PDA

View Full Version : Leadheads

odis
06-06-2009, 12:47 PM
After restarting reloading and shooting I was wondering if any of you gentlemen have any experience with leadhead bullets. I am most interested in their 270 gr. semiwadcutter in .45 colt? I don't fell like I'm ready to gear up for casting yet but would sure like to reload and shoot while I think about it. The plain base bullets they market seem to be very fairly priced. odis

Don McDowell
06-06-2009, 02:37 PM
I haven't bought any bullets from them for a few years now, but the ones that I did buy were first rate.

MtGun44
06-06-2009, 07:14 PM
Check the diameter of your cylinder throats (front end of cyl) and select boolits that
are .001-.002" larger than cyl throats and you will be happy. Most commercial boolits
are very hard, so if they are undersized you will not get bump up and you will get
leading. Leading is mostly caused by poor boolit fit at pistol velocities, and the
"hard cast so it won't lead" is irrelavant if they are undersized.

.45 Colt revolvers have WIDELY varying cylinder mouths, so it is really worth checking
by driving a soft slug thru (supprt the cyl to avoid shock loads on the crane if it is
swing open type) the cyl or using machinist plug gages to measure.

Bill

odis
06-06-2009, 07:50 PM
The pistol is a Blackhawk that I bought during the Ford administration. A .452 sized cast goes through with no effort. As long as I have owned this gun it has rarely been shot with the colt cylinder because of the grips. I picked up a set of Houge monos and now it will never see an acp again. odis

odis
06-06-2009, 08:23 PM
The pistol is a Blackhawk that I bought during the Ford administration. A .452 sized cast goes through with no effort. As long as I have owned this gun it has rarely been shot with the colt cylinder because of the grips. I picked up a set of Houge monos and now it will never see an acp again. odis I spelled Hogue wrong. Thats terrible since after a box of very warm ones my hand felt so good. odis

kooz
06-06-2009, 08:24 PM
His bullets are very hard. I tried them several years ago, and my guns leaded like crazy. They were of fair quality, just to hard.

bradh
06-07-2009, 09:44 AM
Odis, check out www.missouribullet.com for some great pricing...their bullets work for me.

fourarmed
06-10-2009, 01:01 PM
Quality is good, and he will work with you on sizing. I don't have any molds who's bullets will shoot as well in my DW .41 as his 275 gr. gas check bullet.

cbrick
06-10-2009, 01:59 PM
Lead Heads is excellent quality and is popular with the long range handgun silhouette crowd. I worked up a long range accuracy load in 41 mag with Lead Heads a couple of years ago and the results were impressive. They tested 18 BHN (not as hard as some commercial cast) for me so full power loads are recommended. And yes, tell them what diameter you need and they will work with you. Too hard is usually worse than too soft but incorrectly sized is a killer every time.

Rick