PDA

View Full Version : shortage on guns

kbstenberg
05-29-2009, 08:39 PM
last March i put full asking price down on a Ruger Red Hawk to a local gun store he said it mite be a couple weeks an he would probably have a gun for me. A month went by, no word. i called him, said he had been checking several of his Dist. no one had any. I have called once a week since then. Couldn't find one anywhere.
This week after my call to him i called Ruger. An asked them what the deal was. The person on the phone said they haven't shipped any for a long while. Asking more questions. Exactly when was the last time any guns were shipped. Well i guess Jan was the last shipment of my type of revolver went out. Well how long do you think before any are shipped in the future. O maybe 6 or 7 weeks.
I am beginning to wonder if it is worth having all that cash tied up on a gun not knowing when i will take possession of one.
Sorry i just have to vent
Kevin

mtgrs737
05-29-2009, 08:42 PM
Ask for your money back, then let the dealer know that if he gets one in to call you and you will come down and buy it. That should be insentive enough for him to stock one.

Wyldman
05-29-2009, 09:01 PM
Reading this makes me feel bad for you.

I just recently found and purchased a Redhawk 7 3/4" with scope, a couple of speeloaders and a nice leather rug for it for $700. I've wanted one for years to match up with my Super Blackhawk 10 1/2" stainless and when this opportunity presented itself, I couldn't pass it up.

I wish you the best of luck finding what you want.

Geraldo
05-29-2009, 09:54 PM
Years ago when I worked in a gun shop part time, the owner told me that Ruger made their guns in specific production runs, which is why it was sometimes difficult for us to get certain models. In other words, they ran Redhawks until they finished the run, then switched to Blackhawks, then to whatever.

jdgabbard
05-29-2009, 10:18 PM
Go down, tell him you want your money back, and that if he were to get that particular model in to give you a call and you'll come down and take it off his hands. No point in having that much money tied up in a gun that you may get next year, or not at all if Obama has his way about it.

jhrosier
05-29-2009, 10:39 PM
Kevin,
I just went to Gunbroker and found 69 Redhawks for sale, including many new ones.
You should make an arrangement with your dealer to receive a gun for you for a small fee and shop the auction sites.

Jack

Down South
05-29-2009, 11:17 PM
Kevin,
I just went to Gunbroker and found 69 Redhawks for sale, including many new ones.
You should make an arrangement with your dealer to receive a gun for you for a small fee and shop the auction sites.

Jack

I did that a few times myself. My local FFL charges me $25 for the transaction.

I had the same problem finding a SRH back in July. What was supposed to be a week wait turned into a couple months. I withdrew my deposit and ordered something else instead.

trickyasafox
05-30-2009, 01:00 PM
thats tough!

I wouldn't be surprised if ruger is delaying runs on classics to get the LCP, LCR, and SR9s out into the market in some serious numbers.

if you can live without the money- I'd say leave it at the shop. I know its tough, but its tough times for everyone and a lot of dealers run on lean margins. He probably really thought he could get the gun in a few weeks.

if you need the cash though, I agree with everyone else. Go get it!

bisleyfan41
06-05-2009, 05:01 PM
Kevin,

Jack

I agree 100%. If you paid full asking price to him, chances are most of the ones on GB are quite a bit less.

My opinion, get your money back, buy one from GB, and transfer it in to him. You'll have it in no time. There's nothing better than to have access to all kinds of firearms around the country at your fingertips.

06-05-2009, 08:39 PM
Ask if he's willing to be the transfer dealer for your Gunbroker purchase. My dealer charges 10% of the selling price. A bit steep, perhaps, but this is in California and the red tape is horrendous.

bearcove
06-12-2009, 10:25 PM
10% OUCH!!! My expensive dealer in Abq is $30.

kbstenberg
06-24-2009, 10:10 PM
Well i am still waiting for my R/ RH. Being a first time handgun buyer. An with Rugers policy on fixing problems with there product. What parts on the Redhawk should be checked for problems.
Being a newbe would it be prudent to give it to a gunsmith to check the whole gun out for function? Afraid i cant send it to any members to check it for me, SORRY.:confused::???::roll::roll:
If i accidentally shoot a few rounds, does it cansell out Ruger from fixing any problems?

kingstrider
06-25-2009, 03:13 PM
I'd get my money back and hit the gun shows. Shouldn't be too hard to find a decent used Redhawk.

wallenba
06-25-2009, 06:24 PM
I had a dealer tell me once that Ruger only runs a few production lines at a time which sometimes left suppliers short on some models. I have no facts to confirm that, but since they always become available sooner or later, it might have credance.

silverbuzzard
06-28-2009, 07:45 AM
Has Rugers. Merrillville ,Indiana store is 219-791-1700.If they are out ,they can get from another Gander. They are all over midwest.

