PDA

View Full Version : Jap Arisaka

sundog
04-12-2005, 04:30 PM
Joe, so we don't hijack the FWFL thread.... My Type 99 has the mum ground off, folks I got it from at a garage sale said his Dad brought it back from Okinawa. Other than about a sixty-three and a half pound trigger pull, it's pretty good. Still has the aircraft sight. I have a batch of Norma cases I bought brand new years ago from Black Hills when they were on sale, but still pricey. Also have some 06 range brass that I reformed, and for the pressure we shoot cast boolits, I can't tell the difference. I shot it several times in the military bolt matches and the best it does is like 270/300. Shoots big groups and sight settings are rather course. Have only tried one boolit in it, the Ly 314299, and never slugged it. Other than that I don't fool with it much, but it's kinda neat to have. I think Beagle had the best idea to use 8x57 brass and it comes out a hair short, but who cares, you don't have all that trimming to do like 06 brass. I looked up all the markings and serial number and whatever I discovered is stored with it in the safe - typical run of the mill issue piece. Haven't shot it for awhile, so it might be time to put another protective layer of FWFL down the bore - Finn's Metric flavor (made with metric measures), maybe try out that FAT 30 mould, too. sundog

StarMetal
04-12-2005, 05:33 PM
Sundog

One thing I like about some military rifles are the chromed bores and the 7.7 Jap is one of them. No matter how much I shoot it, it wipes right out. Gotta love that. My best friend tried to get me on to Japs a very long time ago. In fact we were at the range one day and he brought along his Jap, full military, that he had loaded up some jacketed for. He said shoot it. I shot a five shot group at 100 yards that was an inch. He said "Now what you have to say about Jap?" I was impressed, but didn't buy one to many years later. One thing I like about the Jap rifles is they are very light in comparison to a 98 Mauser. I've even built a custom 260 Rem off a 6.5 Arisaki....darn good shooting rifle. My triggers aren't as bad as you make you're out to be. I did clean them real good and polished them with my dremel and some rouge. Made a nice difference. The 6.5 Arisaka action is a whole hell of alot smoother then 7.7 type 99's, but of course they were finished alot better too. My friend picked up a 7.7 that was rebarreled and new bolt and all...dang thing was unfired, lucky dog, be good shooter. In fact in resizing brass for it they would barely fit the chamber as it's chambered very tight. The sight are crude as you mentioned and they have the 03 Springfield problem of the rear sight being ahead of the receiver which isn't great for a peep sight.

I think mine mikes out at .311 or .312, can't remember. I've used the 8x57 sized down too.

Joe

45 2.1
04-12-2005, 06:00 PM
Sounds like you two have good jap rifles. Not all of them are that good of shooters, but almost all of them shoot pretty well. I use the formed '06 cases. I used to form them for Godfrey Reloading when Ethan ran it. If you don't like the accuracy, try to use a bullet that has a fatter nose. Some of the Japs slug out .317" on the grooves and about .305" to .306" on the lands. If you find one that fits the throat your in business.

StarMetal
04-12-2005, 07:47 PM
Well I can tell you it doesn't come easy to get it shoot that well. Alot of reloading various powders and bullet diameters, and settings. I think the hardest part is being able to get a good sight picture too.

Joe

TCLouis
04-12-2005, 09:46 PM
I have a sporterized Type 38 and a couple of 99s plus several "as is" carbines and rifles. The Type 38s ALL have the eccentric chambers that eat brass and I have learned to HATE!
The sporterized 38 is 6.5X257 and is a 1-1.5" shooter.

The type 99 really likes 22.5 grains of BD and Hornady 130 SSP. Yes it is tight enough to shoot 0.308 bullets though I plan to use 0.311 Boolits in the future. One of my plans for the 311440 soon to be ordered!

I will be converted to full time Cast Boolit Shooter as soon as I get this next batch of brass trimmed!

45 2.1
04-12-2005, 09:55 PM
Joe-
I've had very good luck with the 314299 using AA 3100 and poly filler. I have a recent Type 99 that likes the Fat 30 really well also. The Jap throats vary alot. One needs to use a bullet that fits the individual rifle. The sights aren't that bad either, lots of fun at long range due to that nice ladder.

TCLouis
04-18-2005, 08:49 PM
45 2.1

Is that Godfrey out of I think Indiana?

They used to make Nashville show. Reloading supplies have dwindled to weere I seldom make a show!

45 2.1
04-18-2005, 09:22 PM
45 2.1

Is that Godfrey out of I think Indiana?

They used to make Nashville show. Reloading supplies have dwindled to weere I seldom make a show!

When I dealt with them, they were in Godfrey, Illinois which was just northeast of St. Louis, MO. Godfrey reloading was a large outfit and had just about anything you would ask for or get it for you. The owner (Ethan) died about two years after he downsized his business, then his kids started running it. It was never the same after Ethan died. The kids were around here for about 8 months, then they dissappeared from the gun shows that I attended. If I remember right, I heard they moved to another state, so they may be the ones you saw.

TCLouis
04-21-2005, 08:16 PM
45 2.1

Illinois, Indiana, I knew it was one of those two I states up there! They always had a GREAT booth at the shows, but this was years ago, nothing in the last 10 years or so that I know of.
Reloading supplies just keep dwindling every time I go to a show in the Nashville area!