PDA

View Full Version : New .41 Mag

Intuldt
03-10-2006, 09:28 AM
Guys,

I just became the owner of a Marlin 1894FG in .41 magnum. Totally reflex purchase... I don't have any molds or other equipment for casting and loading for the .41. I would like some help. Any recommendations on molds or commercial cast bullets, sizing diameters, loads and anything else I should know when setting up for the .41 would be greatly appreciated.

LT

44man
03-10-2006, 10:12 AM
Don't give us that REFLEX stuff! You loved the gun and can't wait to shoot it. I have the .44 and it is extremely accurate. I can't help much with the .41 but my friend gets good results from the Lee 410-195-SWC. I would not size it but would use a die that is the same diameter as the boolit as it comes from the mould. Use a soft lube. A lot of guys here can help with loads. The .41 is a great caliber.

Hackleback
03-10-2006, 10:18 AM
It appears that atleast some of the FG's can be a bit quirky to get then to shoot. I sent mine back twice before it would shoot groups instead of patterns. On the up side, Marlin was quite good about the returns and even paid shipping both ways! In a time of poor service, this says something. It appears that the bores run a bit in the large side (I have never slugged mine so I dont know for shure) and I have been told that they run about .411. As for boolit weight, some like light ones (170-180 Gr Jacketed) thou I have not had very good luck. Feeding with Keith style casts can be hitchy with out modifications. I have shot two smaller deer with mine. Used a speer 210 gr gold dot on top of 20 gr of 296. Hit then like the hammer of Thor!! Pass through shots both times. I have the group buy 265 gr GC. I like the boolit and it feeds nicely. Will be using this slug ALOT in the future.

If you have any more questions about my experiences with the FG, feel free to PM me.

Bodydoc447
03-10-2006, 10:22 AM
For a light plinking load the older Lyman 41028 is a kind of RNFP that is similar to the 40143 for the 38-40. It cycles well through the levergun and is a nice once for general woods bumming. I have not yet tried the group buy .41 in my levergun but it is on the short list of things to do.

Doc

LAH
03-10-2006, 10:57 AM
A plain base for use in tube magazine rifles? Saeco 410. Looks like it will feed and should be a tack driver at longer ranges........Creeker

Uncle Grinch
03-10-2006, 12:18 PM
Doc is correct on the Marlins being finicky about feeding. Mine will not feed any SWC Keith type bullet that I have found. Since I shot cast, I paid a premium ($68) for an old Lyman 41028 plain base mould, but it functions and shoots very well.

Some time ago I purchased a Lee 240 grain SWC that I use in my Blackhawk. It also is a plain base and groups well, but will not feed in my Marlin. I use mostly Green Dot or Unique powders and Winchester Large Pistol Primers and keep my loads around 900-1100 fps.

Experiment and find a bullet that will feed and you will really enjoy that .41 Mag.

To me, it's the best of both worlds (.357 & .44 Mag).

Here is a view of a loaded 240 gn Lee and some cast and lubed Lyman 41028's.

Leftoverdj
03-10-2006, 03:29 PM
IME, Marlins are very limited in the velocity that will give good results with plain base bullets. They may drive tacks down around 1100 fps, but I have never seen one shoot worth a whoop with a plain base bullet and hunting loads.

fourarmed
03-10-2006, 05:07 PM
Friend of mine recently bought one. I was surprised to find that it fed and shot the Lyman 410459 Keith quite well. We did have one problem with it that may be generic. With one brand of cases - don't remember now which one - a round in the magazine would often slip past the cartridge stop and tie up the gun until you got in there with a screwdriver or something and pushed it back into the magazine. Very annoying. The brand of case that was the culprit had rims that were quite rounded on the rear edge. The other brands of cases we tried didn't seem to do it. Don't know if the cartridge stop is adjustable or not.

crazy mark
03-10-2006, 11:45 PM
My 1894FG likes just about any cast boolit that is sized .411-.412. Luckily almost all of the 41 moulds I have drop at .412 with a couple that drop .411. I haven't had any of the famous Marlin jams people talk about and the only complaint about it is the amount of rounds cycled thru it to break it in so it fed a little smoother. It will feed any boolit shaped if seated to the length it likes. Mark

Intuldt
03-13-2006, 01:59 PM
Thanks for the input. I'll post my results when I get this project going.