PDA

View Full Version : What is the advantage of a windage adjustable front sight?

Johnny bravo
06-03-2009, 05:02 AM
Do shooters with windage globes mechanically re-zero their sight for every distance they shoot; wouldn’t it be time consuming and a real pain when you have to fire so many shots just to get on target as opposed to a fixed globe that stays put whatever the distance?

This happened to me the other day; I was shooting at 300yds and started missing most of my shots. They were all hitting way left of the bull. My tang sight windage indicated that I was spot on with my rear adjustments for that particular weather conditions and distance. Then it transpired to me that I had one of ‘these adjustable globe sights’ and it may have moved, which it had[smilie=b:. I had originally zeroed the rifle at 100yds and super glued the adjustment screw, but somehow it had come loosed and the windage had moved. So, I had to adjust the front windage until I was back on the bull. But now, it was zeroed for 300yds. During the afternoon session at 900yds, I started missing the target again whilst all other factors remained as usual. Again I had to rezero my front sight until I started hitting the target. Now I was zeroed at 900yds!

So, what’s the deal, why would anyone use these contraptions when a fixed sight would have just stood put and saved me all the trouble.

I am sure there’s more to this contraption then what I am aware of; so I’ll be grateful if you’ll enlighten me as I have a shoot coming up at 500yds and my rifle is now set for 900yds[smilie=1:

Regards.

SharpsShooter
06-03-2009, 08:55 AM
Typically the front sight is not touched and set on zero for a good bit of the time. Where it shines is when you run out of adjustment on the Soule rear and wind conditions surpass it's ability to compensate.

SS

Don McDowell
06-03-2009, 09:34 AM
Doesn't your front sight have graduation markings on it? If not you may want to use a center punch or small chisel to make a zero mark , so if that happens again you can return to zero without firing a shot.

martinibelgian
06-03-2009, 12:13 PM
Johnny,

Seems to me you just found out the advantages of the adjustable front sight! [smilie=l:
BTW, will you be at Bisley next WE?

Gussy
06-03-2009, 08:38 PM
When the guys with the 40 min on each side buffalo sights have to adjust all the way right, THEY will know why a front adj is good. Ever try to lean all the way over the butt stock to look down the sight??

I do not understand how your sight is moving?? Is it THAT loose?? On mine, you have to loosen the off side knob (left side) to unlock it then move it with the right side. When done adj, tighten the left to lock it.

Johnny bravo
06-04-2009, 02:12 AM
Thanks for the replies gents.

MB, what is the WE?

Gussy, my sight is exactly like what you mentioned. The tightening screw must have become loose at one time or another. It's now sorted.

ATB

martinibelgian
06-04-2009, 01:17 PM
Johnny,

WE is WeekEnd

Johnny bravo
06-04-2009, 01:58 PM
WE is WeekEnd

Duh:oops: I thought so.

MB, I hope to be. There are two events that I am keen on Sunday; the HBSA 1910 meeting at Short Siberia and my usual shoot with the Shooting club at Century in the morning at 500yds. I am not partaking in any of the HBSA shoots, but will be hopping along to see the guys in action afterwards. Are you competing? I would love to see you.

However, I am at Bisley tomorrow afternoon at 100yds; hoping to test my new Farmingdale Shilo:violin: Let me know if you are coming that way.

Regards.

martinibelgian
06-05-2009, 02:25 AM
Johnny,

I'll be on saturday at the SSLRBPRC's long-range practice shoot - 1000 AM, 600 PM. I won't be shooting the HBSA 1910 meet on sunday. If you come over on saturday, I'll be theguy with the Martini...obviously!

Buckshot
06-14-2009, 02:43 AM
.............One nice thing about windage adjustable front sights, dealing with long range muzzle loaders is that as long as you're standing up to reload, the front sight is right there and handy for corrections. Of course by the time you've reloaded and re-assumed the prone position the wind situation can be 180* off. But there you have it :-)

.................Buckshot