PDA

View Full Version : I thought I found them all ........

Jack Stanley
06-06-2009, 09:49 PM
I was on a mission to load every .38 special case I had just so I wouldn't have to load them again for another fifteen years . As fate would have it while doing some cleanup work in the dungeon , I found another nine hundred or so empties . Well since I still have bullets left over from the last run and the Dillon is still set up , I may as well go ahead and load these too huh?

If this keeps up , I will have to pay the scalpers prices and get a few more primers for the other ammo needs I'll have to load for . I do love loading them in bulk though , nothing like having can after can full of cast beauties loaded and ready to go .

Jack :bigsmyl2:

beagle
06-06-2009, 10:08 PM
I always keep 1,000 rounds of .38 Special loaded. That's my basic load. When I moved, I found 3,000 .38 cases under my stairwell that I didn't know I had and 4 bricks of .22 LR HP. Never know when you'll need .38 cases./beagle

JDFuchs
06-07-2009, 12:56 AM
Ya with 32H&R and 38spl becoming my most used rounds i'm running out of small pistol primers quick. A month ago i bit the bullet and bought as many as a local store would sell me 400, at $3.50 each 100. Ive been trying to stay away form the range to conserve what I have, but im going to be out by the end of the month at this rate. Im just thankfull that I hear more and more of back orders being filled, and prices on gun broker dropping. I think I may be able to hold out.

jdgabbard
06-09-2009, 02:21 AM
Glad to hear I'm not the only one that cant stand not being able to load in bulk on a regular basis. The difference is, I've never upgraded from a single stage press. So I get to extend the pleasure of doing it!

curiousgeorge
06-09-2009, 02:31 PM
I love to shoot .38 wadcutters and keep an old Star Universal set up just for that and 2.7 grs of Bullseye. I load in 1200 round lots (12 boxes fit in a 50 cal ammo can) and try to keep at least 3 cans loaded up. And yes, I have been hoarding small pistol primers for years and years.

Keeping the Star set up keeps the Dillons free. And no, I am NOT wealthy, just been scrounging "stuff" for over 30 years.

August
06-09-2009, 07:55 PM
I, too, am just finishing up a run of 2000+. I switched the press over and was determined to get-er-done before changing it back again. Almost there. That should be it for a year. It is so nice not having to stay up late the week before a match to get ammo made!

jdgabbard
06-09-2009, 09:01 PM
I, too, am just finishing up a run of 2000+. I switched the press over and was determined to get-er-done before changing it back again. Almost there. That should be it for a year. It is so nice not having to stay up late the week before a match to get ammo made!

Thats why you load it up well before the match is due... I load mine for anything I'm going to be shooting in, from matches to shotgun weddings, months ahead of time. That way I know I don't have to sacrifice any little details to make sure my loads are supreme.

Jack Stanley
06-10-2009, 04:52 PM
The last bulk load I did before this one was just over twelve thousand forty-five ACP rounds . I ended up with a couple thousand two-thirty grain FMJs , a couple thousand commercial cast two thirtys and over eight thousand I cast in a H&G number 292 . I oughta be set for them for several years to come .

When loading thirty-eights into ammo cans . I used to dump fifteen hundred flush seated wadcutters into a fifty caliber can ( not boxed ammo ) . A thousand of the same ammo will fit into a thirty caliber can . I can fit seven hundred ( if I remember right ) of the LBT one eighty-five grain into a thirty caliber can . The new guy on the block is my Lyman hundred sixty grain "cowboy" the can fit eight hundred of them into a thirty caliber can .

I'm starting to fool around with bulk aught six ammo into thirty caliber cans , but that's another story .

I haven't loaded forty-four mag ammo in so long I forgot how many fits into a can . I'll find out soon enough because that's the next caliber on the list to load .

Jack