PDA

View Full Version : Non-Standard Powder Containers

alamogunr
06-03-2009, 04:09 PM
I'm not sure this fits here but I'm not sure it fits anywhere else. A couple of years ago there was a thread on keeping powders in smaller containers. The opinion of several posters was that only one pound containers originally containing the same powder should be used. One or two posters used alternative containers such as small milk containers.

I have several 8# jugs of surplus powders and also standard powders that I bought when they were on sale. Even for the standard powders, I don't have 1# containers that match for all. On a limited basis, I have used the empty containers that Ensure or its generic replacement comes in. One of these little bottles holds enough to fill my measure. They also fit the shelf above my bench and the larger containers don't. So far no problem as long as I use a Sharpie to label the can with the identity of the powder. It sure beats getting out the jug every time I want to use the powder. I guess I would like to hear all the pros and cons of this.

John
W.TN

skeet1
06-03-2009, 09:10 PM
I do the same thing with smaller containers but I do mark them with an new label showing what is in it. What I do is make the label on my computer and print it, then I tape it with clear packing tape to the container so that accidents are less likely.

Skeet1

MT Gianni
06-03-2009, 10:58 PM
In 94 I bought 4 lbs of H4831 from a friends buy. His was a 32 lb keg. I stored it in a clean 2 liter pop bottle, out of the light, and in temps from 60-72 F. It has not varied from the same chrono reading yet.

Dale53
06-06-2009, 10:58 AM
The biggest problem with substitute powder containers is the possibility of mis-identifying the powder. Just take steps to see that this CAN'T happen.

I regularly use large pill bottles (get them from my pharmacist - he gets large quantities of pills in them). They fit the thread size on a "bottle adaptor" from Sinclair International on my powder measures. I soak the old bottles in water until I can get the old labels off. Then I do as Skeet1 does and print a label (I use a label maker) then cover the label with clear packing tape. This should withstand most any thing that will happen in the future regarding identifying the powder.

Dale53

RayinNH
06-06-2009, 12:02 PM
The only thing I would do if using plastic bottles is to use the same grade of plastic the powder companies use #2 HDPE. I don't know if there would be any kind of reaction with the other grades, especially with longer term storage. I just don't know but why take a chance...Ray

cosmoline one
06-06-2009, 01:04 PM
I clean metal can exteriors w/alcohol then spray paint them. Then I write their new contents w/a sharpie

zxcvbob
06-06-2009, 01:21 PM
I use small (quart) HDPE laundry detergent bottles, with the powder type written on with a Magic Marker. They are nice and thick, and opaque. As I use up 1-pounders of powder I remove the labels and use them, retiring the detergent bottles.