PDA

View Full Version : mould size

testhop
05-31-2009, 12:04 PM
i have a 311440 lyman mould that drops bootiots at 314,5 .
and i would like to size to 309 or 310 is this to much to size them down to ,
thay are hard to size'.
the alloy is 2.5%tin 4%altomy 93.5 range lead i now know that is to hard but my math was off and i have a bunch already cast up.
these will be used targrts .
the reason for the high tin is i bought 150 lbs of foundry lead .:castmine:

mroliver77
05-31-2009, 03:51 PM
Not too hard at all. Should be a nice boolit. If your mold is like mine it has small lube capacity. I have to lube mine in a die same size or .001 bigger than as cast. THEN size down. This helps to keep lube grooves from sizing closed. Learned this from Buckshot and it works great.
Also the nose on mine is too big for most .30 cal. It works great in my micro groove marlin thutty-thutty though.
Jay

mroliver77
05-31-2009, 03:52 PM
BTW this thing kills like Thor's Hammer!! Very accurate also.
Jay

Slow Elk 45/70
05-31-2009, 04:04 PM
Not too hard at all. Should be a nice boolit. If your mold is like mine it has small lube capacity. I have to lube mine in a die same size or .001 bigger than as cast. THEN size down. This helps to keep lube grooves from sizing closed. Learned this from Buckshot and it works great.
Also the nose on mine is too big for most .30 cal. It works great in my micro groove marlin thutty-thutty though.
Jay

+1 on this boolit , follow this advise and it will work fine as long as the nose fits the throat of your barrel , I also use this boolit in 30/30 , works fine.[smilie=s: