PDA

View Full Version : BP 'summer' lubes???

Hayfield
06-02-2009, 09:22 PM
I made my own lube for this year. Nothing fancy, just .5 beeswax, .4 Crisco, .05 olive oil and .05 anhydrous lanolin. Works good for me. But--- the temps are climbing and since my lube is rather soft I thought I would do something to harden it up a bit. Maybe something like an ounce of parrafin added to the next 1 lb batch or something along those lines. Any experience with this? Oh --- 45-70, 40-65 and 38-55; midrange sillhouettes to 500m. 25:1 alloy. Usually Swiss powder. Maybe soft is actually the way to go in higher temps, I don't know.

August
06-02-2009, 10:57 PM
I, too, would like to know the affect of adding a small amount of paraffin to black powder lubricants.

cajun shooter
06-02-2009, 11:29 PM
I add both paraffin and beeswax to stiffen my BP lubes for summer temps. I have found that the beeswax is just a carrier and as such has little or no effect on my lube performance. I don't know if the paraffin would do the same. Even though it's a petroleum product; I think that it's purity is what makes it usable. I am of course referring to the Gulf wax type for canning and not the craft or candle type.

Lead pot
06-03-2009, 12:01 AM
Hayfield Just add a little more B-Wax or Soy wax and it will be ok.

I would not use Crisco, with the preservatives in it will turn your brass green.
A simple lube that works good is just B-Wax and Peanut oil and you can add your Lanolin if you want. This mix will keep a long time.
I would start with 1 wax and 1-1/2 oil and see how it tempers for you you can always add more oil if it is to stiff.
I pan lube, just set a couple bullets in a small container and put the lube in and let it set till it cools off and push the bullet out to see how the mix is.

Lp.

59sharps
06-15-2009, 12:48 PM
I use my own formula 50/50 beeswax olive oil all year long no problems. I do not use spg
but found this very interesting on lube for diffrent temmpatures. info is near the bottom
http://www.blackpowderspg.com/history_body.html

wills
06-17-2009, 09:25 PM
I have not used this myself, but it is offered for whatever it is worth, I believe originally posted by Dan Theodore on Alterfurtz msn group.

"Great For Hot, Dry Conditions" sourced from Dan Theodore

Ingredients, Procedures, Notes, etc.

All measures are by volume.
4 parts refined beeswax
2 parts LubeGard's "Valve and Assembly Lubricant"
2 parts anhydrous lanolin.
OR
5 parts refined beeswax
3 parts LubeGard
2 parts anhydous lanolin. "This makes a dandy lube for dry, hot conditions."
Note: LubeGard should be available at any NAPA Auto Supply store.
Note: Refined beeswax and anhydrous lanolin are available from: http://www.from-nature-with-love.com/soap/.

Hayfield
06-19-2009, 03:10 AM
OK---- this is what I did. I made up a 1 lb batch of 'my' recipe and added 1 oz of carnuba wax flakes. It did harden up the sticks some but I haven't tried any through a lube/sizer yet. Now the weather has turned a bit cooler so I'll have to wait for the heat to arrive to make any determination. Looks like I'll have to go with my regular recipe till then.

Springfield
06-26-2009, 01:59 PM
Adding Parraffin will give the lube more body than adding beeswax as well as stiffening it a bit. Tends to hold together better, a bit easier to load the bullets.

missionary5155
07-01-2009, 08:48 PM
Good evening
I am still partial to Olive oil & Bees wax. In cold temp I use it 50/50. warmer (70-80) I mix about 45 oil/55wax. Above 80 it is better to have it 40 oil/ 60 wax. These are not REAL scientific weights.
I do NOT set my ammo out in the sun and let it bake. It stays in the shade... out of direct sun as much as possible. A box does just fine.
I also have a card (cereal box.. printed side towards the boolit base) on top of the powder. I have not run comparison shootoffs with the "Store" stuff or the BIG name stuff. I do not attend matches generally as they are all on Sunday. BUT My old Rollers (44-77 &45-70) do just fine out to the 300 yards we have here in Danville, ILL. Never no leading and the crud stays soft.
I also use the same lube on my BP patches in rifles and smoothbores IF I am pre-lubing patches for a days shooting.

RMulhern
07-02-2009, 10:36 AM
I'm 'partial' to Black Magic so I'll just let Sidra and Rdnck cook that up for me and not having to make it gives me more time to cast and roll PP bullets! It works COLD or HOT!!

Kenny Wasserburger
07-02-2009, 06:37 PM
Black Magic or White Lighting lube only what I use.

The Lunger

pjogrinc
08-23-2009, 11:53 AM
I make my own. 50/50 Beeswax and Jojoba oil (Original replacement for Sperm Whale Oil and used in the 1st automatic transmissions as hydraulic fluid). Works great from 20 F to 85 F air temps. Did a 10 round test in a 45-70 with 30 inch barrel at 75 F, firing 10 rounds as fast as I could load, and no more barrel fouling then after 1st shot normal firing