PDA

View Full Version : Best way to ship a rifle

cabezaverde
05-30-2009, 07:13 AM
I sold a rifle to another forum mrmber, and I need to figure out which shipping method to use to have the best chance of getting it there safely.

BTW it is a long barreled single shot, so the box will probably be oversized.

Which shippers have done the best job for you?

Johnw...ski
05-30-2009, 07:22 AM
As far as I know you are supposed to ship to an FFL. That aside, I have used the U.S. Postal Service to ship rifles out for new barrels, they have come back by Fed Ex and I have never had any problems. Packing is YOUR responsibility so do it right. I like to use a cheap plastic rifle case and enclose it in cardboard so it doesn't look like a gun case.

John

cabezaverde
05-30-2009, 07:25 AM
Yes, thanks John, I knew about the FFl part and have that covered.

Johnw...ski
05-30-2009, 07:28 AM
Also let me mention I have a small plastic case, probably from Pillar Lock, that is about 10" x 36" and I have shipped my 28" barrel hi-wall in it with the butt stock removed. Be sure to wrap everything well in the case. This case makes for a nice small package.

John

cajun shooter
05-30-2009, 07:43 AM
The guns that I've received with out damage have "ALL BEEN DOUBLE BOXED" This makes the thing almost bullet proof. By the way every outer box had some sort of Damage. Later David

1Papalote
05-30-2009, 08:08 AM
I have shipped by USPO and FedX. I prefer FedX. AT the USPO I have to fill out papers and there is generally no one who has shipped a gun.....................FedX is quick and easy. Who ever you contract to ship with, pack it good!!!! I have read too many storys of "customized" buttstocks of late.

1Papalote

nicholst55
05-30-2009, 08:23 AM
Here's how I ship them; I form a cardboard 'envelope' that slips over the buttstock, and another that slips over the muzzle and front sight (if applicable), and tape them in place. If it's a bolt gun, I remove the bolt and place it in another cardboard 'envelope,' and tape it inside the box. I mark it plainly 'BOLT' in black magic marker. If you don't pack the bolt separately, it WILL be protruding through the box when it arrives.

I wad up enough newspaper or bubble wrap to compress to about 2" thick, and place that in both ends of the box. Next, I put a double-thick wrap of (small) bubble-wrap around the entire gun, and tape it securely in place. One wad of packing goes into the box, then the rifle, then the other wad of packing.

It probably takes me a good 20-30 minutes to pack a rifle, and the packing materials do cost money - an expense that I pass on to the buyer. I've never had a rifle get damaged during shipment, and I have been consistently complimented on my packing method.

As far as common carriers, they ALL damage/lose/destroy packages from time to time. Some gunsmiths will not use some carriers. I pack mine very securely, and insure them very heavily. Once again, the buyer is paying for the shipping, so insure his interests. I also insist on acknowledgment of delivery of some sort. That means that the package must be signed for at every step of its journey. So far, I've been lucky and only had one gun stolen (on it's way to me via UPS). UPS made good on that one.

I'm not trying to hose a buyer; I do, however, believe in charging a fair price for packing and shipping.

Just MHO on how to do it, but it's worked for me.

badgeredd
05-30-2009, 08:54 AM
I have a friend that received a rifle in a plastic hard case that was packed securely inside of a cardboard box. The box was pretty beat up and the hard case had a couple gouges in it, but the rifle was flawless. I do believe I'd use a similar method and ask the receiving party to pony up some cash for the case. Actually pretty cheap insurance against damage for an expensive firearm.

Edd

mroliver77
05-30-2009, 09:45 AM
I have only shipped one long arm and used the cheap gun case in a cardboard box. I had to make a box and that took time. It also looked kinda crummy. It got to its destination just fine. Does anybody make or sell a decent package to ship guns in? I an a titewad but my time does have value "to me".
Jay

mroliver77
05-30-2009, 09:57 AM
OOPS doubler post.
Jay

cabezaverde
05-30-2009, 12:31 PM
I guess I phrased my post wrong. I am pretty comfortable with the packing, I was referrring to what carrier to use.

