PDA

View Full Version : Knowledge

Beekeeper
06-04-2009, 02:10 PM
I am a complete clutz when it comes to black powder.
I have a 71/84 Mauser I want to shoot with black powder.
That said I must learn as much as I possibly can to keep from making an ash of myself.
So to start at the beginning , is there a book or books I could ( should) buy to learn the first basic lesons of black powder.
I have read all of the stickies and as much of the posts as I could understand, and the only thing I know for sure is everyone has their own special way of doing it.
So, I am looking for the basics to start with and then maybe I will understand what everyone is talking about.

Any help will be appreciated

beekeeper

wills
06-04-2009, 03:39 PM
http://www.cisternpublishing.org/

cajun shooter
06-04-2009, 04:15 PM
The Complete Black Powder Handbook by Sam Fadala is a good read for the neophyte. You can find it at Amazon .com Look for the 5th printing as it is the latest and best so far.

Beekeeper
06-04-2009, 07:15 PM
thanks for the info,
will order the book tomorrow.
Hope it can teach and old dog a new trick.

beekeeper

BPCR Bill
06-04-2009, 07:44 PM
Beekeeper,
The Black Powder Cartridge Reloading Primer by Steve Garbe and Mike Venturino is also a good jumping off point for the beginner. Just remember, there's alot of advice out there, but when you really get into it, the trick is what works for you and your rifle. Play with it, experiment, be curious. Just cuz one load works for one of my rifles doesn't make it so for yours. Welcome to the club!

Regards,
Bill

montana_charlie
06-04-2009, 11:26 PM
You don't even have to step away from your computer to get this one...
http://www.ssbpcrc.co.uk/Resources/Introduction%20to%20BPCR%20Loading.doc

CM

Boz330
06-05-2009, 07:58 AM
That article Charlie recommended is as good as it gets to start. A lot of good info in there.

Bob

StrawHat
06-06-2009, 07:37 AM
In either Handloader magazine or Rifle magazine, (Wolfe Publishing) Ross Seyfried wrote an article on getting a Mauser 71/84 up and running. I don't have a copy of that issue so I can not give you any more info.

Perhaps someone will be able to post the month and year for you.

I remember he ended up with a paper patched bullet and black powder.

northmn
06-07-2009, 08:44 AM
I also liked Paul Matthews books on BP cartridge loading. They helped me a lot even if I did not follow the recipes exactly.

Northmn