PDA

View Full Version : Faux Sniper

KCSO
03-07-2006, 08:40 PM
I have wanted a #4 T since 1969 and I should have bought one then. I remember them going for $129.00 when a New 700 Remington was like $90 so they were out of reach then. I recently bid one up to $750.00 on Gunbroker and never even touched the reserve and last I looked the gun was over $2500. So...

I took a #4 with a mint bore and a nice stock and made my own. The scope is a Weaver 330 2 1/2 power and the mount is an S and K so i can in just a few minutes convert the rifle back to its standard form. The gun will shoot into an inch and a half with the best loads at 100 yards and my largest 5 shot group went 2 1/8". This is with a little fuzzy 2 1/2 power scope. My best group at 50 yards is enclosed. It is just under 3/4". My current load is a Lee 165 over Red Dot in a 30-40 case and fired with LP primers.

Four Fingers of Death
03-08-2006, 03:45 AM
I picked up one recently with scope in the original tin for AUD550. The dealer was a self opinionated know all and was determined that the seller was trying to rip him off and had stamped the numbers on the rifle to get under his guard. I think if thats what he was up to he would have been looking for more money. I didn't care, I knew the scope was worth more than 550 bucks, so I bought it.

I instantly had a lot of people driving me mad for it.

I ended up swapping it with a young guy at work who is a collector and he handed over a mint 1985 Deluxe Weatherby MkV 240WMwith a Burris 4-12 Scope and aboout 120rounds of new W'ammo and about 100 odd cases and reloading dies. A few days after his I saw one for sale for AUD4500. Ah well, I like the MkV.

You should have a lot of fun with your faux sniper. Itwould be a shame to wear out a real one. Thats one of the main reasons I handed it over, I would just wear it out.

I have a mint 1960 vintage Model 70 Featherweight in 243. It probably should be sold to a collector.

Bret4207
03-17-2006, 09:18 AM
Yeah, those little 330's were state of the art at one time. Hard to imagine being out in a jungle someplace and trying to pick a Japanese sniper out of a tree with those dark little scopes. I have a Weaver G4 on one of my Savage 23 25WCF's. It's a scope, but thats about all. Even in good light it's dark and hard to use. I hope to find a 1" side mount to match the holes presently in the reciever and upgrade to a K-4 or K-6. I also have a Lyman Jr Targetspot form the same era. Despite it's ridiculous worth, it's a bit dim too. I guess the old timers had better eyes or maybe we're just spolied.

Four Fingers of Death
03-19-2006, 06:43 AM
One thing we keep forgetting, these soldiers were all 19-20yrs old and had good eyesight.