NoZombies
05-30-2009, 01:30 PM
Here's a Quote from an Email last week from someone dealing with shipping a rifle using USPS:

"First they insisted that I needed a permit. Then they tried telling me that it could not be a functioning rifle. Then they came back with "Until you prove that there is no ammunition in this we can not ship it." They made me open it, inspect it, dry fire it, and reseal the package. They were completely ignorant to the Gun Control Act (BATFE) which outlines what I can, and can not do, with regards to shipping a firearm through the USPS. I left the building having come face to face with stuidity, and it was a woman."

YMMV, but USPS is pretty consistently incompetent when dealing with firearms from my experience, and it might just be the local branch here, but the staff of all of the local branches runs about 80% liberal, and vocally so.

Maven
05-30-2009, 03:13 PM
cv, My local post office hasn't a clue about what's required to ship a long gun (BP or metallic cartridge), which is why I use UPS. However, with the latter it helps to have a signed copy of your FFL/C & R license in hand (and on file) prior to shipping. For all sorts of gun boxes, try Cameron Packaging, Inc.: www.cameronpackaging.com/

RBak
05-30-2009, 03:34 PM
Thanks for the link, Maven :drinks:

I wish I had had that link back in Feb. / March....I scrounged around for weeks trying to find, and put together, boxes for eight Muzzleloaders I had sold....all going to different places.

Seems this outfit has reasonable prices, and the "handiness" of having a right size shipping container on had, right now as needed, can not be over emphasized.....that plus using gun cases inside these boxes has simply gotta make something good happen when the other guy opens it.

Russ...

Shooter6br
05-30-2009, 03:49 PM
I have sold about 5 guns and shipped UPS. Finding a box is hard. i used a box from work IV pole box(I am an R.N) I tried my local gunshop but did not have much luck. I went to UPS to ship a rifle . I had to tell the woman"dont you want to see the FFL? She woukld have shiipped without it! I am sure thye Feds would be on my door like Ruby Ridge. Rick :Fire:

mroliver77
05-30-2009, 04:02 PM
A noted gunsmith told me to ship a gun to him and just not say anything to the USPS. He said it is legal and they dont need to know what is in box. A gun I bought was shipped to my FFL and only wanted a copy of FFL to know his rear was covered. So does USPS need notified that a long arm is in the box?
Jay

cabezaverde
05-30-2009, 08:47 PM
Great - I was going to ship Priority Mail, but it looks like the max insurance is $500.

Edit - I have to take it to the post office to get adequate insurance.

Gerry N.
05-30-2009, 10:22 PM
A noted gunsmith told me to ship a gun to him and just not say anything to the USPS. He said it is legal and they dont need to know what is in box. A gun I bought was shipped to my FFL and only wanted a copy of FFL to know his rear was covered. So does USPS need notified that a long arm is in the box?
Jay

Most people who have trouble with the Countertwits at the post office wouldn't have if they could only keep dey moufs shut. The Countertwit has a few official questions to ask, all the answers are "NO." That is what they need to hear, PERIOD.

If the CT wants to talk, fishing is an excellent topic.

Package the arm so it looks like a box. "Plain Brown Wrapper" comes to mind.

Buy enough insurance and a return reciept.

Anything else is none of the USPS's business and far above their pay grades.

Gerry N.

geargnasher
05-30-2009, 10:50 PM
Most people who have trouble with the Countertwits at the post office wouldn't have if they could only keep dey moufs shut. The Countertwit has a few official questions to ask, all the answers are "NO." That is what they need to hear, PERIOD.

If the CT wants to talk, fishing is an excellent topic.

Package the arm so it looks like a box. "Plain Brown Wrapper" comes to mind.

Buy enough insurance and a return reciept.

Anything else is none of the USPS's business and far above their pay grades.

Gerry N.

Exactly. I shipped a set of over/under barrels to Michigan via usps to be jug-choked and did my own thorough packaging, answered "no" to all the questions, and as far as they were concerned I was insuring $500 worth of "machined tubes". Don't ever tell them it's a gun or they go into instant brain-lock. I don't know all the laws about this stuff, but I reserve the priviledge to do honest business through the mail without unnecessary red tape, and they don't need to know as long as it' not dangerous chemicals or primers or something. If the competence levels were higher and policy more universally observed by usps, I would declare, but really, what is the difference between an unloaded and locked long gun and, say, a BMW driveshaft? The required insurance amount would almost be the same, too.

fwiw,

Gear