PDA

View Full Version : Navy Arms/Rossi Front Sight Fix?

Baron von Trollwhack
06-04-2009, 07:43 AM
I have one of those great little round barrel carbines in 357 M. As long as I shot 125 jhps it was a 100 yard tackdriver. For a year, I've been playing with heavy boolits and settled on a 174 grain SWC, that casts big enough for the oversized bore and shows promise of deer accuracy without leading and soft enough to mushroom. Over time it seems accuracy has degraded.

Now I've just noticed that the Front sight barrel/magazine band is loose enough to change several several degrees of angle between shots. That's my windage problem. The band screw is as tight as it goes, the screw through the magazine end into the barrel is tight, yet the FS band can be readily twisted a little.

What's the best fix? Thanks, BvT

pietro
06-04-2009, 08:20 AM
My Rossi .357 is a new BrazTech, having the front sight mounted directly in a barrel dovetail - but if I had an issue like yours, I would first try to tighten the fit before cinching it down with the cross-screw, via inserting a thin but grabby shim under the band, around the barrel.

If friction tape is too thick, then maybe tin foil or somesuch other material.

I would cut a narrow strip, so it wouldn't stick out from under the band, and/or camo it with a Sharpie.

cajun shooter
06-04-2009, 09:00 AM
If you continue to have a problem after trying to shim the sight then call Steve Young @ Stevez Guns . com He works on these guns everyday and will help you out.Later David

Calamity Jake
06-04-2009, 09:50 AM
The band screw does not have enough threaded length to draw the band tight enough.
You will have to shim the band or order another band screw and hope there is enough threads on the screw to pull the band tight enough as that screw is the only way to tighten the band.
Be carefull tighting that screw you can twist it off real easy.

Don't ask me how I know!!!!

looseprojectile
06-04-2009, 11:28 AM
making a block with a slot for a blade like the ones on a Winchester "92" and soldering it on. I still entertain that fix but I don't have the problem you do. If I had your gun I would try seating the band with some sort of Loctite or Epoxy glue. These carbines don't need to be taken apart often and I think I could make it work this way. I have always thought the front sight was the cheeseist part on the Rossi/Puma carbines.
Another fix could be tinning the inside of the band with solder to tighten it .
Sometimes some of the smallest issues can be agravating.

Life is good

Baron von Trollwhack
06-05-2009, 07:44 AM
Some great ideas here. Thanks. I think the first try will involve checking out that band screw for length, threading, & related then trying blue locktite on a slightly roughened mating band surface. I'll post back on results. BvT