PDA

View Full Version : Lee mold?

jack19512
06-01-2009, 08:07 PM
Does anyone know where I might purchase a mold for my ML besides Midway? I have always used them for all of my orders but they have moved the date back twice on me now and today they inform me that it will be June 22 now instead of today. I even called Lee but they must be closed. Where do you guys order your supplies from?

docone31
06-01-2009, 08:11 PM
When Midway is backed up, I use Cabelas.
They both, are backed up.
When that happens, I get double orders of the balls I need, and hold my breath.

jack19512
06-01-2009, 08:39 PM
Had I known it would be so difficult to get a Lee mold I would have bought more than 1-100 round ball pack. I don't have any place to buy this direct, I have to drive a long way or order this stuff online. Gas seems to be going up everyday around here now.

The Lee R.E.A.L. bullets didn't shoot that accurately but if I could get them to shoot better I would just use them, at least for now anyway. I am seriously thinking about learning to paper patch. This is something I have been wanting to do for some time now.

I think the R.E.A.L. bullets might have been under size and I am just not sure if you can paper patch the R.E.A.L. or not. I thought about lapping the mold but I would probably just mess it up and then I wouldn't even be able to use it any more. :(

06-01-2009, 10:12 PM
www.midsouthshooters.com.

jack19512
06-02-2009, 12:08 AM
www.midsouthshooters.com.

I appreciate the link but if they carry molds I couldn't find them.

Slow Elk 45/70
06-02-2009, 01:08 AM
[smilie=1:Google "Track of the Wolf" , they have what you seek and they deliver pronto.:mrgreen:

MtGun44
06-02-2009, 01:41 AM
midsouth DEFINITELY carries molds. Work the site a bit harder.

Bill

JIMinPHX
06-02-2009, 02:06 AM
You can try going direct to Lee also.

jack19512
06-02-2009, 07:52 AM
[smilie=1:Google "Track of the Wolf" , they have what you seek and they deliver pronto.:mrgreen:

I found the mold listed but they have the mold on back order also.

jack19512
06-02-2009, 07:52 AM
You can try going direct to Lee also.

I plan on calling them this mourning when they open.

jack19512
06-02-2009, 08:00 AM
midsouth DEFINITELY carries molds. Work the site a bit harder.

Bill

I finally found the molds but didn't see the 54 cal. RB listed.

Mtman314
06-02-2009, 08:06 AM
Mid-south is already 3 months behind on my order. Of course isn't everyone behind right now?

jack19512
06-02-2009, 10:39 AM
I plan on calling them this mourning when they open.

I called Lee this mourning, no go there either. Do they have a smiley or whatever they are called that shows someone throwing their hands up into the air and saying"I give up" ? Or one that shows someone pulling their hair out would be good too. :(

jack19512
06-02-2009, 10:41 AM
I guess I'll just have to order me some round balls for now if I want to do any shooting with my ML.:)

Terrier
06-02-2009, 12:10 PM
Try Grafs.
www.grafs.com
Terrier

Maven
06-02-2009, 03:36 PM
jack19512, First, you CAN paper patch Lee REAL's (I did this for my yndersized .50cal. ones and got better results, but not as good as I'd hoped for.) Second, by the time you lay out $$$ + shipping for a Lee mold, you might as well try this fellow, who advertises in the NMLRA:
jeff@jt-bullet-moulds.co.uk. The price is $30 for a single cavity mold, which takes RCBS, Lee, or Lyman handles in .599" or smaller. Jeff claims "most orders will reach you in seven days."

jack19512
06-02-2009, 05:37 PM
Try Grafs.
www.grafs.com
Terrier

I found some molds on the site but no Lee molds or round ball molds.

jack19512
06-02-2009, 05:38 PM
Maven

I will send him an e-mail and see what he says. Thanks

BCall
06-02-2009, 06:08 PM
You can try Dixie Gun Works, might have to call and see if they are in stock, but they have them listed. Billy

Slow Elk 45/70
06-03-2009, 02:12 AM
Jack19512, Sorry aboout T of the woff, If you want Lee round ball molds , I hate to say this but there are lots of them on E-Bay , and I have seen a few on Gun Broker, the RB molds don't sell for crazy prices like most of the other stuff, so If it means "no Joy" because you can't shoot....do what you think you need to do. Good Luck[smilie=1:

jack19512
06-06-2009, 06:22 PM
Well, I might finally have me a mold for my 54 cal ML. As much as I hated to I found a mold on Ebay and won the bid. It's the only place I could find a mold. It is used but suppose to be in good shape. I needed a mold so bad I didn't even think to ask if it was a .530 or .535 size.

