PDA

View Full Version : Range report CB M1 Garand

zomby woof
05-30-2009, 03:36 PM
I shot my first loads for my M1 today. 40 grains H4831 with a square of poly-fill. I used a LEE 180grain boolit cast with WW as recommended on this board.

I cannot be happier with the performance of this load. Accuracy was equal to or better than HXP surplus at 200.

I have one question. What the heck happens to the poly-fill? I couldn't find it.

Thank you gentleman!!!!!!

cheese1566
05-30-2009, 04:49 PM
Can you share with me your exact recipe?:Fire:

What specific mold did you use?
What kind and how much poly is used?
I would like to cast for my Garand too, but am shy on where to start. I hear of guys using poly and dacron but don't know what I am doing.

I would be using wheel weights for lead.

Jason

shotman
05-30-2009, 05:38 PM
Boy Iam glad you didnt say you got 1in groups at 100yds with open sights. see my post in humor about accurate rifles rick

zomby woof
05-30-2009, 10:58 PM
Jason,
I was were you are one week ago.

I went to the fabric store and asked for Dacron. I got the funny looks. Everything says Polyester, poly-fill etc...
Dacron is a brand name of Polyester. I went to the pillow stuffing section. There were large rolls of Polyester sheet. They were about four foot tall. I got 1/2 yard of about 1/2" thick Polyester. It cost $1.61. I cut squares about 1"X3/4". I put 40 grains of H4831 powder into my 30.06 case. I took a 1/4" punch and stuffed the poly into the case on top of the powder. It puffed up just below the shoulder.

I use the LEE C309-180-R with gas check sized to .309. I use LLA lube. The COL was 3.210". The alloy was WW.

The rifle functioned fine. It ran two and eight round clips no problem. It was 10 clicks higher than HXP at 200. It didn't toss the cases a mile either. I saw no leading. Accuracy was on par with HXP. I believe it will hold the 10 ring on the SR-C target.

This will extend my HXP stash indefinitely.

YES!!!

smokemjoe
05-31-2009, 12:40 AM
You can also use the stuff out of the old style life persvers, pale yellow color, you can also use cotton.

cheese1566
05-31-2009, 12:43 AM
Thanks!!

I was able to get a spam can of HXP (lot from 72) right after I got my Garand from the CMP last summer before the election scare. Now the price went up, there is a yearly limit, and they are behind at least three months as we speak today.

I was able to buy about 500 pieces of once fired HXP72 from another member here last January at a very decent price.

After reading the older posts and links about loading for this, I became shy and afraid with the Dacron and poly fill. I wondered how well it would work being an autoloader and gas operated.

I have copied your recipe and method and tucked it into my files.

Now I got to find a mold and and start casting for my rifle!

[smilie=w:

Le Loup Solitaire
05-31-2009, 01:19 AM
I have 4 Garands and have been shooting cast in them for a long time. I've successfully used 3031, 4895 and 4831 with the following bullets; Lyman 311291, 311284 and 311334 (no longer made). I have preferred to use Lino, but water quenching has worked ok with WW. I use gaschecks, but have never used fillers of any sort. Grouping is ok...the best( 2.5"-3.5" @ 100 yards) coming from the 4831 with loadings varying from 40-42 grains of powder depending on which M-1. Which rifle also determines the sizing diameter of the bullet; sometimes it is 309 or .310. that works best. Lube is NRA 50/50 Alox/beeswax. Naturally there is a lot of difference in the sight settings necessary compared to issue ammo that goes around 2700 fps. No leading with any of the above powders or bullets and no buildup of any sort in the gas port/piston. LLS

Patrick L
05-31-2009, 07:34 AM
Just one observation...

I too was using 4831 (the Bob S loads) in my M1s. I came to prefer the IMR over the Hogdon simply because the IMR burned cleaner. I had high hopes for H4831SC due to the fact I load on a progressive, but it left many unburned granules of powder, sometimes enough to either prevent chambering the next round or at least dent the casings of the rounds that did chamber. There were no such problems with IMR 4831.