PDA

View Full Version : New Equipment

Saint
06-02-2009, 09:16 PM
I finally got all of my reloading equipment together and I wanted some opinions about my selections. I went with the Hornady classic lock and load press. Three piece RCBS die set. Hornady priming tool (for the price of a lee auto prime due to out of stock.) Lee Safety Scale, and Lee Perfect Powder Measure. I know that certain combinations of equipment can cause problems so I was hoping for opinions. I am currently using Unique and loading Hornady XTP 124 gr. 9mm luger.

runfiverun
06-02-2009, 09:19 PM
toss the lee scale.

mold maker
06-02-2009, 10:09 PM
What you have will load quality ammo. You don't need a fleet of Caddys to get to this ball game.
Just read all the manuals you can, and pay attention to the details.

dromia
06-03-2009, 02:34 AM
toss the lee scale.

As far as you can!

bertus
06-03-2009, 04:08 AM
ditto on the lee ,get yourself a scale wich will weigh up to 500 gn or so you can weigh even your bullets

JesterGrin_1
06-03-2009, 04:58 AM
I would have to agree get an RCBS Scale That will weigh up to 500 GN Or a RCBS 10-10 scale which is a step up. But I like mine and it is at least 20 years old. :)

And for the money I feel you should really look at the Lee Classic Cast Press and or the Lee Classic Cast Turret Press. They are a great deal on a great press. look up Kempf gun shop on google. Good people to deal with an good prices. :)

Lloyd Smale
06-03-2009, 05:53 AM
I just got a lock and load classic. I really like it so far. The lock and load feature makes die swaps fast enough that i doubt if youd save much time with a manual turent press. Whats nice for me is i also have new lock and load progressive and once the dies are set they work in either machine.

cajun shooter
06-03-2009, 08:19 AM
First take advice on scale. Buy a beam scale made by RCBS, LYMAN, or even find one used but toss the Lee. Second for fast scale work buy one of the cheap electronic scales that you can find on flea-bay for $29.95 with free shipping. They work!! I paid around $100 for my RCBS Micro pro scale and sent it back 3 times. I bought one of the scales I found for $30 and it is right on every time for some fast weighing. Mine even came with a check weight. I have used this scale for 9 months now and it's still correct every time i check it. The RCBS dies are the ones to use.

Echo
06-03-2009, 11:00 AM
+1 on the RCBS 5-10 or 10-10. I have each, and love them. That said, I heard that some guru checked out many scales and found the Lee to be The Most Reliable (repeatable) of all. It is cheap looking, and I would not buy one for that reason alone, but, according to the guru, It Works!
Oh well, go on eBay and find a 5-10 for about $50 delivered, or a 10-10 for about $100 delivered, and have the best.

06-03-2009, 02:43 PM
While the Lee scale will weigh to only 110 grains, I have found it to be spot-on accurate when compared to a calibrated electronic scale. Its nice to be able to weigh boolits and bullets, and an inexpensive electronic scale will do so instantly.

jonk
06-03-2009, 03:10 PM
I found the Lee scale utter junk- the only totally useles *** I ever got from them. The little fine balance knob was too hard to turn and messed up the scale; it wouldn't ever swing and if it did I tapped it and it would just sink to the bottom and not move. Total crapola.

Never saw the need for a lock and load die system. I can switch out dies in a conventional manner in about 5 seconds. But whatever floats your boat.

I think I would have done exactly opposite from you- Lee press, dies; RCBS scale. The Lee powder dispenser is ok though. Either hand priming tool is fine.

Saint
06-05-2009, 03:21 PM
Thanks for all the advice. I actually have to say that the scale seems to work pretty good. I do want to get something else though because I would like more than the 100 grain capacity so I can weigh bullets. I also plan on getting a 50 cal rifle in the future and from what I hear shooting them is ridiculously expensive unless you can load your own so I may need more scale capacity for that, possibly a bigger press too. I did get some 9mm loaded and got a chance to shoot it but I was having horrible feeding problems. I think I overcrimped but I'll leave that for another thread.

mooman76
06-05-2009, 04:32 PM
I got the lee scale. I don't use it much. It is slow to use and a little confusing at times but does function correctly and accurate. What I did was to get a inexpensive electronic scale and the Lee is my backup or to check and make sure my electronic one worked to specs. I didn't like the powder measure at first or in combination with the Lee scale being so slow but with a electronic scale I like it just fine. Make sure when you set up the Lee scale the beam is centered (not touching the sides)or else it will not function correctly and appear to give faulse readings.

1hole
06-05-2009, 05:26 PM
I have used a Lyman M-5 (Ohaus), the forerunner to the current RCBS 1010, and another old beam scale, a Herters, since 1965. Both are excellant scales. I have no need for nor any interest in a quirky digital.

That said, I used a friend's little Lee scale once. I was quite impressed with its sensitiviy and accuracy within the limit of its range. Can't imagine not liking it except it's quite light and easy to bump around when I got clumsy but that was my fault, not the scale's. And, as a powder scale it has plenty of range, I have NEVER used the expanded scale, above 505 grains, on my M-5 for any reloading purpose.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
06-05-2009, 06:30 PM
You've got it bought and paid for now. Use it and make ammo.

Regards,

Dave

JesterGrin_1
06-05-2009, 08:30 PM
I have to agree with Dave you have it now use it and purchase things as you need as you go. And maybe keep a sharp eye out here in the for sale section as things will jump up that you need now and then. :)

06-22-2009, 01:25 AM
i find with the set of lee scoops i scoop less then the advertized grains ( such as 3.8 instead of 4.3) with Unique (the only powder i reload with currently) so a powder trickers might be something to think about. I got mine at a gun show for 5$. I can't comment on the Lee scale i do however enjoy my Lyman scale it works real well.

leadman
06-22-2009, 12:43 PM
A powder trickler is nice, but the Lee scoops can do the same thing.

Avoid the $29.95 scale that Midway sells. It shuts off automatically was too quick and need very frequent calibration.