PDA

View Full Version : Homemade "Barrel Solvent"

Jim
06-07-2009, 09:39 AM
"Barrel Solvent"

5 gallon bucket of sweet feed (Sweet feed has several different grains and molasses making it a great tasting "solvent".)

one package of yeast (using distillers yeast will increase quality and quantity)

5 pounds sugar

Water

Put enough feed to cover bottom of 5 gallon bucket, a good 4 inches deep.

Add 5 pounds of sugar. Fill 1/2 full with boiling water. Mix until sugar is dissolved. Mix the rest and finish filling with warm water.

Add the yeast after it has cooled to the recomended temperture on the yeast label. Cover with lid--our lid has a little cap that screws on, leave it loose to breathe.

4-5 days later it's ready to run! This is an old-timer recipe and works quite well. My "solvent" is always 150-180 proof.

SciFiJim
06-07-2009, 10:01 PM
Wouldn't adding water to a five gallon bucket full of feed cause it to swell and overflow the bucket?

Jim
06-08-2009, 05:46 AM
Well, if you have your doubts,try it, right? For more info, check out the link below.

NOTICE: This information is for ENTERTAINMENT PURPOSES ONLY!

http://www.whiskeywise.com/homemade-whiskey.html

DLCTEX
06-08-2009, 01:32 PM
Reread the instructions and see that you only put in feed to 4 inches in depth, then add water to half full mark, which leaves half a bucket of expansion room. Never heard of this one.
By "run" do you mean to distill it, or use as is?
OK, I think I misunderstood which "barrel" you use this "solvent" in.

454PB
06-08-2009, 01:39 PM
I've never made the hard stuff, but when I was making wine and beer, once the alcohol level reaches about 8%, it kills the yeast and stops fermentation.

SciFiJim
06-08-2009, 01:43 PM
5 gallon bucket of sweet feed
Add 5 pounds of sugar. Fill 1/2 full with boiling water. Mix until sugar is dissolved. Mix the rest and finish filling with warm water.

"Finish filling" sounds like full to me! I was asking for clarification. I would assume that one would leave room for expansion but I am not sure.

felix
06-08-2009, 01:53 PM
Different yeasts have different alcohol tolerances, as well as different after taste characteristics. In general, the lighter the alcohol tolerance, the cleaner the after taste. Lighter wines therefore are best made with low tolerance yeasts. During the last 20 years or so, UC Davis and OSU have isolated yeasts that can tolerate 20 percent ethyl alcohol without undue fermentation techniques. These yeasts can be used to make a fortified wine without the customary fortification method of adding pure alcohol at the end of a customary fermentation. The best Ports of the world are quite high in alcohol because of the acquired user tastes over the last couple of centuries. Low alcoholic wines do not travel well, in that they will not maintain a fresh taste because of the bumps and grinds. ... felix

Jim
06-09-2009, 03:53 AM
I'll say one thing(among many!) for Felix: He don't speak unless he knows what he speaks of.

Tn_River_Ratt
06-09-2009, 05:33 AM
"Barrel Solvent"

5 gallon bucket of sweet feed (Sweet feed has several different grains and molasses making it a great tasting "solvent".)

one package of yeast (using distillers yeast will increase quality and quantity)

5 pounds sugar

Water

Put enough feed to cover bottom of 5 gallon bucket, a good 4 inches deep.

Add the yeast after it has cooled to the recomended temperture on the yeast label. Cover with lid--our lid has a little cap that screws on, leave it loose to breathe.

4-5 days later it's ready to run! This is an old-timer recipe and works quite well. My "solvent" is always 150-180 proof.

You wouldn't by chance have a few extra gallons.....for testing purposes of course.

jonk
06-09-2009, 03:48 PM
Sounds pretty rough. Why would I want to make that when I can make something GOOD out of most anything at the fruit stand or grainery????? :D

150-180 proof? No way. You might hit 40 proof with a high test yeast, but not much more. 16 proof with average yeast.

Now you distill that, that's another matter.

jdgabbard
06-10-2009, 12:39 AM
I thought distilling was what he was talking about.

