PDA

View Full Version : Gold Bead front sight

Wayne Smith
06-07-2009, 01:45 PM
I have an old combination gun latest possible date of sale is April 1, 1892. The sights are probably adequate for 20 year eyes but mine aren't 20 any more!

I would like to put a gold bead on the front sight. I have no idea how this is done, but if, as I imagine, it involves cutting the original sight it won't happen. I will make a replacement to install the gold bead on.

The old one appears to be on a dovetail - I haven't tried to move it yet.

The question is, how does one mount a gold bead on a sight?

pietro
06-07-2009, 02:40 PM
It's quite common to fit a modern Gold Bead/male dovetail sight from any one of several current makers to the female dovetail on an older gun.

Some older dovetails are not today's standard 3/8", and so the new sight's male dovetail may require either working down or shimming up for a proper fit.

No cutting should be involved, either on the original sight, or the gun.

"Out" with the old, "in" with the new.

gnoahhh
06-11-2009, 07:53 PM
I have done a few gold beads like this. First of all, real gold can't be beat- it doesn't tarnish. If you are divorced, like I am, here is a good use for your old wedding band. I cut a small piece out of the ring, solder it on, and shape into the desired diameter using jewelers files. That's pretty much it in a nutshell. I've done beads as small as 1/16" and have also used it to reface a sourdough front sight. Piano key ivory is nice too, when epoxied onto the vertical face of a post front sight.

I must admit to chuckling with fiendish delight as I re-beaded a front sight the first time using that darned wedding band!

Dave Berryhill
06-11-2009, 11:25 PM
For 1911s I buy gold beads from SDM (Scott Mulkerin).
http://www.sdmfabricating.com/Gold%20Bead.htm
He makes them out of 14K gold wire and they have a small post on them. You drill a hole in the front sight that is slightly smaller than the post and press the bead into the sight. They come with directions and the proper dimensions for drilling the hole. Depending on the width of your sight, you might be able to use one.

Call Scott if you have any questions and tell him that I sent you.