PDA

View Full Version : Savage 25/20- barrel plumb wore out!

Four Fingers of Death
06-03-2009, 06:30 AM
I have the opportunity of picking up one of these bolt guns with a very worn barrel. I can't remember the model number, 24 or something.

The rifle is a one piece action and barrel set up.

Is it feasible to lop the worm barrel out and thread up the action and fit a as new milsup No4 303 barrel (trimmed and re-threaded) then re-chamber to 32-20?

Alternately would it be easier to restore it to 25/20 by re-lineing the barrel ?

I like both cartridges and have Winchester 92 lever guns in both, but the buckhorn sights are not much good for hunting for me. I'd like one of these old bolt guns with a low powered scope fitted. A reciebver sight would be an improvement, but still not really good enough for small game hunting.

Bret4207
06-03-2009, 07:40 AM
Model 23B IIRC, I have 2. Reline the barrel.

Wicky
06-03-2009, 06:00 PM
Mick, have a chat to Sprinters they may be able to do a sleeve. I'm sure they could do a rebarrel.

Bret4207
06-04-2009, 08:37 AM
Those 23's have a rather thin diameter receiver. I really can't see doing anything but relining. Weaver still offers bases and with a nice 2.5 to 4X scope or a low powered variable they make fantastic small game rifles.

Four Fingers of Death
06-04-2009, 10:26 AM
I'll give Sprinter Arms a ring. I believe the business was run by two brothers and one died a year or two ago, forcing the surviving brother to scale back the range of work they do. I wouldn't mind buying their re-boring machines, they don't do them any more and apparently no one else in Australia does.

I have a 4x Bushnell Banner and rings which came off one of these rifles, it is a post and crosshair type, a style I am very fond of.

The rifle is not worth spending much money on really, but I like the calibre and the open sights on the 92 are holding me back some.

I should be able to sell the 92 for enough to pay for the job and buy a scope as well.

Thanks for the help, Four Fingers.