Have them ship it to a FFL near you AND GET YOUR MONEY BACK AND FIND AN FFL
WHO TREATS YOU BETTER

Four Fingers of Death
06-28-2009, 08:13 AM
Trouble is if you get the money off him, you might divert it somewhere else.

NHlever
06-28-2009, 10:28 AM
Years ago when I worked in a gun shop part time, the owner told me that Ruger made their guns in specific production runs, which is why it was sometimes difficult for us to get certain models. In other words, they ran Redhawks until they finished the run, then switched to Blackhawks, then to whatever.

This a rumor, but it is not true. I know how these things get circulated, but Ruger has separate production lines for all their guns, and does run them all at the same time. The only exceptions to that is when a line is shut down to change a process, or gun as it was for the Mini-14 for a while, or if demand doesn't warrant running the line. All the handgun lines are running now, and folks are working overtime to get the products to everyone to the best of my knowledge. Distributors, on the other hand, don't order guns all the time. I'm not sure if it is done by quarter, or what, but I know the largest orders are at the beginning of the year.

Right now I think that demand is just more than the production capabilities of the companies that produce them.

Dark Helmet
06-28-2009, 10:41 AM
I wouldn't give money to a dealer until he checked stock at his wholesaler. If they aren't in stock, I would go to Gunbroker,etc. to get what I want

lawboy
06-30-2009, 02:43 PM
I don't leave money with dealers. Why? I have done it in the past and have not had any real problems except that on occasion I forget that I did it! It is better to keep your money and shop around until you find what you want. If someone can order it for you, maybe leave them a little deposit for their trouble but other than that, my money stays with me.

bisleyfan41
07-02-2009, 08:36 PM
An with Rugers policy on fixing problems with there product. What parts on the Redhawk should be checked for problems.
Being a newbe would it be prudent to give it to a gunsmith to check the whole gun out for function? Afraid i cant send it to any members to check it for me, SORRY.:confused::???::roll::roll:
If i accidentally shoot a few rounds, does it cansell out Ruger from fixing any problems?

What a shame!

This post is the result of the onslaught of negative posts on every little quirk that flips somebody out about their "faulty from the factory" Ruger. Even though some grumbling is justified with ISOLATED incidents, most slammers are ones expecting perfection at a Ruger price point.

Here's a guy wondering about the safety and need/willingness of a company to fix a brand new gun if there wereto be a problem. He probably stands a greater chance of being struck by lightning than EVER having an issue with his Redhawk if/when he gets it.

Don't get me wrong, a FEW Rugers MAY have issues, but overwhelmingly most are stong, functional, reliable guns that will endure several lifetimes of use. It's a shame only the "few" have this much influence on the reputation of a great company.

kbstenberg,
Good luck locating and aquiring your Redhawk. There are plenty out there to buy if you look. Chances are you'll be totally satisfied with it and in all likelihood, there will be ZERO problems. And if by the slightest chance there is, Ruger will take care of it, no matter how much it's been shot.

keeper89
07-02-2009, 08:47 PM
'got to agree with bisleyfan. I have owned a total of 10 or 12 various rugers over the years, have 4 in the stable now. had to send 2 back for repair....no charge either time and both came back "better than new":Fire:

NHlever
07-02-2009, 09:00 PM
Ruger has always stood behind every product they make for as long as they have the parts to repair them whether you are the first, or 20th owner.

kbstenberg
07-02-2009, 09:23 PM
Thank you Bisleyfan 41. Yes i was seeing all the Ruger bashing, an getting a little woried. I wasn't reading them jyst seeing the threads. An allso knowing you never hear about all the good new ones out there.
An just like 4 fingers said. If i were to get the money back to lookaround, here goes a little, an there goes a little. So i gues i will just wait.
Thans all to your opinions to stay put or go looking
Kevin

jack19512
07-03-2009, 04:17 AM
Thank you Bisleyfan 41. Yes i was seeing all the Ruger bashing, an getting a little woried.

