PDA

View Full Version : Remove Grips S&W Airlite Sc

missionary5155
05-29-2009, 08:07 AM
Good morning
I have a S&W Airlite Sc 357 mag 5 shot 1.5 " barrel. I was going to install my Laser Grips and discovered the origonal grips do NOT have an exposed screw that holds the grips on. So I says" ASK first" before I do my normal "Attack.. repeat Attack" proceedure.
So what is the approved proper method to remove these grips without causing damage to the grips or the frame ?
Mike ... unpacking in Illinois. :coffee:

S.R.Custom
05-29-2009, 11:20 AM
Read this:

http://tinyurl.com/nje8jy

Be careful not to pry too much to get 'em off. The internal hard plastic support will break and render the grip useless.

missionary5155
05-29-2009, 11:53 AM
Thanks Supermag !
My Revolver assemble book is in Peru and I figured asking was best. This is my first "no screw" grip and a pressure & squeeze fit was all I could think of.

missionary5155
05-29-2009, 12:48 PM
Thanks again SM.... Used two thin shank wood chisles. Locked the frame in a padded wood vice butt up and slowly pried grips appart from the heel area watching for the pins to clear. Worked right nice. Thanks !!

S.R.Custom
05-29-2009, 01:16 PM
I'm glad it worked out... :-D

While I can understand why Hogue made the grips that way, I still don't like 'em much. I'd be all about dealing with an extra 3/8" or so on the bottom of the grip if they had the screw like their other grips.