PDA

View Full Version : Barsto barrel and cast boolits?????

shooter 500
06-05-2009, 02:32 PM
Is anyone useing Barsto 9mm barrel and a cast boolit. I am try to use the Lee TC 125 gr. The throat seems really tight. I can sometimes find a little circle of lead that has been scraped from the bullet., after I shoot. The barrel mikes at .3567 and I size my boolits to .3575. I can load a .359 boolit in a case and it will chamber. But, I always get leading after a few shots. I also cannot seat any boolit out to where it should be. If any of the straight shank of the boolit extends beyond the case mouth, it hits the throat and will not chamber. Does anyone shoot Barsto and cast boolits. Thanks Shooter

exile
06-05-2009, 03:09 PM
Just for reference sake, I have a Jarvis barrel and a Storm Lake barrel and I do not see those problems in the nine-millimeter. Have never used a Barsto though.

exile

45 2.1
06-05-2009, 03:16 PM
I've had a Barsto 9mm barrel since about '81 and shoot many combat matches with it. I sized 0.357" with mine as it too had a short tight throat. A very accurate barrel.

shooter 500
06-05-2009, 03:31 PM
To: 45 2.1
Do you have the problem of not being able to seat you bullet out? I have to keep the shank of the bullet inside the case. Real short throat hits the shank just barely out of the case. Will not chamber if it is seated like I can for my Sig or Taurus. My leade is very abrupt, I think. It will peal off a ring of lead and sometimes drop it on the bench or just lead the barrel.
Thanks for responding.

Lonestar22
06-05-2009, 03:47 PM
I find this thread of great interest, as I am awaiting the arrival of a Barsto barrel for my 9mm.
What style CB are you both shooting? I would not think a round nose CB would be a problem, but a semi-wadcutter type might be with its sharp shoulder, if the chamber is short.

HeavyMetal
06-05-2009, 04:50 PM
I have several Bar-Sto barrels in the gun safe.

Currently my Taurus PT 99 wears a 6 inch tube. Yes chamber is tight and I was not required to seat the boolits out to engage the rifling to get this barrel to shoot.

I am using the Lee 125 gr RNL in this barrel, Haven't used the TC mold.

Why do you need to seat the boolits out? If it's a feeding issue, I don't like the TC's for this reason, you can switch to a RNL design.

Windy City Kid
06-05-2009, 06:34 PM
shooter 500,

What pistol is your Bar-Sto barrel for?

Was it a semi drop-in fully chambered barrel or a match barrel that needed to be fitted?

If it was a fitted match barrel, the chamber needs to be reamed for head space, they aren't fully chambered. Even if it was fully chambered you may have a short throat, you can lengthen the throat with a reamer.

I have seen many after-market pistol barrels with too short of throats for cast bullets.

Most need to be reamed, it don't take much.

fredj338
06-05-2009, 08:34 PM
I run a Barsto bbl. in my BHP, very accurate & about all it gets is 124grLTC from a Saeco mold.

shooter 500
06-06-2009, 10:34 AM
Thanks for all the replys. Lonestar... I am using the Lee 124TC boolit, but any of my cast bullets will do the same thing. Peal off a circle of lead and lead the bore. I have some Commerical cast 115gr RN that I will try. But I don't expect any difference and I don't want to be limited in my choice of styles. Case capacity if affected by seating the bullets too deep. I have to back off on my powder charge. WCKID I have thought about a reamer. I plan to call around to several gunsmiths and see who has a reamer. I think this is the best solution. I ordered this barrel from Midway. Nothing said about a match barrel. Taurus gun. Thanks again.

Cherokee
06-06-2009, 10:51 AM
Chamber needs to be throated for CB's.

shooter 500
06-09-2009, 05:11 PM
To all. I have talked to Irv Stone and will send him the barrel. He will lenghten the leade. Will let everyone know how it shoots when I get it back. Thanks for all the comments, they were helpful. Shooter