Well, you can label it bashing or whatever you want but there is plenty of evidence around to attest to Rugers quality control. My brand new Ruger SBH 44 mag has been off to Ruger for repair for almost 2 months now. The last 2 new Ruger 44 mags I purchased has had to go back for repairs.

This isn't bashing, just a fact. I still believe in Ruger products but I am very disappointed in some of their products that are making it out the doors to customers.

The fact that Ruger will stand behind their products is all well and good, but I bought this Ruger SBH to shoot and I can't shoot it if it is at Ruger getting repaired. Must be something really wrong with it for it to take Ruger 2 months to repair it, or could be so much stuff is coming back on them that they are just getting backed up. Your guess is as good as mine. :(

Cowboy5780
07-03-2009, 07:45 AM
I sent my wife's p97 to Ruger a month ago and its back id call and try to check on it......

jack19512
07-03-2009, 06:19 PM
I sent my wife's p97 to Ruger a month ago and its back id call and try to check on it......

The first 44 mag I sent back to Ruger for repair took exactly 5 weeks. After waiting 5 weeks on the most recent one I called Ruger and asked for an update. They told me that my SBH had been sent to the machine shop for a new cylinder fit and it would be another 3 weeks which would be a total of 2 months time it would be gone for repair. On July 7th it will have been exactly 2 months since Ruger received the revolver. :cry:

bisleyfan41
07-03-2009, 10:00 PM
Jack,
I sure wish they fix your gun promptly and you get your gun back soon.

I'm not sure what to say, but if you've had 2 SBHs that have had to be sent back because of a genuine, significant defect, you must be one of the unluckiest people in the world. The odds of one person getting 2 lemons has got to be about 30 million to one.

I'm not sure of what repairs you refer to. Surely there must have been some sign of a problem you could detect in the gun before you paid for them that would lead you to believe there was something wrong. Please don't be offended because I'm not trying to and it's not my intent. I can't believe you have bought 2 brand new guns w/o some hint of an issue before the sale that have had problems significant enough to have to go back to the factory. Like I said, the odds of that are crazy.

And by that same token, if I HAD bought 2 Rugers that actually DID have significant issues requiring factory service right out of the box, I can tell you, I would sell them all and never buy another. You can't keep on buying them, knowing they're gonna be defective, and then think you have a right to complain. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice shame on me.

watkibe
07-03-2009, 10:21 PM
I have had a Security Six, 2 Blackhawks, a Redhawk, 2 SP101s, a 10/22, and a Mark III. I keep buying Rugers because (in my experience) I know they always work, the first time, and every time. I'm sorry your experience has been different.

jack19512
07-03-2009, 10:39 PM
I'm not sure what to say, but if you've had 2 SBHs that have had to be sent back because of a genuine, significant defect, you must be one of the unluckiest people in the world. The odds of one person getting 2 lemons has got to be about 30 million to one.

I'm not sure of what repairs you refer to. Surely there must have been some sign of a problem you could detect in the gun before you paid for them that would lead you to believe there was something wrong. Please don't be offended because I'm not trying to and it's not my intent. I can't believe you have bought 2 brand new guns w/o some hint of an issue before the sale that have had problems significant enough to have to go back to the factory. Like I said, the odds of that are crazy.

And by that same token, if I HAD bought 2 Rugers that actually DID have significant issues requiring factory service right out of the box, I can tell you, I would sell them all and never buy another. You can't keep on buying them, knowing they're gonna be defective, and then think you have a right to complain. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice shame on me.

Nothing at all taken personally. :) But, as far as luck goes I've had my fair share of the bad. For someone like me that buys guns often and with Rugers quality control in the dump it's really not that uncommon. The "30 million to one" odds, really!!! :mrgreen: Now if I were buying a lottery ticket I would agree with you.

And again, "Surely there must have been some sign of a problem you could detect in the gun before you paid for them that would lead you to believe there was something wrong." Well, not if the gun shop won't let you trial fire the gun before purchasing, which I have yet to find one that would let you do this with a new gun. Maybe possibly a used one if you know them good enough.

And, "And by that same token, if I HAD bought 2 Rugers that actually DID have significant issues requiring factory service right out of the box, I can tell you, I would sell them all and never buy another. You can't keep on buying them, knowing they're gonna be defective, and then think you have a right to complain. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice shame on me." And, this is your opinion and this might be how you feel but you are not me. It's my money not yours. :-D Anytime I purchase something new that has defects right from the get go that automatically gives me the right to complain.

