PDA

View Full Version : Manleyjt; M95 COO

Larry Gibson
06-05-2009, 11:28 AM
I finally was able to pull the M95 out and take some measurements. See the attached copy of my scribblings. Compare them to your M95 conversion and let me know where the differences are then we can figure out what to do.

Larry Gibson

scrapcan
06-05-2009, 11:36 AM
For the others who may read this here is a bit of background

I asked Larry for help on a cock-on-open conversion that was done for a friend by a gunsmith (acutally has been worked on by two). Larry offered to look at the conversion if we sent the rifle to him, that is graciousness to the extreme. It may come to that, but first we will do some long distance trouble shooting.

Initially the m95 had the dayton traister conversion done and had issues with trigger adjusment.

The trigger had such a light pull that it was felt to be too dangerous by the owner for it's intended use (truck gun in 257 roberts for varmints, predators, and maybe antelope or deer). It was worked on several times and then taken to a second gunsmith. The second gunsmith got the pull weight fixed, but now there is an issue with bolt not allowing firing pin to hit primer when fully assembled.

It has good protrusion with no spring installed, but will not protrude with spring installed.

I asked Larry if he would be willing to take some measurements for comparison. The above post is the response to that request.

I will try to get the problem bolt for measurements and post here also.

leftiye
06-05-2009, 03:13 PM
Manley, Is the compressed spring stopping the firing pin's travel? (too many coils in spring?) you might solve the problem by cutting out coils, or with a new spring. Can you push the firing pin from the rear and get protrusion? Longer firing pin might work too.

scrapcan
06-07-2009, 07:18 PM
When I had it in hand it would not protrude with spring installed. I will get a chance to look at it once again this coming week. Expect more to come. Thanks for the help.

deltaenterprizes
06-08-2009, 12:07 AM
I did one of those and just set the shoulder back a little to allow the pin to travel foreward a little more and reliever the radius some at the nose of the pin also. The OD of the new spring is larger than the original so the ID of the bolt needs to be enlarged also.

scrapcan
06-25-2009, 11:37 AM
ok guys had a chance to look it over more, sorry it has been awhile. This was a a AHA moment when I got to look it over real good.

The issue was an assembly issue. When screwing the shroud into the body, we had been screwing it in with the firing pin engaged by the safety. The tip of the replacement safety in the new shroud has a flat that will not let the shroud screw in all the way unless the safety is released. hard to describe but easily seen.

Firing pin protrusion is now good.

Now onto the next issue. It will sometimes fire when bolt closes. this sounds like a sear/cocking piece issue. It will also fire when safety taken off, again the same sear/cocking piece issue I think.

I am having a real hard time believing this rifle went thru the shops of two gunsmiths and has all of these issues. The rifle owner is very disgruntled to say the least. With all of your help it is starting to come to some resolution.

Larry,

You have another pm inbound.

Jeremy