PDA

View Full Version : Dunlap Tools kerosene burner help please

45nut
06-02-2009, 03:01 PM
OK,, guy just dropped this off because his wife said to get rid of it and I ask the guru's to help in explaining how to fire it up and maintain it:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/45nut/100_1709.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/45nut/100_1710.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/45nut/100_1711.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/45nut/100_1712.jpg

He told me he got it from someone else and had no specific knowledge of how it operates, but it came with lead in the small pot so obviously someone used it for this.

KCSO
06-02-2009, 03:57 PM
Back in the old days plumbers sealed joints with okum and lead. That is what melted the lead. I would be very leary of firing that up without a good check of the tank. Also you want to lightly oil the pump with neats foot oil if it has the leather pump washer. You need to fill the tank say 1/2 Way with white (unleaded ) gas and pump it up to good pressure. You need to dribble some gas around the burner to pre heat it then fire it off. It will melt your lead in a hurry if everything works, but one pin hole in the gas tank and whoosh! I always hated those things and was happy when the propane units replaced them.

Johnch
06-02-2009, 04:00 PM
Sure it is kerosene ?
As I have a old burner like that ( 80%+ of the paint is gone) that uses gas

At least mine
Make sure the leather in the pump is oiled
Pump till your thumb is sore and then again as needed

Turn the valve to allow the fuel to the burner
It will not burn well till the preheater tube is hot

On mine at least
Every once in a while I have to take it apart to clean out the crud inside the preheater tube ( every 20-30 gallon of gas )

Mine is simalar but not exactly the same

John

45nut
06-02-2009, 04:56 PM
well,, he "said" it was kero,, but we all know how reliable some 2nd hand info can be.
I tried the pump and it has a very good seal, it snaps right back when pulled out.

i'll play with it tomorrow, it was in the back of his pickup and got rained on so it is under cover now drying back out.

yarro
06-02-2009, 08:02 PM
The only one that I have ever seen in use used white gas like a coleman lantern. I believe that they were used by plumber before everyone had generators. At least the one that I saw was a old plumber's.

-yarro

odoh
06-12-2009, 07:23 PM
My Dad (RIP) was a plumber and thats what he used 'til advent of plastic and glue. They use white gas and can be difficult to maintain.

pressonregardless
06-13-2009, 11:37 AM
I was given something that looks kinda like that was manufactured by Perko. I believe that mine has a data plate that says something about methanol? I'll have to dig that thing out and investigate.

mdi
06-13-2009, 03:06 PM
It could very well be kerosene. I've seen Plumber's Pots similar to yours that were kerosene and a lot of Marine stoves that are kerosene powered. The generator (coiled thing in burner) doesn't look like a white gas generator to me; I think they, white gas generators, were/are smaller in diameter. But I could be wrong. Can you smell what's in the tank?

mold maker
06-13-2009, 05:10 PM
I've got one similar to that, and haven't done anything with it because of the fuel question. Not long after I got the plumbers pot, I found a turkey fryer with 2 tanks at a yard sale for $15.00. I didn't see the need to worry with it after that.
It would be nice though, to make it work again.

RP
06-13-2009, 06:53 PM
All the ones I have seen have been gasoline you use the so called white gas because its cleaner. My surplus cook stoves use gasoline they have a tube that runs accross the burners to vaporize the gas burns a nice blue flame the hand torch my dad had also used gas. I dont use the white gas nowdays since all we got is unleaded thats what I use in my lanterns cookstoves and my surplus smelter that was a cookstove for the feild bakery units.

Bret4207
06-15-2009, 07:53 AM
I have a similar unit. Looks like gasoline to me. The Kero models often had a small basin under the coil that held alcohol or kero to preheat things, like on a blow torch. You can try the kero first as it's less flammable. Put some in, pump it up and turn on the valve after preheating the coil with a propane torch. If it soon takes off with a roaring sounds and a blue flame about 4" above the top of it then it's a kero model. If it spits and sputters and all you get is a sooty, flaming mess then it's a gas job.

