PDA

View Full Version : A .22 coming home..

housedad
05-29-2009, 01:29 PM
About 31 years ago when I was 19, my Brother gave me a Ithaca saddlegun model 29 , single shot 22, martini action, for Christmas.

I had a couple of other 22's but this is the one that I ended up taking with me all the time. It was a really sweet in all respects. Light, well balanced, and accurate as a laser.

I really fell in love with that gun, but, some 6 years later, my brother came up and said he wanted 'his'gun back, and that he did not give it to me.

Well, to keep down trouble, (he was a know indian giver-- part of his nature I guess) I went ahead and gave it back.

It wasn't long before I started to miss that gun and started looking for one in decent condition, as they had stopped manufacture.

I had no luck, and once in a while I would try again and maybe even find one that was in bad shape.

25 years have gone by, and yesterday, I took my FIL to a local gunshop to buy his first pistol..(S&W mod 24) and I wrote down on a scrap of paper the two guns that I always have been looking for. (the other is a browning A-bolt 22 in excell)

The owner looks at the paper, and tells me to go around behind a back counter and look in the corner of a bottom gun rack.

There, in about 95% condition, sat a beautiful saddlegun. My heart nearly stopped. I grabbed it up, looked at it, and without even seeing the price, said 'it's mine!" I did not have the cash with me, so I asked hin to hold it and I would be back today. I'm going back now.

I have a collection of about 160 guns, but the only time I have been this excited about a gun was when my mother came into my bedroom on my 16Th birthday, woke me up and handed me a new S&W mode 27.

I must be crazy to ge so worked up over a little 22.

Bion

oldhickory
05-29-2009, 01:47 PM
"I must be crazy to ge so worked up over a little 22."

Are you kidding!?...If I were stuck with just one gun in a survival situation, it would be just that!...A nice little .22rf. :-D

BPCR Bill
05-29-2009, 02:41 PM
That's right up there with finding your lost dog! I managed somehow to keep my first 22 from my big brothers, and I still have it, and shoot it. All the guns they got from Dad are long gone. The ones I got, I still have.

Regards,
Bill

housedad
05-29-2009, 05:32 PM
It's georgeous!!!!!! A total closet queen.

It's a Ted Williams (Sears)version. The only real dings are on the paint on the lever. I can repaint that no sweat with oven cure epoxy brom brownells. The reciever and lever are aluminum.

No wear, tight action. YESSS!!!

I am a kid home from the candystore!!!

Just showed it to my daughters, 11 and 17, and they are already arguing over who is going to shoot it first on Sunday.(we go to the range every other sunday.. They fell in love with it at first sight.

I have to go out tonight, but I will try to get some pics up later.

Bion

housedad
05-30-2009, 02:54 AM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/picture.php?albumid=72&pictureid=883

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/picture.php?albumid=72&pictureid=882

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/picture.php?albumid=72&pictureid=881

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/picture.php?albumid=72&pictureid=880

Bret4207
05-30-2009, 08:42 AM
My very first gun on my 11th birthday! Mine was the Ithaca M49 version. Dad later mounted a Weaver D-4 scope and that gun resulted in the demise of many red squirrels whose tails were traded to the Rooster Tail or Mepps companies for fishing lures. I later let it go for some reason, same with the Winchester M 320 that replaced it. Stupid, stupid, stupid!

Glad to see a nice one in good hands. The Ted Williams just makes it a bit friendlier as I grew up reading all those little blurbs and booklets Ol' Ted had in the Sears catalogs. I doubt Ted ever said any of it, but he was the man!

Firebricker
05-31-2009, 11:00 PM
Good find Housedad ! There's nothing better than a good old .22lr I still have my first it's old
Mossberg M46. Gettin all worked up over a .22 is perfectly normal IMO. LOL FB

Throckmorton
05-31-2009, 11:58 PM
Now THAT'S a heartwarming story !!

congrats on your find. !

atr
06-01-2009, 10:18 AM
good for you Housedad !!!

my first rifle was a .22 J.C. Higgins single shot.....Ive still got it and still shoot it on a regular basis.....it has accounted for alot of cottontail rabbits and grey squirrels.....I used to strap it to the handbars of my bicycle and then head over to my favorite hunting ground, about 20 minutes away on my bicycle. Great memories and Im glad you got your rifle back along with those memories.
Happy shooting
atr