PDA

View Full Version : M1 garand loads

sheepdog
06-06-2009, 11:30 PM
I know for sure theres threads on loads made that run the action of a M1 safely. However I'm not seeing it on search, if someone can link the old posts would be lovely. Thanks in advance.

Echo
06-07-2009, 02:54 AM
What I hear is that one should use medium-speed rifle powder when reloading for the M-1. I haven't reloaded cast for mine - I use 46 gr of 4895 and a 150-180 grain bullet, and press on. Can't comment on cast boolits...

06-07-2009, 09:37 AM
Yes, 4895 or 4064 are very good medium speed powders for the Garand. No need to hot rod them. I use only jbullets in mine.

It's not that the actions are weak. They are extremely strong! It's the op/gas system that can't take the combo of heavy bullet and very slow powder.

My favorite loads include 4895 with the 150, 165 and 168 grain bullets. Keep the velocities down around 2400-2500 fps with those powders and bullet weights and you should have no problems and should increase the longevity of the old war horse. I also use CCI #34 large rifle primers but have loaded a bunch in the past with the various other large rifle primers... without incident. The CCI 34s are designed for auto load rifles of this type. They have a thicker cup to help prevent slam fires in some rifles that have developed firing pin overtravel protrusion as the bolt slams forward into battery. Really destructive to the gun if the round fires before the bolt has closed fully. :(

BruceB
06-07-2009, 11:25 AM
First, your search can't be very effective. I found numerous loads on this forum with a search for "M1 Garand". I suggest you try again, and do additional searches for "M1", Garand", and similar terms. There are a lot of pages to go through, so keep looking.

Secondly, how long are people going to perpetuate the myths about Garands and other gas-operated rifles using cast bullets? Slow powders work extremely well with cast bullets in gas guns. EXTREMELY well. Restrictions (which are valid) concerning slow powders with jacketed bullets in such rifles DO NOT APPLY with cast-bullet loads, when such powders are used properly. Additionally, FAST powders which usually don't work well in M1A rifles do surprisingly well, with normal functioning of the rifle.

Cast bullets up to 220 grains also work fine in the M1/M1A rifles.

Do some research before repeating the "common wisdom" about powder types for the Garand or M1A, because the "common wisdom" is WRONG where cast bullets are concerned.

I heartily agree with using "hard" primers in these rifles. I try to use only the #34, but if they're not available, the CCI 200 has worked well for me in many different types of military semi-auto rifles.

Larry Gibson
06-07-2009, 12:44 PM
The two cast bullets to use for good quick results are 311299 or 311284. The two best powders are 4895 and 4831. Use a 3/4 gr dacron filler with the 4895. With both powders keep muzzle velocities in the 1800-1950 fps range for best accuracy and proper gas port pressures. Us a good GC and lube (Javelina or any NRA 50/50 lube) and size to a minimum of .311. If your barrel is worn the the 314299 sized at .312 or even .314 is a better option. M1 Garands shoot cast bullets very well if the proper bullet and loads are used.

Cast bullets lighter than 160 gr can be frustrating accuracy wise because the velocity will be above the RPM threshold before reliable functioning is found.

Larry Gibson

06-07-2009, 01:11 PM
Shooting cast bullets in these type rifles is a cat of a different stripe for sure. Many do it quite successfully. Shoot whatever you like but they really shine with jbullets and the "common wisdom" powders and bullet weights. The M1 (Garand) and M1A are two different critters.

But, don't take my word for it when it comes to load recommendations. Research the published material that has undergone the scrutiny of peer review.
Two books come to mind that are worth much more than their relatively small $ investment.

For general material and lots of insight on all manner of military firearms and history-
Hatcher's Notebook by Julian Hatcher

For Garand specific info-
The M1 Garand Owner's Guide by Scott Duff

Neither has reloading data as such but may help in selecting the loads and loading techniques required. Then search the published load manuals that have the ballistics data which is appropriate for the firearm.

oldhickory
06-07-2009, 02:01 PM
I just shot mine today with Lyman #311332, (180gr. spitzer) cast from w-w and water quenched from the oven with a g-c and Lyman Orange Magic lube applied. Remington commercial cases were used along with Federal Match primers, 41 gr. of IMR 4831 was the best powder weight for accuracy and function. 100% reliabal with 7 shots under 2 1/2", the first shots always seem to be out a little. The boolit was seated to the bottom of the top lube groove, I need to seet just a little deeper with this boolit as it just scrapes the noses on loading the clip.

I started at 40 gr, accuracy was so-so, and function was 7 for 8. For my M1, 41 gr. of 4831 is min. for reliability. Accuracy fell off at 42gr. but function was still good.

No wad or filler was used.

WineMan
06-07-2009, 07:53 PM
Its not the speed of the powder or the bullet weight but the volume of gas generated that is the problem.
Btuce B is right on.

After it was explained to me that the restrictions for the M1 Garand's Op-rod concern the volume of gas generated by the powder charge and the pressure generated at the op rod it made much more sense.

47-52 grains of any powder that will not have a chamber pressure too high (>3031 burning speed) is probably ok. With cast, the slow powders are used in amounts to keep velocities down to <2,000 fps so less than 52 grains.

To get jacketed velocities (>2600 fps) with slow powders uses more than 52 grains. The volume of gas is greater but the space between the back of the cartridge and the gas port is fixed, so more pressure and more stress on the op-rod.

Keep the chamber pressure under 50,000 (CUP?) and the powder charge under 52 grains and any suitable powder and bullet combo should not overstress the op rod or chamber. Not having tried it, a 220 grain jacketed bullet and 4831 charge around 50 grains would get 2,300 fps (Hogdon Data).

Wineman

sheepdog
06-08-2009, 02:21 PM
This is all great info. My biggest concern is that the load I finally go with is safety and reliably cycles my action without damage. Snapped opt rods have been known to injure or kill people so safety is a major concern.

Anyone tried using "The load" for the M1? Anyone has Ed Harris contact info for me to ask him on it?