PDA

View Full Version : 9mm gas check mold

carbon_15
06-04-2009, 10:18 PM
I'm looking for a resonably priced 125-115 gr bullet mold for 9mm. Cant seem to find one for under $80
Thanks,
Jason

BoolitBill
06-04-2009, 10:26 PM
Try www.grafs.com The RCBS 9mm 124 RN with a gas check.

azjohn
06-04-2009, 10:54 PM
Here's another. http://www.a2zoutdoors.com/rcbs_bullet_casting.htm. That is the mould I want for 9mm. But I have to sell some 44mag moulds to finance it.

fredj338
06-05-2009, 12:47 AM
The RCBS is your best bet at that price. You can try NEI, but that will break your $80 mark.

Calamity Jake
06-05-2009, 08:18 AM
? Why do you want a GC mold for 9MM when it is not needed, plane base work just fine.

dragonrider
06-05-2009, 08:55 AM
What Jake said. +1

anachronism
06-05-2009, 11:02 AM
I too am moving away from gas checks. They almost triple the cost of my cast bullets.

dk17hmr
06-05-2009, 01:13 PM
? Why do you want a GC mold for 9MM when it is not needed, plane base work just fine.

Yea that.

Lloyd Smale
06-05-2009, 01:19 PM
I had both the115 and 121 plain base and the 124 gas check molds from rcbs. I got rid of the gas checked mold because the plain based bullets out shot it.

carbon_15
06-05-2009, 03:15 PM
Why do you want a GC mold for 9MM when it is not needed, plane base work just fine.

Not for me.
I dont have a lube-sizer..i use the lee push-through sizer, so I'm stuck with tumble lube (rooster jacket) for the time being. I load my 9mm's at a middle of the road 4.3 gr of American Select and I get BAD leading. I could back off the powder but this load shoots very well with jacketed bullets and its the load I shoot IDPA and Steel Challenge with...and I have been shooting this load for years I really like to keep things as simple as possible when it comes to reloading...as few powders and loads as possible. So instead of loading a milder load for cast, I think it would be simpler to use gas checks with my 9's and load them all at the same charge. I have a few thousand laying around that I got in trade a long time ago.

shotman
06-05-2009, 06:18 PM
well Me too dont see it for 9mm Other thing NO checks that are .355. You must have a Glock

carbon_15
06-05-2009, 09:14 PM
You must have a Glock
Guilty. but I get lead in my 92 and CZ also...but not as bad. I have several thousand .35 caliber GC's..I think they are ment for .35 rifle bullets but they work fine, I tried some on my .357's and they fit ok

Jumping Frog
06-05-2009, 10:25 PM
Not for me.
I dont have a lube-sizer..i use the lee push-through sizer, so I'm stuck with tumble lube (rooster jacket) for the time being. I load my 9mm's at a middle of the road 4.3 gr of American Select and I get BAD leading.
I will shoot hundreds of rounds through a variety of 9mm pistols will minimal to no leading. So it seems to me that it would be more worthwhile to play with the bullet or with the powder to find yourself a load that doesn't lead.

I could back off the powder but this load shoots very well with jacketed bullets and its the load I shoot IDPA and Steel Challenge with...and I have been shooting this load for years
You don't necessarily need to back off the load to eliminate leading. I shoot just 0.1 to 0.2 grains below max load in my 9mm because that is the powder charge that gives me best accuracy.

I think it is more important to get properly sized boolits with the proper hardness.

I really like to keep things as simple as possible when it comes to reloading...as few powders and loads as possible. So instead of loading a milder load for cast, I think it would be simpler to use gas checks with my 9's and load them all at the same charge.

I use gas checked boolits for my full house .44 MAG loads. Gas checks add an additional work step for every boolit processed. Believe me, if you truly want to keep things "as simple as possible", you are better off adjusting the powder, or the charge, or the boolit. Once you get a new "recipe" worked out, then it is just
cranking out rounds.

dhopson
12-10-2013, 11:28 AM
Do you absolutely have to use a GC bullet mold to use a gas check. It seems to me that pressing the bullet through the sizer will crimp the GC and size it (lead being softer) and all will be well? I am new to casting, started with 12 ga slugs. I have a Lee six cavity 124gn (no GC) mold on the way. Will it work?

Rayc384
12-13-2013, 12:01 AM
I solved the problem by using a 8mm Mauser FCD to make a shank on the Lee 124 gr. bullet. I used a Winchester ,308 case with a bullet upside down for a base to set the bullet and give them a squeeze. Works for me.

bhn22
12-13-2013, 10:23 AM
Do you absolutely have to use a GC bullet mold to use a gas check. It seems to me that pressing the bullet through the sizer will crimp the GC and size it (lead being softer) and all will be well? I am new to casting, started with 12 ga slugs. I have a Lee six cavity 124gn (no GC) mold on the way. Will it work?

A gascheck won't fit on the base of a bullet unless the diameter of the base is reduced to accommodate it somehow. You could post in the "Want to Buy" section that you'd like to buy some plainbase gaschecks for 9mm. A few guys have the special tools to make them, but they're not available commercially.

Boolseye
12-13-2013, 07:15 PM
Well, the man wants a gas-checked 9mm mold, thus the post in the gas check forum! ;-)
I'm sure it will shoot fine with no leading. Lyman,RCBS, make great molds.

You're not stuck with TL if you have no lubrisizer, though–you can pan-lube, as I do.
You can also TL regular lube-groove boolits and they'll work fine. I recommend 45-45-10.
The other guys have a good point. pb boolits work work good in 9mm.
good bullet, right size=good accuracy and no leading.

You can buy GCs for plain-based bullets from sageoutdoors on ebay. You press them on by running them through a push-through sizer backwards. They go on pretty hard, but work good.