An oldtimer from my neck of the woods used to distill. Afterwards, he would dump the product into a white oak barrel, with about a quarter of the barrel taken up with ripe cherries. After sealing the barrel he would then stick it out in the barn for about 5 years. Well he had this ritual ever year. Pretty soon he had a barrel every year to crack open. After a while he started bottling.

Best part. The given name of said product: Cherry Bounce, otherwise known as "Rabbit Whip a Bear."

jhrosier
06-11-2009, 06:11 AM
http://images49.fotki.com/v1507/photos/5/590147/4595648/weBrednecks-vi.jpg

Got to keep them barrels clean...

Jack

Jim
06-12-2009, 07:53 PM
Sounds pretty rough. Why would I want to make that when I can make something GOOD out of most anything at the fruit stand or grainery????? :D
150-180 proof? No way. You might hit 40 proof with a high test yeast, but not much more. 16 proof with average yeast.

Now you distill that, that's another matter.

Well, that's what they mean when they say "ready to run it". And as far as "no way", I done did it. It'll burn blue on a cotton ball.

jonk
06-14-2009, 11:08 PM
Gotcha. As an on-again, off again home brewer and vintner, I've always wondered about distilling.

tommag
06-16-2009, 07:12 PM
A decade or two ago, I used to make my own beer and wine. I made a "pumpkin pie wine" that tasted horrible. Not being one to waste stuff, I rigged up a condenser to my large pressure canner. The first part of the run was hotter than hades, but mellowed out as the process went on.
I had no mentoring, and thought I knew what I was doing. I think it was on this board, but it may have been elsewhere, that someone who was familiar with this posted that you could come up with wood alcohol if you didn't know what you were doing.
I hope it was just age and coincidence, but both my wife and I had vision problems about the same time. I've only done this once, with about 15 gallons of wine, but I have always wondered if I messed up our eyes with this "brandy".

AlaskaMike
06-19-2009, 12:59 PM
Not so much danger of getting methanol (wood alcohol), but the old rule of thumb is to dump the first third of distillate which would contain the lightest compounds like methanol. You keep the middle third and save the final third to dump into the next run.

One of the problems with pressure cookers is that many are aluminum, and my experience with aluminum pots hasn't been good. Stainless and copper are much better metals for the pot.

Er... so I hear anyhow! :-)

Mike

Four Fingers of Death
06-27-2009, 06:25 AM
We don't call it 'solvent' down here in Australia, we call it 'neck oil!'

Molly
06-30-2009, 09:10 PM
Ummm, I wonder why nobody recommends adding a thumper keg to the equipment. Dad and I used to run some for home consumption from time to time, and a thumper keg is a big help at keeping the octane ratings up. It's just a keg (copper, wood, whatever) between the boiler and the coil. The first distilates will condense in the thumper keg, which slowly fills with a mixture of mostly water and some alcohol. Then as the temperature goes up, the alcohol distills out and condenses in the coil, while the higher boiling water stays in the thumper keg and drains back into the boiler. It's called the thumper keg because the steam coming from the boiler makes a thump when it hits the water and condenses. Think about the clanking and banging of an old fashioned steam heating system, and you'll understand.

FWIW, it's my understanding - and I'm pretty sure I'm right - there is no law against making virtually any type of alcoholic beverage you want, and in any quantity you have a mind to make. The Government revenuers don't give a flip. Nor does the Government. They only get interested if you sell the same without paying the taxes on it. That's why they are called revenue-ers: They bring in revenue to the government.

You can make it, drink it, share it, give it away, or feed it to the pigs for entertainment, and nobody will bother you. But if cash or goods with some cash value changes hands, you'd better be able to show you've paid the taxes on it.

Now that said, Pap really wasn't a drinking man. He just liked to tweak the government's nose any time he had a chance. He went at his squeezings from a scientific perspective: He'd triple distill, catching the distillate in glass labware, and stopping a run when he saw the first diffraction lines from significant water in the drop. Then he'd repeat it twice. Generally, the second repeat would boil dry without any difraction lines. He liked to take a spoonful and set a match to it. You could see the heat waves coming off the spoon, but you couldn't see any flames. But he did enjoy making highballs with it. One teaspoon of our stuff in a large glass made a pretty potent sipper. A mouthy guy once asked for a straight drink. Pap wasn't too fond of him, so he obliged: The guy gulped it down, and then he went down, clawing at the wall and trying to talk. It took him a few minutes, but he didn't ask for any more.

