PDA

View Full Version : Corbin Series II "gripe"

shooterg
05-29-2009, 11:59 AM
Anybody else have one ? I have broken 3 of the stop pins so far and Corbin ain't answering my last couple emails to buy more $7.50 replacements. I understand that this part is "disposable" and is 'sposed to break before you put too much pressure on the die, but really ! The pin that came with it lasted a long time, the replacements break like toothpicks and look porous inside. I was told that when they upgraded to the CSP press that the stop pin was made bigger. The pin part is only 1" long and about 0.236" diameter, could I just massage a 1/4" bolt spinning in a drill with a file and get by ? or does anyone but Corbin have this part ?

MIBULLETS
05-29-2009, 10:18 PM
What are you swaging when you broke the pins?

I have a CSP press and have swaged 22, 6 mm, 357, and 358 bullets and not had any problems. I have some of the older M dies and have also used the short stop pin, but the longer one that goes all the way through is a stronger setup. Maybe you could carefully drill through the other side and use the longer stop pin so you get support on both sides of the internal punch. I don't see why you couldn't make the pin yourself.

shooterg
05-29-2009, 10:59 PM
I don't have a lathe/access to one/lathe skills ! I knew the CSP pin was improved, did not know it went all the way through for more support. Corbin offers an upgrade on the Series II with the CSP improvements, but it's $140 plus shipping 2 ways and God knows how long a wait. Curious, what is the diameter on the CSP pin ? The original pin I got with the used press is bent and obviously not the same material as the factory pins, which do not flex at all, just snap. I've only made several thousand .224 bullets and a few .44's. ALL the breaks happened point forming .224.

MIBULLETS
05-29-2009, 11:12 PM
Wow, broke it on a 224 point forming? That is pretty low pressure normally. Does it feel like you are pushing very hard when they break? For me, pointing a 22 bullet feels about like seating a rifle bullet when reloading. If it feels much harder than that there may be other issues. What shape is the point forming die? Mine is a 6S. The sharper the point, more pressure required.

The longer pin is the same diameter as the older short one.

shooterg
05-29-2009, 11:22 PM
7 ogive die . And it doesn't FEEL hard at all, though obviously is. And just drilling for the longer pin won't work, 'cause my ram is not slotted all the way through. Another improvement on the CSP series presses( maybe larger ram diameter too? Never seen a Corbin press in person except for mine). I probably was not the only guy busting Series II pins !

MIBULLETS
05-29-2009, 11:33 PM
I have heard of this before so you are definitely not the only one. I forgot about the ram slot. I think the ram is the same diameter though. If I make it to my Dad's this weekend I will look at his press. He just bought a older Series II used.

You may still be able to make your own pin. I don't know what grade bolt to use though. You want strength, not too brittle, but not too soft either. Maybe one of the more metal smart guys can chime in here?

phil218b
05-29-2009, 11:38 PM
Go buy a drill the same diameter of the hole and put it in. Mine is 15/64, put in the smooth side cut it off a little long and glue a button on it