I am hoping it is a .530 mold because I still have the .535 on back order from Midway and this way I would have both sizes. Now, I might finally be casting some round balls for my new ML. [smilie=w:

Mtman314
06-12-2009, 04:04 AM
I used Jeffs and was happy with what I got and plan to use him again. The Mould I got from him was brass, though no sprue cutter. I also am ordering Lee round ball moulds through Cabelas. They are claiming a three week turnover. We shall see.

jack19512
06-12-2009, 01:36 PM
Well, I might finally have me a mold for my 54 cal ML. As much as I hated to I found a mold on Ebay and won the bid. It's the only place I could find a mold. It is used but suppose to be in good shape. I needed a mold so bad I didn't even think to ask if it was a .530 or .535 size.

I am hoping it is a .530 mold because I still have the .535 on back order from Midway and this way I would have both sizes. Now, I might finally be casting some round balls for my new ML. [smilie=w:

I got the mold today and it was a .530 mold. It is in great shape and I cast some today with it and the round balls look real good. I have not shot any .530 round balls in my Lyman GPR yet so I am not sure how they will do but I still have the .535 on back order anyway. If it ever stops raining I will try these out and see how they do.

jack19512
06-22-2009, 04:45 PM
I still have the .535 on back order anyway.

Well, my .535 mold was suppose to come in today but after speaking with Midway they informed me it will probably be another month or two. I guess I better try and get the .530 to shoot. I have some .530 cast and ready to go so I will try them out tomorrow morning. :neutral:

GrizzLeeBear
06-22-2009, 07:42 PM
Well, my .535 mold was suppose to come in today but after speaking with Midway they informed me it will probably be another month or two. I guess I better try and get the .530 to shoot. I have some .530 cast and ready to go so I will try them out tomorrow morning. :neutral:

I would not believe ANY retailers estimate on arrival of just about any reloading items, especially molds. There are a few molds I have been considering getting when I can. Watching inventories at Midway, Midsouth, Grafs, Natchez, etc. I have seen the trend move toward fewer and fewer molds "in stock". Until this "obama craziness" settles down, just have to keep an eye out for them and get them when you can.

Go ahead and shoot the .530 RB. Thats what I shoot in my .54 flinter. You might have to find a slightly thicker patch (but maybe not). I use walmart pillow ticking for my patches with excellent accuracy.

jack19512
06-22-2009, 08:51 PM
You might have to find a slightly thicker patch (but maybe not). I use walmart pillow ticking for my patches with excellent accuracy.

Back when I first got my 54 cal ML I had some store bought .535 round balls and tried some well used white cotton t-shirts but they were too thick, made it very hard to load so I went to Walmart and purchased me some of the pillow ticking and it has worked good. If I need a thicker patch for the .530 balls I still have some of the t-shirt material left.

jack19512
06-23-2009, 11:17 AM
I guess I better try and get the .530 to shoot. I have some .530 cast and ready to go so I will try them out tomorrow morning. :neutral:

I tried the .530 round balls today and they didn't do very well. I don't know if my patch is thick enough or not, I never did get an understanding of just how tight of fit the patch@ball to barrel should be. I had read before that there should be(I think)an impression on the patch from the rifling but when examining one of my patches after being fired I saw no signs of anything.

GrizzLeeBear
06-23-2009, 11:58 AM
I had read before that there should be(I think)an impression on the patch from the rifling but when examining one of my patches after being fired I saw no signs of anything.

Actually, I think its that there should be an impression of the patch material on the ball. Of course to see this you have to load a "dryball" (ball & patch, no powder) and then pull it back out. I've never done this, at least not on purpose [smilie=1:. But if it was loading easily it means your patch/ball combo is not tight enough. You should have to give at least a couple good thumps on the short starter to deform the ball into the rifling. The patch has to be thick enough to take up any remaining space in the grooves with a bit of compression.
Go to the fabric section of walmart and get some pillow ticking, the kind with the blue stripes. Make sure you wash it to remove the sizing before using it for your patches.

jack19512
06-23-2009, 05:48 PM
Go to the fabric section of walmart and get some pillow ticking, the kind with the blue stripes. Make sure you wash it to remove the sizing before using it for your patches.

Pillow ticking is what I was using. It has been washed. I also tried some patches from an old cotton t-shirt.

jack19512
06-23-2009, 05:59 PM
Actually, I think its that there should be an impression of the patch material on the ball.

Yes, I think you are right. :)