PDA

View Full Version : Environmental, Health Groups Ask EPA To Ban Manufacture of Lead Wheel Weights

jh45gun
05-29-2009, 04:11 PM
Just saw this at an other forum if this is a repeat sorry.

Environmental, Health Groups Ask EPA To Ban Manufacture of Lead Wheel Weights

A dozen environmental and public health organizations petitioned the Environmental Protection Agency May 28 to ban the manufacture and sale of lead wheel weights, despite a denial of a similar petition four years ago.

The petition asked EPA to establish regulations under the Toxic Substances Control Act (TSCA, 15 U.S.C. 2620) prohibiting the manufacture, processing, and distribution of the weights because they pose a “significant threat” to human health. EPA denied a similar petition by the Ecology Center in 2005, saying there were not enough data available to support the ban. Oliver Bernstein, spokesman with petition signatory the Sierra Club, told BNA May 28 that the environmental groups hope the new administration will be more receptive to the request. He also said subsequent studies have verified the magnitude of the problem and this petition narrows the request. “We did not ask EPA to set up regulations for disposal of the wheel weights, since that is more in the purview of the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act.”

In 2008, the agency launched a voluntary program to reduce the use of lead in wheel weights by December 2011. The National Lead-Free Wheel Weight Initiative (NLFWWI) had 40 charter members and four subsequent members, but in its petition, the Ecology Center said the initiative does not go far enough (169 DEN A-1, 9/2/08).

“While commitment of major retailers has an impact, the tire repair and replacement market is diversified with hundreds of thousands of service stations across the country,” the group wrote in the petition. “Petitioners estimate that not more than one-third of the lead wheel weight market would potentially be changed to lead-free due to the NLFWWI.”

Bernstein also said that with the voluntary effort, EPA has created a situation where three of the four producers have agreed to shift away from lead wheel weights.

“The remaining one will now be able to fill the gap created in the market,” he said, adding that Chinese imports could also become a problem.
By Charlotte E. Tucker

More information on the environmental groups' petition is available at http://www.leadfreewheels.org/.

Down South
05-29-2009, 05:01 PM
Yup, these petitions and some state bans have been going on for a while now. So far Ca is the only state I know of that has a (State Ban) on lead WW but I look for others to follow suite sooner or later.

Cloudpeak
05-29-2009, 05:34 PM
I'm all for it. After all, it's "For the children". Think of all the little tykes who will now be safe. Instead of out on the right of way grazing wheel weights, they will now be safe at home.:???:

05-29-2009, 05:59 PM
I, to my great misfortune, live in California. The manager of a tire store who gives me free weights, said he can order only steel weights. Come January '10, lead wheel weights will be banned from being installed on new tires. It'll take years before they disappear, but lead weights are going the way of the dodo bird. Other states are sure to follow, regardless of what the feds do.

Get 'em while you can...

lead Foot
05-29-2009, 08:12 PM
What ever you do don't mention it here in oz. There has been no sign of a ban here.Starting to see zinc wheel weights on imported cars only.
lead foot; :coffee:

runfiverun
05-29-2009, 08:16 PM
you should start a petition to ban those toxic zinc ww's it is far more deadly than Pb is.

fredj338
05-29-2009, 09:00 PM
Yup, these petitions and some state bans have been going on for a while now. So far Ca is the only state I know of that has a (State Ban) on lead WW but I look for others to follow suite sooner or later.

Yep, the Liberal do gooders strike again! The lead WW ban goes inot effect here the end of this year, so I expect lead WW to start disapearing by June of 2010. I am trying to get as much as I can, once the ban comes, that's pretty much it. Washington state & Oregon are also signing on & will be done by 2010 I think.:(

35remington
05-29-2009, 09:29 PM
It's not much of a stretch to imagine lead bullets of ALL types being banned for "health hazards to the public."

Let alone wheelweights.

Nora
05-29-2009, 10:20 PM
I like WW's. It's almost the only thing I use, not including the occasional straight Pb for the round ball shooter. When I've needed just Pb, my local recycling center has always had small mountains of the stuff on hand. I cringe at the thought of no longer being able to get a hold of clip ons by the bucket. But will really be sick when any thing lead will be band from use or purchase by the masses such as us.