PDA

View Full Version : swapping primers

Harpman
03-07-2006, 04:51 PM
I got 2,000 small and 1,000 large pistol primers free, But I dont load pistol yet, can I swap and use these in a rifle caliber ?.I have 8mm, 7.5 swiss, 7.62x54R, and 303 brit, using cast reduced loads, surplus powder wc860, or with Unique and red dot powders reduced loads also.

felix
03-07-2006, 05:16 PM
Large pistol and large rifle can be swapped with caution. Small pistol and small rifle more readily. Most pistol primers, large and small, will crack open at 45K cup, some at 40K, and are lot and brand dependent. Some large pistol primers in large rifle cases will seat too far down into the pocket. Make sure you seat them all the way down in every case, literally. If the rifle caliber gun fires consistently you are OK. In general, don't use large rifle primers in large pistol cases, unless the primers, in every case, literally, seat below flush. ... felix

StarMetal
03-07-2006, 05:18 PM
Harpman,

In very few certain applications can you use a pistol primer in a rifle cartridge. First off 860 is a slow ball powder and would required a good hot primer, so I wouldn't use that powder with a pistol primer. Unique would be okay to use with a pistol primer. It's important to remember that only to use a pistol primer with low pressure loads when used in a rifle cartridge. The only time I use a pistol primer is in a cast reduced load in a 22 Hornet. That case also has a very small volume and I was sure the rifle primer was blowing the small charge of powder and the bullet into the bore. By using pistol primers my groups shrank.

To just be safe I'd swap them for rifle primers if I were you.

Joe

Harpman
03-07-2006, 05:19 PM
Thanks felix, are the pistol large and small generally a lighter primer than rifle ? , Less hot ?

felix
03-07-2006, 05:21 PM
Generally speaking, pistol primers are more gentle. But no guarantee they will shoot better. That is a case by case problem. ... felix

Harpman
03-07-2006, 05:23 PM
For plinking I been using 10-12 grains red dot and unique in the rifles I mentioned, think that would be safe ?.dont know anyone around here to swap with.

Pystis
03-07-2006, 05:28 PM
I got 2,000 small and 1,000 large pistol primers free, But I dont load pistol yet, can I swap and use these in a rifle caliber ?.I have 8mm, 7.5 swiss, 7.62x54R, and 303 brit, using cast reduced loads, surplus powder wc860, or with Unique and red dot powders reduced loads also.

I´ve been told to use magnum primers or bigger flash holes with std. primers. I actually found those 0,12" holes to have great deal on accuracy with VVN-310 powder/185gr boolit/CCI200LR primers in 7.62x54R. Before I opened the holes I got 3" patterns @ 100 yd. After drilling I got group 1-2" groups and the loads weren´t position sensitive at all. Just my 2 cents.

Jukka

felix
03-07-2006, 05:39 PM
Jukka, experimenting is fun! Different powders/loads produce different results with primer holes. Try those cases with N110 now, and compare those cases with smaller holes. ... felix

Maven
03-07-2006, 06:12 PM
Harpman, No one's mentioned the thinner primer cup on large pistol primers. It may not be a problem with mild loads in commercial rifles, but the ones you mentioned are all (8mm too?) milsurp with a very heavy firing pin fall. By using the LP primers in place of the LR ones, you risk piercing them.

Pystis
03-07-2006, 06:17 PM
Jukka, experimenting is fun! Different powders/loads produce different results with primer holes. Try those cases with N110 now, and compare those cases with smaller holes. ... felix

Yep,

I guess that´s the point on casting and reloading in general. You can always buy commercial or milsurp ammo and blast away. Tried that, but not for me... Like fixing cars, you can always use repair shops, if you wan´t. But if you DIY, you may save alot of money and learn things you didn´t know to exist.

This is also a neat way to enhance my English skills, as 99.9% of information on casting is in English.

And Felix, I´ll try that N110.

Jukka

trooperdan
03-07-2006, 08:52 PM
Hi Jukka;

Well, it is obvious that you don't need much practice with your English as it appears to be most excellent here. Your post's "read" just like a native english speaker. Not at all like the time I was in Germany and asked a German friends wife if she was cold, literally translating from English into Deutsch, "Sind Sie kalt?" After her husband finsihed choking on his bier he frostily informed me that she was indeed NOT! :)

I just wanted to say "hi" as I am a collector of Finnish Mosin Nagants, especially "Uncle Pekko" and would love to visit Finland some day.

I

MT Gianni
03-08-2006, 12:12 AM
Great opportunity, I reccommend a 357 with a 4" or 6" bbl, start with 38 's and a low amount of bullseye, and a 45 acp 230 gr or 200 gr bullet over unique. Those pistol primers should be looked at as agift from the gods and a sign to start with the short guns. Gianni.

versifier
03-08-2006, 02:33 PM
Harpman, like Gianni said, .357mag's a great place to start with the shorties. This might just be the boolit casting goddess speaking to you in omens. Except I'd say get yourself an Encore. When you want to play with a new chambering, a barrel's a lot cheaper than a new gun, and you can get all of your favorite rifle rounds, long and short barrels, etc.

:hijack: Pystis, your command of English is already better than that of most native speakers; sad, but true. (Lest others think I have my nose in the air, I do have strict personal standards as to what I put out, but I do not require anyone else to live up to them, ever, except my students. :smile: ) As a writer, I have nothing but admiration for the many members from around the world who come here to learn and to share what they have learned, in a language both difficult to learn and confusing to use. If you doubt how clearly you write in it, just for a laugh, go over and visit this site: http:muzzleloadermag.infopop.cc/eve
I have spent a good part of my adult life studying the hundreds of various dialects of English and their use, but there are folks at "the Campfire" I can't understand without a translator! (There's a lot of really good information to be found there, too, if you're into shooting and/or building muzzleloaders, but some of the posters sound more like they're aliens in a sci-fi movie.) :rolleyes: