PDA

View Full Version : top punch

bigbear
06-02-2009, 10:43 AM
Are top punch specific for lubsizer brand/calibre, calbre only, mold /calibre?Looking to buy lubsizer and top punch(s).All my molds are for 348 and that's all I plan to cast for.Thanks for the education.Figured I'd get RCBS because of their warranty/ service.

06-02-2009, 11:42 AM
A top punch is caliber specific so that it will enter the sizer die, and to the design of a boolit's nose -- round nose, flat nose, semi-wadcutter, etc. Lyman and RCBS top punches will work in each other's equipment.

Bad Water Bill
06-02-2009, 06:29 PM
Lyman and R C B S # are not the same for a given boolit. check your mold catalog for the correct #. Saeco also makes some that will fit also.

06-02-2009, 09:55 PM
Thanks, Bad Water Bill. I failed to mention that Lyman and RCBS's numbers are not necessarily the same.

yodar
06-10-2009, 06:41 PM
A top punch is caliber specific so that it will enter the sizer die, and to the design of a boolit's nose -- round nose, flat nose, semi-wadcutter, etc. Lyman and RCBS top punches will work in each other's equipment.

I mold mine out of hot melt glue by placing foil or film on the bullet tip, a gob of hot melt and applying a spare top punch to the glue.

Better than epoxy, softer and less brittle and sets quicker

yodar