PDA

View Full Version : Sizing die for the 32-20 wcf

odinohi
06-03-2009, 05:07 AM
I'm not casting yet, but when I do I will be casting for the 32-20WCF. This is a link to the mold that I intend to buy. http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/bullet-casting/mould-details-rifles.php?entryID=54
Is there a better place to buy this stuff than Lyman? I also will need a handle for the mold. I'm thinking this one http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/bullet-casting/mould-handles.php The double cavity mold.
My question is about the sizing die, I havent had my rifle (Marlin 1894CL in 32-20) slugged. I have been shooting Laser cast 115gr cast bullets. Do I need to get it slugged? I could probably have a local gunsmith slug it, correct? How do I go about choosing the correct sizing die once I do get it slugged? Thanks all, Tom

Echo
06-03-2009, 10:39 AM
Well, actually, if you are anywhere near handy, you can do the barrel slugging yourself. You will need a lead sinker from Wally World, a 1/4" wood dowel from Ace, and a micrometer to measure the finished product. The first two are no challenge, the last might have to be borrowed - or the use of it borrowed.
Squirt some WD-40 down the muzzle, put some oil (any kind) on the narrow end of the sinker, and pound it in with a light hammer. Use the dowel to push it all the way through, and out the ejection port (you need the action to be open for this procedure). Catch it and measure it. Then make sure your boolits are sized .001-.002 larger than this.
So easy a cave man can do it. Oops - that's not very PC.

Echo
06-03-2009, 10:39 AM
Well, actually, if you are anywhere near handy, you can do the barrel slugging yourself. You will need a lead sinker from Wally World, a 1/4" wood dowel from Ace, and a micrometer to measure the finished product. The first two are no challenge, the last might have to be borrowed - or the use of it borrowed.
Squirt some WD-40 down the muzzle, put some oil (any kind) on the narrow end of the sinker, and pound it in with a light hammer. Use the dowel to push it all the way through, and out the ejection port (you need the action to be open for this procedure). Catch it and measure it. Then make sure your boolits are sized .001-.002 larger than this.
So easy a cave man can do it. Oops - that's not very PC.

odinohi
06-04-2009, 04:00 AM
I believe my father-in-law will have everything I need to do that. You better watch that caveman comments, you never know whos viewing. Thanks again man, Tom

Green Frog
06-04-2009, 07:20 AM
I'm reading this in my man-cave right now, and far from being offended, I am encouraged to know that this is a process I can accomplish! :drinks:

Regards,
Froggie

Bret4207
06-04-2009, 07:52 AM
I'd be looking for a die in the .313-.314 range, maybe even a bit larger. I have a number of 32-20's and 32 S+W's, Longs, Mags and most need a nice fat boolit of at least .313 to get by. The lone exception is a K-32 Smith that dotes on Lee Soup Cans at .310-.311. Weird.

You may also want to see if your rifle has the Micro-Groove rifling. I'm not a MG owner but I understand they like FAT boolits cast fairly hard.

Also, be on the lookout for a Lyman 311316, the best 32-20 boolit ever designed, bar none!

anachronism
06-04-2009, 08:56 AM
I heard an echo...

dubber123
06-04-2009, 10:52 AM
My CL likes the RCBS 98 Gr. Swc ALOT. I size to .312" for this one. Slugging will tell you for sure. I believe all of the CL's were made with the Ballrd style rifling. Good luck.

runfiverun
06-04-2009, 12:50 PM
you could just fire one of what you got somewhere and go pick it up and measure it too.

Jaybird62
06-08-2009, 12:51 PM
I've got a couple of 32-20 Colt SAAs and they like the RCBS 98-gr SWC. I slugged them the hard way. I was chronographing some J-word bullets loaded on the light side. Bullets stuck in the bore, so I had to knock them back out with a dowel. Most of the .32 caliber stuff I shoot likes a .314 sizer. Slugging as suggested previously will let you know if there are tight spots in the bore, whereby fire lapping might improve accuracy.

anachronism
06-08-2009, 01:53 PM
Slugging a bore with anything other than pure lead will result in false readings. Lead does not have a "memory" as do other metals. Even wheelweights will "spring back" a bit due to the tin & antimonial content. Jacketed bullets can even cause the bore to expand slightly as it passes through.