PDA

View Full Version : Cresent Arms Rolling Block

StrawHat
06-01-2009, 10:53 PM
Today I thought I found a Remington #4 takedown... turned out to be a Cresent Arms Rolling Block. Never knew Cresent made such rifle. Anyone ever hear of one or have/use one?

It was in okay shape and the bore looked good but I held off getting it as I thought Cresent was one of the house brands. Wasn't sure.

Anyone got more info?

Pavogrande
06-02-2009, 02:01 AM
DeHaas -- SS rifles and actions - page 193 -- Crescent -- c1891 to 1932 - absorbed by Stevens in 1932 -- "nearly identical to the Rem mod 4" -----

pietro
06-02-2009, 08:57 AM
The Crescent almost a direct copy of the Rem #4, except that the front of the receiver is a bit longer - and it has a slightly different takedown system, since it's barrel shank is tapered.

It's suitable for .22 S, LR, and Special/WRF (but not .22 Mag).
A .32RF can safely be converted to CF, with a new firing pin, to .32 Short Colt or S&W, or .32 Long Colt or S&W - as long as there's no attempt to make a .327 or .32 H&R magnum out of it.

Due to it's metalurgy, the Crescent action won't take steel welding, so brazing would be in order for any repairs/mods.

If you like it, and it's cheap enough, a takedown #4-size is "OK", but I personally prefer a solid frame #4, as being a smidgen stronger - although they're all not a very strong action.
(their weak point is the thickness, or lack of, at the breechblock pivot).

I like the size for it's handiness & petite looks.