PDA

View Full Version : my star die .45 acp is .452???

shoestring
06-02-2009, 10:50 PM
got my star sizer and it punches out .452. i was hoping for .453. should i just give it a shot at .452 or open it up a fuzz to .453? springfield loaded 1911 thanks in advance. ss

MtGun44
06-02-2009, 10:57 PM
No way to know without slugging your bbl. OR you can just shoot some and
see if they are accurate or lead the bbl.

.45ACP is generally pretty forgiving, and I have never seen a 1911 with a severely
non-std bbl diam. I'd just shoot some .452s. I'd give you a 85%
bet on you getting good results. Now revolvers - there's a whole 'nother story, they
are all over the map even within one manufacturer, and you need to pay attention
to throat diam AND groove diam. Autopistols are simpler, and .45 ACPs are the
most likely to just shoot fine with std loads and std boolits and std diameters.

Slugging the bore is the only way to REALLY know what size it is. The rule of thumb is
make your boolits groove diam at absolute minimum, +.001-.002 is very often perfect with
pistols, and +.002 or +.003 is often best with rifles. YMMV, remember that every single
gun is a thing unto itself. The targets and bore condition will tell the tale.

Good luck, please report back your results so we can all learn from your experience.

Bill

shoestring
06-02-2009, 11:01 PM
i agree with the +.01" i haven't slugged my bbl but have heard that springfields are pretty consistant at .452 and it wasn't necessary to slug. just give it the +.01" and you are good to go. i will slug it this weekend just for s and g