades put a like new 3 barrel set (22lr, 40-65, 45-70) on a CPA in front of my nose on Monday. I figure I'll be safe at Harlan's match, no money left in the sock.

Rich
Shiloh

Rich

I'm making baseball games! Got three grandsons playing in All-Star Games, hopefully on the way to the All-Star World Series! On those dates I'll probably be down on the coast of Mississippi as that's their next series of games. To me...family events COME FIRST; shooting behind that so no...I won't be there! Leaving early next AM for playoff games in South Lousyanna!!

Don McDowell
07-03-2009, 11:54 AM

Actually Rick has a been posting alot of the groups he's been gettting with his C Sharps 5090 as of late.
I've had the priviledge of spotting for him at a long range match and will guaranteee you that group is for real, and at the yardage he said it is.

Kenny Wasserburger
07-03-2009, 04:39 PM
My plan is to make Harlin's Match for the Long Range event on Saturday and spend Sunday getting back to Gillette. Will take a day off (friday) to get there.

The Lunger

Don McDowell
07-03-2009, 11:27 PM
Rich looking forward to seeing you there.