Use brass, copper or glass tubing and use straight tin solders for your still boiler. Pay attention to what you're doing, and KNOW what you're doing, and you can have a lot of fun while enjoying learning a few things.

Now a word of warning for anyone who really wants to play with this stuff: There's nothing difficult or wrong with it, but you'd better know what you're doing when you put your gear together. You can use most any tubing you have a notion to, but rubber hoses will taint the distillate, and lead based solder on the connections will result in making it a deadly poison.

Lead oxide from the lead based solder will dissolve in alcohol, and when you drink it, you will be dosing yourself with some highly toxic material. By the same token, don't drink 'commercial' moonshine either: The moonshiners run the steam from the boiler through an old automobile radiator to condense it. And guess what holds old radiators together: Lead solder. Some moonshine made with a fresh radiator has been known to kill a man with a single glass. No joke! It HAS happened! That's why you shoudn't drink anything not made by your own hands, or by a long-trusted friend. No kidding. I KNOW, and I could tell you some stories that would curl your hair. You can't even make the 'commercial stuff' safe by redistilling it. Yeah, that would leave the lead salts behind, but believe me, they toss a lot of BLEEP in the 'shine that you don't want to know about. Some of it, like Lye, would also be left behind, but the rubbing alcohol will distill right along with the good stuff - and it's darn toxic too!

Me? Nah. Not any more. I might have a social drink on occasion, but I got all the serious drinking I needed as a barefoot hillbilly kid in the hills of West Virginia. My feet were so tough I could walk barefoot through fresh cut wheat stubble at the end of summer, just about the time I got a fresh pair of brogans for winter. I once had a hangover that lasted for three full days. When I sobered up, I asked myself "Did I do this for FUN? Man, this is NOT fun!" And that was the end of my serious drinking. Now I enjoy my grandkids, brag about my patents, and annoy the kids by shooting better with a pistol than they do with a rifle. Ahh, retirement is good!

Regards,
Molly

acemedic13
07-01-2009, 06:38 AM
Sooooooooo....... "Run it" does mean to distill the mixture.....Correct??

Jim
07-01-2009, 04:19 PM
Right.

DLCTEX
07-01-2009, 06:26 PM
I cowboyed in SE oklahoma in the mid 60's and one of the local cash crops was moonshine. Moonshine cast me $5 gallon and we could get 40 people sick drunk. We got to making "salty dogs" with it. The boss kept a gallon in the refrigerator in the tack room at the barn as his wife never ventured there. We also kept a gallon jar of water there for a cold drink. We didn't bother with the formality of pouring it in a glass, but just drank from the jar. A teenager was helping me with some horses one hot day and followed me into the tack room for a drink. I grabbed the jar, unscrewed the lid and took a big drink, returned the lid and put it back in the fridge. He grabbed a jar, took off the lid, and took a big drink. His eyes got big and he gasped for breath before asking in a worried voice, "what is that that looks like water"? That big gulp made him drunker than a skunk and got me in hot water with his mother.

Jim
07-01-2009, 06:35 PM
That's funny, Dale!

leadeye
07-01-2009, 07:30 PM
I've thought about distilling wine that I make but understand that it is illegal to distill it whether you sell it or not. I just buy Everclear when I want to make port.

uncle joe
07-01-2009, 08:09 PM
I'm pretty sure Mr Brooks is right it's not against the law to make it for your own consumption, but do not sell it or trade it for gain or you will owe the gooberment taxes on what you sell.
I have an uncle that used to make some very good liquor. The rye was the best tasting as I remember. He worked at a chemical plant and had a friend in the lab that would test it for bad stuff and check the proof. He filtered his through charcoal he made and cut it to around 80 proof. He used a beer keg and two different sizer of copper tubing (one inside the other) for his heat exchanger. Cool water in the outside tube and fine drink in the small one.
I would be afraid to use sweet feed for the malt because of all the chemicals that are added to livestock feed these days. You could control the taste better and not worry about chems using straight grains.
:drinks:

Molly
07-02-2009, 02:38 AM
I've thought about distilling wine that I make but understand that it is illegal to distill it whether you sell it or not. I just buy Everclear when I want to make port.

