PDA

View Full Version : Lyman or Willilams peep sight?

higgins
06-06-2009, 06:53 PM
Between the currently manufactured Lyman 66LA and the Williams FP94/36, which sight is better in terms of overall quality, function, and finish? I know they're both aluminum, and I would certainly prefer an older steel sight for my '51 vintage 336, but if I go with a current production sight, which is the better sight? Advantages or disadvantages of either? Thanks.

docone31
06-06-2009, 07:02 PM
I have had both, and both are good.
I might consider by price.

MtGun44
06-06-2009, 07:28 PM
Lyman is more of a target sight, Williams more of a hunting sight. The gib lock on the
Williams is very secure, elevation will not be easily changed by accident or by some
kid twiddling the knob if you have kids that may fiddle. Lyman will be more easily
adjusted up and down for elevation changes with different ammo or for target shooting
at different ranges. Williams is more like 'set it, lock the gib and forget it'. Also the
Lyman is easily removable with the pushbutton (leaving the base) , and reset again
to correct elevation. I have the Lyman on a Marlin GG with a scope, carry the sight
top piece in a pocket as a backup if the scope goes down.

Bill

Throwback
06-06-2009, 07:28 PM
The Lyman is steel I believe and may "look" better on an older gun. The Williams is anodized aluminum. I have a Williams on my model 94 .30-30 and I have older Lyman's on other rifles. I prefer the Lyman but both work well. Just don't buy the Williams 5D - spend the extra money for the click adjustment.

Pepe Ray
06-06-2009, 07:49 PM
P.O.I.
Lyman hasn't made a steel receiver sight in at least 5 yrs.
They still use the better design (quick removal lock) but it appears to be of the same aluminum material as Williams.
Used sight dealers and gun shows may turn up a steel model,
Good luck.
Pepe Ray

jhrosier
06-06-2009, 07:58 PM
I bought a current production Lyman recently. Next time it will be a Williams.
I don't care for the fit, finish, or overall appearance of the current Lymans at all.
FWIW, I have the older Redfield #102 sights on a couple of guns and they are, in my opinion, better than the Williams 5D , but hard to find.

Jack

pietro
06-06-2009, 09:38 PM
I like a top mount receiver peep best, even though it means installing a higher front sight blade.
I usually want to change the front sight material, anyway - so why not the height, at the same time ?

On Winchesters, I use either a Williams 94AE peep attached to the top of the receiver side walls, or the same model XS peep - but on a Marlin there's no better receiver peep than either the all-brass or the all-steel Skinner, IMHO.

rmb721
06-06-2009, 10:14 PM
I much prefer a Redfield #70 steel sight over a Lyman or Williams whether steel or aluminum. Target knobs can be installed if prefered. Every lever I own that has a receiver sight has a Redfield on it.

primersp
06-07-2009, 02:47 AM
same pietro on a marlin put a SKINNER

Lloyd Smale
06-07-2009, 06:52 AM
I wish the lyman was still a steal sight but still prefer them slightly more to a willaims.

cajun shooter
06-07-2009, 07:59 AM
I know you said peep sight but before you buy either you might want to look at a Marbel's tang sight for that rifle. They are all steel, adjustable for windage and elevation and come with three disc. The largest being for woods or short range old eyes hunting and the finest for target. It will also fold down for use of other sights. I have them on all my lever guns. Later David