As I said in my earlier post I still believe in Ruger. I have a Ruger SRH 454 Casull that I really like. I have a Ruger GP 100 357 mag that I really like. I have a Ruger MKII 22 lr pistol that I really like.

I've had several Chevy and Ford products that had problems right off the bat but that didn't stop me from buying them again. It could be just my bad luck or just one heck of a coincidence but all of my problems with Rugers have been with the 44 mag single action revolvers. No problems with any of my other Ruger products.

jack19512
07-03-2009, 10:53 PM
I keep buying Rugers because (in my experience) I know they always work, the first time, and every time.

OK.......if you say so. But I believe I can prove that there are lots of Rugers going back for some kind of warranty work after being purchased new. I'm glad you and others have had such great positive results. :grin:

jack19512
07-05-2009, 04:00 PM
Scroll down to post #10. :mrgreen:

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=288454

jack19512
07-06-2009, 09:40 PM
I haven't heard from Ruger yet about my SBH 44 mag and tomorrow will be 2 months that it has been back to them for repairs so I decided to give them another call for an update.

They couldn't tell me anything new today but will call me back in a day or so. I asked the guy at Ruger why it was taking so long to repair my revolver and his exact words were "we are super, super, super busy and even had to put on a second shift". So..............:shock:

bisleyfan41
07-06-2009, 09:41 PM
Jack,
I think I came off a little "harsher" in my post than I intended and I apologize for that. I sincerely hope Ruger gets your gun fixed up right for you and that your luck with them changes. I have/had 12 Ruger centerfire SAs (5 41s, 6 44s, and 1 45) and have had nary a problem (knock on wood/I'd hate to jinx that now) with any of them. Good luck.

jack19512
07-07-2009, 02:01 AM
Jack,
I think I came off a little "harsher" in my post than I intended and I apologize for that.

No need for any apologies, everyone is entitled to their own opinions and everyone's personal experience is welcomed by me whether it be good or bad. I am glad to hear about the positive posts about Ruger because I do like Ruger and regardless of my several experiences will continue to support them.

Lucky for me I do have my Ruger SRH 454 Casull to shoot while waiting for the return of my SBH 44 mag. The problem I have with this minor set back is that I had purchased me a Marlin 1894 44 mag and I was in the process of working up some cast boolit loads that would work good in both.

Problem was I was having real good luck with my cast boolits in the Marlin but couldn't get the SBH to shoot worth a crap even from 25 yards. I was doing much, much better with the Marlin at 50 yards than I could do with the SBH at 25 yards. I even tried JHP commercial ammo also and believe it or not was actually doing better with my cast boolits than with the commercial ammo.

So, I wasted a lot of lead, primers, and powder trying to get this revolver to shoot and had no worth while success. I did all I knew to try before sending it back to Ruger. I knew the cylinder should be looked at and Ruger must have agreed with me because they have replaced it(or going to) but the barrel was where I think my real problem lies and so far nothing has been mentioned about it. So I will wait and see.

When I get it back I will try again and will let everyone know how it turns out. If they do not address the barrel issue I do not expect anything to change though. If nothing changes I will just have to take a loss on the revolver and send it on it's way. I will still want a 44 mag revolver to go with my Marlin 44 mag so I could be doing some shopping around in the near future. :)

jack19512
07-12-2009, 08:16 PM
I'm still waiting patiently, no word from Ruger yet on my SBH 44 mag. :groner:

jack19512
07-13-2009, 01:28 PM
I knew the cylinder should be looked at and Ruger must have agreed with me because they have replaced it(or going to) but the barrel was where I think my real problem lies and so far nothing has been mentioned about it.

Well, Ruger didn't get back with me like they said they would to give me an update so I called them this mourning. The person I spoke with informed me that the cylinder had been replaced and now the SBH was having the barrel replaced.

Which is good news to me because I was sure that was my problem as far as accuracy was concerned. So, they are replacing both items that I told them about. But, do they have someone that is very qualified doing this work or do they have one of the shop monkeys doing the work? :confused:

I really hope the SBH comes back right and it doesn't have to make a second trip back to Ruger. I have read stories where someone has sent a firearm in for repair and it came back worse than before. :(

jack19512
07-15-2009, 09:55 PM
I got an unexpected call from Ruger today. They just wanted to update me on what's going on with my SBH 44 mag. They informed me of what I mostly already knew. Cylinder had been replaced, barrel was being replaced, said something about they were going to refinish it, and they were going to range test it when finished. But, they told me they couldn't give me a time line of when the SBH would be returned back to me. It seems like my SBH has been gone a very long time. :(

bisleyfan41
07-16-2009, 04:22 PM
Hang in there.
It'll be worth it.