No, distilling wine is perfectly legal, though some folks would consider it a terrible waste of wine. So long as nothing of value (cash, barter, swap, etc) changes hands, you can do as you wish. Give the local BATF office a call if you want to be sure. Call from a pay phone if you want to be ultra safe.

Molly

Jim
07-02-2009, 03:49 AM
.....I would be afraid to use sweet feed for the malt because of all the chemicals that are added to livestock feed these days. You could control the taste better and not worry about chems using straight grains.
:drinks:

There's a place just outside town that sells all that high dollar natural organic stuff. Their sweet feed has nothing in it that ain't natural. Yeah, it's a bit more expensive, but man, it's good! No, I ain't eatin' it.

waksupi
07-02-2009, 06:45 AM
As some one who was intimately involved with this process, I can tell you that you CAN NOT legally distill spirits in the US without proper licensing. To do otherwise, opens you to having your property confiscated, fines, and prison. Feds don't like you messing with thier tax base, selling or not.

DO call the BATF first!

Red River Rick
07-02-2009, 12:34 PM
If you serious about making "Fire Water", here's a couple of links with some good info and supplies:

http://www.brewhaus.com/
http://www.homedistiller.org/

RRR

AlaskaMike
07-02-2009, 01:48 PM
As some one who was intimately involved with this process, I can tell you that you CAN NOT legally distill spirits in the US without proper licensing. To do otherwise, opens you to having your property confiscated, fines, and prison. Feds don't like you messing with thier tax base, selling or not.

DO call the BATF first!

Waksupi is absolutely correct--you can BREW your own beer and wine (assuming you have no state or local laws prohibiting it), but you cannot legally DISTILL your own ethanol without a license.

Mike

shooterg
07-03-2009, 02:09 PM
Yet another place the government has it's nose in your business. If you farm, grow corn, get the permit and run the farm truck on it, guess you could "spill" a little down your throat when Big Brother wasn't watching !

acemedic13
07-03-2009, 09:09 PM
Thank you Jim.

Houndog
07-18-2009, 01:46 AM
Heck,
Youall don't know how to make proper "solvent"! Take a grass sack full of sweet corn and put it in a spring and let it sprout. Pour it in a suitable container ( a 55 gal WOODEN barrel) with 25 pounds of Sugar and a pound of Bread yeast. Finish filling the container with fresh spring water. Let it ferment and cook it off in a COPPER distilling vessel over a fire just hot enough for the solvent to come to a very gentle boil. Jug up the first two gallons to use as paint thinner or save it to mix "Yankee solvent" The next 5 gallons will be good solvent, and the last 3 won't be very good. Shake a jug of the good solvent and you should only see air bubbles floating to the top. If the solvent looks cloudy, or has soapy looking bubbles standing on it, use it to mix with Gasoline for your vehicle It should light easily and burn with a VERY light blue or completely clear flame. To make "yankee solvent" Mix the first two jugs of solvent with the last three. Guarinteed to take the hide and a certain headache! To make flavored solvent, put a pealed ripened peach in a quart mason jar and fill it with solvent. Let it stand for at least 15 days before using.

AlaskaMike
07-21-2009, 12:52 PM
That sounds like the voice of experience! ;-)

Blizzard of '93
08-23-2009, 08:29 AM
when the 'spirit' comes out the condenser the 'firstings' should be tossed as it will contain the more volatile wood alcohol (meaning it has a lower cook-off temp than the ethanol). with the correct cooking temp there will be a momentary pause after the 'firstings' are cooked off then the good stuff will come. this is where the real skill, the art of licquor makeing (as Popcorn Sutton of Maggie Valley, NC and Eastern Tenn fame) comes in. drinking the methyl can ruin kidneys and eyesight - if confronted with any 'commercial' 'shine always question the source. 'shine made from sileage always contains more 'greenery' in it and therefore more wood alky - avoid it like the pox.
also any 'shine made useing yeast should be filtered through fine crushed charcoal made from maple or fruit tree wood to remove the oily acid or the licquor will be 'skullpop' or headache booze.