PDA

View Full Version : Lyman Deerstalker boolits & loads??

10 ga
06-05-2009, 12:33 PM
Just got a used Lyman Deerstalker, good barrel, at a fabulous price. 0$. Anyone advise on cast boolits to use? 250 or 300 REALs, Maxi balls, minis? Got plenty of .490 round balls and sabot stuff but with 1/48 twist I'm thinking cast boolits will be better. It's a short, 24" bbl gun. Much lighter and handier than my 32" roundball guns and the scoped inlines I've got. I'm looking on using it when rattling and calling and shots would be 20-60 yds. and it has a nice Lyman peep on it. Anybody have insight on which boolits/loadings this model handles best? Thanks, 10 ga.

mooman76
06-05-2009, 01:45 PM
I have a couple CVA's in 1-48. It is a good twist for both RB and conicals for the 50 cal and should shoot both equally well. I shoot 320gr. REALs out of mine. Lee makes a mould that has a combination 1RB and 1 REAL in the same mould. Try shooting about 50 gr. for regular shooting and push it up higher in 5 gr. incremants for your hunting loads until you either hit max or accuracy starts to drop off. If you want your money back on the gun let me know. I will even pay shipping.

badgeredd
06-05-2009, 03:16 PM
Just got a used Lyman Deerstalker, good barrel, at a fabulous price. 0$. Anyone advise on cast boolits to use? 250 or 300 REALs, Maxi balls, minis? Got plenty of .490 round balls and sabot stuff but with 1/48 twist I'm thinking cast boolits will be better. It's a short, 24" bbl gun. Much lighter and handier than my 32" roundball guns and the scoped inlines I've got. I'm looking on using it when rattling and calling and shots would be 20-60 yds. and it has a nice Lyman peep on it. Anybody have insight on which boolits/loadings this model handles best? Thanks, 10 ga.

I've had great luck with the 250 grain REAL bullets. I shoot them in 2 different guns and they are very accurate. I started trying them because I don't care for the sabots and I had to believe a bore fitting REAL would do the trick. They do but I am not having very good luck with the 300s. I suspect the 1'48 twist may be a scoshe slow...but I don't know.

Edd