PDA

View Full Version : Pulling boolits w/ Pyrodex loads

remy3424
06-05-2009, 11:44 PM
I bought a Vaqureo 45 and it came with 200 rounds of cast boolits over a load of Pyrodex powder. Kinda fun to shoot; fire, smoke and not a big push, but after about 40 rounds it's like you dipped that poor revolver in tar, what a mess to clean. I really don't want to shoot the last 100, I pulled a few w/ a plier in the press, but am wondering if the connectic (hammer style) puller is safe with pyrodex?? Hammer away or not??? Looking for a little insite prior to pounding, I'm away a little tenative with that puller anyway.

DLCTEX
06-06-2009, 05:47 AM
Use a press with the die removed, run the ram up to the top, grasp the boolit with pliers or nippers and lower ram. There is no danger of setting off the Pyrodex using an inertia puller.

44man
06-06-2009, 08:12 AM
It sounds like someone lubed the boolits with smokeless lube.

Dale53
06-06-2009, 10:23 AM
I have long used Emmert's Home mix lube in my black powder guns (50% Pure Natural Beeswax, 40% Crisco, and 10% Canola Oil melted volume) with excellent results. I have since dropped the Canola Oil and replaced it with Anhydrous Lanolin (10%). My Bisley Vaquero will fire 75 rounds before needing cleaning to continue. It's an easy clean up, too. Two or three wet patches with a good black powder solvent through the barrel and cylinder.

I fine it VERY helpful to coat the cylinder pin with STP or Mobil 1 synthetic red grease (available at your auto parts store in a grease gun tube) before shooting.

I would not want to use a hammer puller with Pyrodex - it may be all right but I would rather use the method with a loading press and pliers to remove the bullets.

FWIW
Dale53

montana_charlie
06-06-2009, 10:58 AM
I use an inertia (hammer) puller when I want to disassemble black powder loads.
CM

lathesmith
06-06-2009, 07:58 PM
Since the gun is already filthy, why not just burn 'em up in it? I shoot Pyrodex in my SS Vaquero, I can shoot it all day(few hundred rounds) without cleaning it, although I do wipe the cylinder every couple of cylinderfuls. I just use SPG lube with this, maybe yours don't have the right lube(which really WOULD be a disgusting mess). I just use patches and hot soapy water and some WD-40, followed by compressed air and light oil, and it the gun is sparkling clean.
lathesmith

Frank
06-07-2009, 12:07 PM
I would NEVER use a hammer puller on any round, unless it was a bullet made of gold and I had to save it. :redneck: Step up to the modern method - the collet bullet puller. :confused: Easier, faster and SAFER to use. :shock:. I don't want bullets, powder and brass flying all over in my garage. [smilie=l:

remy3424
06-07-2009, 01:35 PM
Well, I pounded out 50 of them this morning, they came a lot easier than some 44 jacketed I was given. I clean the gun completely once it becomes a sticky mess after about 40 of these, pulling them will let me save a few primers, recycle the bullets and not have a "tar" dipped wheel gun again. The collet puller just won't grab these lead bullets and th pliers method was a pain to try to grip them hard enough to get them out. One or 2 quick hits and that's it. Thanks to all for the info.

MtGun44
06-07-2009, 01:54 PM
Why would "bullets, powder and brass flying across my garage" happen with an
inertial puller? In mine, all is contained neatly inside and I dump the bullet and powder
into a butter tub, put the primed case in another and refill the puller. Nothing flying
around.

Also, what is the deal on safety? I have (sad to admit!) had to disassemble
a fair number of rounds over the last 40+ yrs, never had an safety issues.

I have used the collet pullers and they are excellent for large quantities, esp with softpt
rifle bullets which tend to get the tips mashed in an inertial puller.

Bill