PDA

View Full Version : Alcan AL-7 load data

rocktire
06-04-2009, 09:19 AM
Looking for some load data for AL-7 powder in 12 gauge for 1-1/4 oz loads. Anyone got what I need. I have some paper hulls and plastic. Fiber wads and plastic so if you don't mind include as much data as you can find. Someone told me that it is very comparible to Blue Dot. Thanks for any help you can give.

elk hunter
06-04-2009, 10:41 AM
rocktire,

Unless you have quite a collection of old hulls, wads, and primers your probably going to have some difficulty in making good safe loads as all the information for AL-7 that I have uses the old stuff. If you can find a copy of the "Lyman shotshell handbook" first edition circa 1969 or a second addition circa 1976, you will find some data, but again they list Alcan wads and primers in old style cases. It is possible that there is some data using components other than Alcan, if I get some time in the next few days I'll look, if I find anything I think is useful I'll let you know.

Good luck.

skeet028
06-04-2009, 11:52 PM
Don't have much for 1 1/4 oz loads. The standard duck load we loaded was 12 ga AA case Win 209 or CCI 109.. 29.5 to 30 gr AL7 Red Winchester wad and a 1 3/8 oz of mag shot. We loaded copper 5's for the most part. Copper3's when we could get 'em for geese. I also remember we used the same case 28 gr powder and yellow 12 ga AA wad with 1 1/4 oz shot. Didn't load many of them. I have lots of AL-5 and AL-8 and need a load for the AL-5 in 20 ga.. I even have new Alcan primed 20 ga cases to load..