jack19512
07-17-2009, 07:34 AM
I have to admit that I am a little puzzled about the refinishing part. Although they have/are replacing the cylinder and the barrel maybe this is just normal procedure I don't know.

jack19512
07-21-2009, 09:48 PM
It's been 10 weeks as of today. Still waiting. No word yet when I will get the 44 mag back. :violin:

bruce drake
07-21-2009, 10:05 PM
The refinish is to ensure that the new barrel matches the frame in appearance. You would expect new barrels aren't just sitting blued on the shelf. in-the-white barrels are easier to match to older frames.

jack19512
07-22-2009, 09:29 PM
You would expect new barrels aren't just sitting blued on the shelf.

My SBH isn't blued. :)

Heavy lead
07-22-2009, 09:31 PM
My SBH isn't blued. :)

Not yet, who knows maybe they'll send the stainless back with a blued cylinder and barrel.:kidding:

jack19512
07-22-2009, 09:40 PM
Can Ruger really be this back logged that it's taking this long? :confused:

jack19512
07-28-2009, 09:51 PM
I called Ruger today and they told me that my SBH 44 mag was ready to be shipped back to me. Said I should receive it by the end of this week. The person at Ruger told me that they had range tested it and the range test showed accuracy of 1 inch group at whatever distance they shoot them at. I asked the gentleman what distance they range test at and he guessed 25 yards but didn't know the distance for sure.

Before sending the SBH back to Ruger I would average around 5-6 inch group(or more) from 25 yards. Couldn't shoot it from 50 yards, was lucky to even hit paper from that distance. It sure wouldn't shoot like my Ruger SRH 454 Casull does.

I already have some rounds loaded up and ready to go. I have some Speer 270 grain Gold Dot ammo loaded up with some 296 powder and some of my cast boolits with the 296 powder also that my Marlin 1894 44 mag likes. So, if I get it back by this weekend I will find out if the wait was worth it or if I just wasted my time. I can't tell you how much I hope it was time well spent. :Fire:

bob208
08-02-2009, 12:44 PM
the first part of a ruger that should be checked is the owner. did they take it apart and fix it or tune it? try to make the cal. it is in hotter then it was ever intended tobe?
i have owned close to a 100 rugers, i used to collect them. only had a problem with 1 then found out it was owned by a nut the fanned it all the time.

jack19512
08-03-2009, 04:52 PM
the first part of a ruger that should be checked is the owner. did they take it apart and fix it or tune it? try to make the cal. it is in hotter then it was ever intended tobe?
i have owned close to a 100 rugers, i used to collect them. only had a problem with 1 then found out it was owned by a nut the fanned it all the time.

Huh????:confused: I realize this is just your opinion and probably not personally directed at me but in this case it doesn't apply. And I am sure it doesn't apply to many others as well that have had to return a brand new gun that was purchased by them. I've had to send back two Ruger 44 mags because of defects, and both were bought new by me.

First one was fixed by Ruger and I will have to wait and see about the second. Bye the way I am suppose to get it back tomorrow. I'm pretty sure Ruger wouldn't have replaced the cylinder and barrel if there hadn't been anything wrong. Keep in mind gentlemen it has been back to Ruger for almost 3 months and it's taken this long for a reason. They have been very busy according to the person I talked to at Ruger! I do understand the point about previously owned firearms though and weekend gunsmiths. :)

And also, NO, none of my Rugers have had anything done to them period. They are as I bought them when new. The problem with my two Ruger 44 mags were defects, not damage, misuse, or neglect.

jack19512
08-05-2009, 06:46 AM
I got the SBH back and it looks good. I am very anxious to try it out but they are giving thunderstorms for the next couple of days. Where I shoot tends to get muddy after it rains so I am going to try and get in some time between the rain showers.

The repair slip states the cylinder and barrel were replaced and with the sights centered bullet group is 1/2 inch left and 1 inch group from distance fired. Doesn't say what the distance was though. I was hoping they would send me the target they shot.

I will try the following ammo in this order. Commercial jacketed ammo, some of my jacketed reloaded ammo, and some of my cast Lee 310 gr. ammo that does so well in my Marlin 1894. I Might load up some of my Lee 240 gr. swc cast to try also.