I'm very happy with my gasoline appliances. Just add some carb cleaner like Berrymans or Sea Foam to the fuel and it'll help it stay clean. Very cheap to run, very effective and hot enough to take the place of any turkey fryer made.

BTW- these are definitely an OUTSIDE TOY!!!!!!!

barrabruce
06-15-2009, 09:11 AM
Hmm first off I'd check the NRV (non return vale) in the pump tube.(replace)
Replace the cap gasket. I'd use nitrile rubber for both.
and give it a pressure test.

Dunk in bucket of water when pumped up hard.
Check for leaks!!!!!

Pre heat well
If the generator aint hot enough you will soot it up quickly!!! made to run at one speed..flat out as far as i can tell.

Fuel..try kero first.

If the gen is blocked.
take off and try soaking in carby cleaner and blowing out.
or... heat with a torch and use a compressor to blow out the carbon.
Note the carbon with the oxygen will glow red and if you aint cafefull you can burn a hole in the pipe work.
Wear eye protection as hot glowing embers and not kind to the old peepers and I don't if they have a cure for it yet.

Barra

sagamore-one
06-19-2009, 05:57 PM
I got one almost exactly like that just this week. It pumps up, but loses pressure almost immediately. The gent who sold it to me assured me it was white gas as a fuel source.
I'm still trying to get it to work.

76 WARLOCK
06-19-2009, 09:01 PM
In 1960 and 1961 I spent many hours running one of these as an apprentice plumber.

rchaus
12-11-2011, 10:48 PM
How much is your smelter worth? I have a Dunlap kerosene smelter like yours I'ed like to know how much what it's worth.Can some one tell me.Thanks P.S I have the old pot that came with it.

Stephen Cohen
12-11-2011, 11:59 PM
These types of burners were used a lot when I was young, I still have several, Although mine are Prymus brand they are very similar. I always use mine with Kero, however I have seem them used with gas which is something I dont recomend as I have seen them explode. I cant say why that is but I expect its because they got a bit hot for gas. some place inside there should be a tray of some sort which is filled with metho or a fire starter, which heats the pipe carrying the fuel when these get good and warm, the unit is pumped up to pressure and fuel knob opened. well thats how Primus ones work, but as others have said make sure there are no leaks in tank and seams are still tight. also you should find a valve in it where the fuel will come out that will need to be cleaned with a pick at times, good luck

scrapcan
12-13-2011, 01:31 PM
look at www.spiritburner.com

There may be some info that you need over there. or like me you just may find other cool stuff you need to know and/or need to acquire.

W.R.Buchanan
12-16-2011, 02:40 PM
You lucky dog! I looked high and lo for one of those stoves, and the cheapest one I found was over $100.

Yours is a Dunlap which was sold by Sears. It is the good stuff and yours looks like it is in decent condition.

You should be able to tell if it has been used with Kerosene just by smelling the tank. Kerosene does not smell like white gas.

I would google "Dunlap Plumbers Furnace" and see what you come up with. I know there is endless info on the web about gas and kero powered lanterns and stoves.

I also would clean as much of the rust and dirt off it as possible before I used it. Especially off the preheating coil. A wire toothbrush would probably work wonders on it.

It looks to me like you got a good one. and if it pumps up and stays pumped up I'd say it good to go.

Randy

7of7
12-17-2011, 01:49 PM
I picked one of these up a couple years ago.. It works well,... Kind of fun to get going.. I use it to anneal brass that I am going to use for jackets.. Toss the brass in the pot, and let it go... everything turns a nice red after a few minutes.. stir to get the ones on the top, to the bottom, and then you're done..

It did take me a while to get mine going... had to clean out everything.. I should get it out and get it going just because..

I may do some smelting today... as this would make short work of it.. I have some stickons, that I need to melt..

W.R.Buchanan
12-24-2011, 02:25 PM
So did you get it running?

We want to know!

Randy

BCOWANWHEELS
10-28-2016, 01:19 PM
I have 3 of the c/l stoves. my dad said white gas or unleaded gas for fuel. dad was a lineman / cable splicer and he used it for that. got a set of soldering irons also.
bob