PDA

View Full Version : Nothing like...

jonk
06-04-2009, 08:59 AM
this:

Usually I determine initial seating depth by making a 'dummy' cartridge- sized and expanded unprimed case, seat the bullet to just touch the lands- and save it for a reference. I do this by just starting the bullet in the seating die, then gently starting it into the chamber and slamming it home. Sometimes it engraves the rifling and pulls out in the gun but usually it pushes the bullet down into the case to the proper seating depth to just touch the lands. (If it DOES pull the bullet, then I start over, seat the bullet in the press, try chambering, turn down the adjusting screw 1/4 turn more, try chambering, etc., until I have success).

Not that this is the most accurate point for every gun/bullet/powder combo I might encounter, but it is a good starting point and about 75% of the time, just touching or just off the lands is best in fact for accuracy.

So there's nothing like it when I go to try this- most recently with a P14 Enfield- and the nice, long 3144299 doesn't even touch the rifling even with just 1/32" seated. Just swallows it whole. It's like a cavern. In this case I had to just pick a seating depth sufficient to support the bullet and go from there.

Talk about 'deep throat!' :bigsmyl2:

Calamity Jake
06-04-2009, 09:05 AM
Yep a lot of them milsurps are so deep throated that you can touch the lands with a yard stick

06-04-2009, 09:12 AM
I have to do the same thing with a 1901 M96 Swedish Mauser.

243winxb
06-04-2009, 10:23 AM
The throats are shot out from many rounds being fired, very common. Or the GI ammo was loaded with a long heavy round nose bullet and needed a long throat.

JeffinNZ
06-04-2009, 06:13 PM
Sounds like you need a fat Loverin bullet.