PDA

View Full Version : Results with Mihec's H&G #68 mould

Dale53
06-01-2009, 07:17 PM
Finally got to the range today. My back failed me yesterday and I am gimping around like an old, old man (I have a couple of damaged discs in the lumbar region). However, I manned up [smilie=1: as I really wanted to see how this one shot. Here is my best target, fired at 25 yards, standing;

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj80/Dale53/img040.jpg

I am VERY happy! This one shoots as well as my original H&G #130 and has the reputation of functioning better in a wide variety of 1911's. I have already reported how well it casts. I can't wait to have Mihec start the H&G #503 moulds.

Dale53

ChuckS1
06-01-2009, 09:26 PM
Nice shooting. What load did you use?

Dale53
06-01-2009, 11:42 PM
Thanks for the kind words.

I used 4.5 grs of 5066 (a serious target load of yesteryear). I am using up partial cans and kegs of powder that I have had around for a LONG time. My choice, when I clear out the present stock, will be a keg of Hodgdon's Titegroup for the .45 ACP and Auto Rim.

Dale53

475/480
06-02-2009, 07:18 AM
Nice shooting.I shot some #68 boolits Saturday at 7 yards only.The boolit would clover leaf all day long if I did my part.And as you said this boolit feeds very nicely and the mould casts easily when at temperature.
I am shooting Patsreloading -----Surplus Powder- AA#7- 9.3gr

Sean

ddeaton
06-02-2009, 08:40 PM
Shot 150 of these today at 25 yds and fed perfect. 3.8 grs of Bullseye. Not as good as Dales groups, but I am working on it. It was 90 degrees and humid. I had powder all over me when I was done. I looked like I just got out of a coal mine! Gotta love Bullseye!:Fire:

cajun shooter
06-03-2009, 08:09 AM
Dale, Great target; now the reason for my post. I have complete disc failure at L2,L3,L4 and L5. The pain management doctors of today have several things to help. If you have not seen one ; find one. They implanted a infusion pump in me in March of 08 and I can now shoot again. I was house bound and slept on the floor until that was done. I can now shoot CAS and enjoy my guns. Best of luck to you. Another old man with back problems, David

Dale53
06-03-2009, 09:14 AM
cajun shooter;
Thanks for the concern. I am following a therapy regime that has worked in the recent past. I was fine until I got lazy and quit the gym. As soon as things get a bit better, I will return to the gym. Hopefully, that will take care of my problem.

Thanks again.

Dale53

Romeoburbs
06-03-2009, 10:16 PM
I received 2 Mihec H&G 68 molds yesterday and cleaned them up with degreaser and a wood dowel to remove any burrs. I cast them today and was very pleased with the results. I have an original H&G 68 mold and cannot tell the difference between the boolits as cast. I don't believe the molds need any polishing or other work. The workmanship on the molds is outstanding and they cast and release the bullets easily. Thanks Miha I sure do like your work.
Gene

Lloyd Smale
06-05-2009, 05:47 PM
anyone have one of these molds theyd part with. Both of mine were lost in the fire.

Potsy
06-05-2009, 06:30 PM
I'd be tickled to death if there was another run of these as I missed out.
That's what I get for not checking up on things for a couple weeks.

It looks like exactly what I've been needing and it looks like it shoots too!!!

happy7
10-17-2009, 12:18 AM
I finally got around to shooting these. The mold casts big enough that I can size to .452 and get definite sizing all the way around the bullet. I loaded it with six grains of Unique (which is a pet load from Ken Waters) and wolf LP primers. The great thing is this load shoots to the same point of aim as my other load for this gun which is with the Lee 2R 230 grain round nose. The gun is a S&W 4506 and there were no malfunctions in the 35 rounds I fired.

Accuracy was excellent. I often have success with Ken's recommendations. Attached is an eight round target I fired at 25 yards. Rings are 1/2 inch. I shot from the bench but forgot my sandbag so I probably would have done a little better with the sandbag, but I'm still real pleased.

I had also loaded some with Clays, but did not have time to test them. Maybe next time. However, this load already shoots excellent. I may end up shooting these more than the RN Lees.